• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staples cleaned, Qualified VF CGC??????????????Not restoration???

18 posts in this topic

What's going on here???

I just saw this auction for this comic graded by CGC as QUALIFIED VF.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=741878556&category=68

Staples cleaned!!

Now I don't know about you but I would think if staples have been CLEANED it would be a restored book.

Just like cover cleaned but they give a resto lable confused.gif???

They could possibly be thinking that since the staples aren't actually part of the paper of the book (although they do effect the book)..it's qualified and not restoration (which I would consider to be, anyone else?)

Brian

no one really understands the qualified label except cgc. confused.gif

but as far as collectability goes, it is probably as much of a deterant as the purple label of death. i have seen books with the green label reach VERY low prices compared to a universal book in the same grade.

it's qualified and not restoration

This kind of ticks me off after thinking about it. It IS restoration - and as you all know, I have definite ides that cgc should have different labels for the intrusive vs non-instrusive restoration.

Staple removal requires the book the be dismantled.

What really ticks me off about cgc is that they really seem to have no (*&*(&*(&&^%^& CLUE of what restoration really is.

This should be under their restoration label but they should have at LEAST two restoration laebls - but they don;t give a damn cause right now they are "kings". Not forever though. Unless CGC changes their ways they will be looked upon like Wizard.

That's a big 10-4 - over and out.

And get some reality into cgc!

cleaning staples IS restoration, the book should have received a purple label.

IMHO the qualified grade creates too much confusion, and whatever the major defect is should be incorporated into the actual grade of the book.

I seem to recall CGC answering a question about how they would grade a book that was manufactured without staples and there reply being a qualified grade would ensue. This being the case I would have to agree with the qualified label on this book as long as the book itself was not cleaned around the staple area.

Just look at it as if the staples were removed and then sent in for grading, what label would they use for the book. IMHO I would have to say that a green label would be used.

Here is a link to the CGC question on a book without staples....

Can anyone even define staple cleaning? Maybe the outside of the staples had some corrosion that was lightly scraped off by steel wool. Book never dismantled. Cvr never cleaned or pressed. Original staples never removed. Original staple indentations on centerfold of bk. Sounds like blue or green label, not purple label. That bk is a bargain at 8.0, but I don't collect Flash/Hawkman covers anymore.

Can anyone even define staple cleaning?

Except for something extremely minor, I wouldn;t want to try staple cleaning with the staples still attached. There is too much risk of damaging the fragile paper around the staple holes. Also, you can only get to a small amount of the staple. If the staple is starting to corrode, just trying an "eye appeal" cleaning on only the visible parts will not halt the corrosion. When the staples are removed you also want to bend them in a certain direction - for example, the top leg bend slightly in and the bottom leg bent slightly out - this will help you to properly orient the staples back in the book. Also you want to be sure you can differentiate between the top and bottom staple. Handle them individually, cleaning them one at a time and putting them in a small folded triangle of paper with info like Action 119 Top Staple.

You can use a few techniques to clean the staples. The simplest is the gentle use of ultra fine steel wool. You may also use a small untrasonic cleaner or a rust dissolving solvent followed by an ultrasonic cleaning to remove the solvent, all depending on the degree of corrosion.

It is easier to get the staples out than putting them back, but both require very delicate handling. I preferred to not use tools like tweezers etc for removal. I preferred to use my fingernails. I can feel the paper beneath the staples and have greater control over not damaging it.

Hope this helps.

Hey poverty...thanks for the instruction... I have a couple books that I have been wanting to do this too... they are books that are kept personal collection and I hate the rusty staples.. mad.gif . They have a tendancy to make the book look worse than it really is and I think leaving them in that condition would cause further deteriation of the book... frown.gif