• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

batman #1 cgc 8.0 SOLD for $7500!

15 posts in this topic

maybe the buyer will crack it and display it proudly and say "yeah it's had a little work done" or sell it raw to someone unsuspecting for $20K. Still a great book and not that bad a price considering what a blue label would cost.

maybe the buyer will crack it and display it proudly and say "yeah it's had a little work done" or sell it raw to someone unsuspecting for $20K. Still a great book and not that bad a price considering what a blue label would cost.

I hear you, I do hear you. That's a killer book to have and resto is a great thing and makes books pretty affordable but I don't have a firm handle on resto pricing confused-smiley-013.gif

I figure for $7.5K you could probably get a blue label 1.8 or 2.0? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif For the money I would rather have the resto one as well, but just don't know how to price those things . . .

DAM

8.0s and 8.5s with Slight (P) and great page quality are trading only a tad above $10K these days, and a Slight (P) 9.0 with WHITE pages went on Mastronet for $15K. So if this such a good deal? A lot of people genuinely dislike Extensive resto "Frankenbooks." Others are just turned off by any PLOD. I think the PLOD phobia will abate eventually and the Slight (P) books - usually a small tear seal and maybe a cover clean - will pick up in value. This reconstruction is a harder call.

if you had a gun to your head and HAD to choose:

which book do you pay $7000 for:

this Bat#1

or Spidey#129 9.8

not a 'serious' question, just comparing two recent sales...

Don't need a gun to my head to make this simple choice. I believe the answer should be pretty obvious to most long term collectors.

if you had a gun to your head and HAD to choose:

which book do you pay $7000 for:

this Bat#1

or Spidey#129 9.8

not a 'serious' question, just comparing two recent sales...

I only collect GA books, so I'm not the best person to answer this, though I agree that there seems to be a serious bubble in many books that are not at all rare, Spidey 129 likely among them. That is not the problem with a book such as Batman 1. I was only comparing this price to what Bats 1, which comes up for auction several times a year, tends to sell for. The Heritage bump moved a Slight (P) 8.5 to just under $10K (BP included) and if GP Analysis is any guide, the book won't go much higher. Rather than go out $7,500 for this Extensive (P) book with married pages (a book whose prerestoration value, plus restoration cost, could well have been less than $7,500) , a savvy investor would pony up a couple of grand more and get a book that was likely VG/Fish before restoration, and trades now for much less only due to the silly tabboo against PLODs, a tabboo that cannot last forever. If you're doing the Ian Levine thing, this is a way to save a few thousand bucks on a nice looking book. But if you're looking to double your money in five years, I'm not sure this the way to go.

Seems like a really cheap price - guide price for an unrestored VF is $49,000, so this sold for less than 20% of guide. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Percentages of Guide are irrelevant in valuing restored books. The current PLOD phobia aside, a rational way to evaluate them is pre-restoration value plus cost of restoration. In a world in which Bats 1s are available in Good for $6K or so, an Extensive (P) resto job that costs $1,000 to make the book look like VF cannot move the value up to more than $7K or so. Otherwise, the prices of Goods would move up, as people buy up books and have them restored to sell them at nice profits. If anything, we see the opposite trend in the market, with low grades stagnating as they look ugly, are not rare (relative to high grades) and cannot be profitably restored.

I didnt pose it as a serious investment quandary, but it occureed to me to be a rather difficlut choice even given the obvious differences.

Clearly a Batman #1 is a better book, but this is described as a Frankenstein copy. The Spidey 129 is a high water (so far) movie-induced bubble price and i sclearly a bad move.

To me its a lose/lose situation, a real comics Sophie's Choice.

But again I stress it was a spur of the moment question, not one I think about a lot or wish anyone here should ever have to make!...

Without a doubt if I had to choose I would go with the Batman. Barring a complete collapse of the Golden Age market, this book will always have a resale value within a couple grand of the selling price. Given the volatility of high grade bronze age prices, there is no guarantee that one could resell the Spidey for more than a fraction of $7000, and at that price the upside seems pretty much gone.

The resto doesn't turn me off too badly. I'm all for repairing books. Adding missing pieces (from a different copy, as opposed to reattaching) and marrying pages does. With a wrap missing it couldn't have been more than a Poor/Fair, right? Still, if you want a Batman #1...