• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dead out there?

48 posts in this topic

There are over 100,000 comic books on Ebay and people don`t have time to look at all of them. To make your books stand out, offer free shipping, not only will more people look at your book but Ebay will put you up higher in the search results.

The other thing is people are either looking for low grade cheap priced readers or the other extreme is high grade cgc keys.

..it seems that slabbed books starting at .99 for no reserve auctions is the way to go when listing high grade cgc keys especially... i have had many books started this way set new gpa highs...a lot of it does have to do with longer listing times,high search terms in title,high demand books,ect.. but thats all i usually put on ebay.1 or 2 books every few weeks... the avengers 2 cgc 8.5 for sale in the forum area will be the next at .99.if it doesnt sell here...and see where it goes. offered here at right about last gpa,and with nicer page quality,and $100 less than the last clink sale with same page quality...and no real interest. so we shall see how it goes for 10 days on ebay starting tonight,and hopefully set an new gpa.....

My post was really more about "gee, nobody even looked at these auctions"

Not trying to sound like a , but if I was looking at a page of search results for TOS, rolled my cursor over the "enlarge" button and saw a postage stamp size scan of a book in a wrinkly bag, I wouldn't bother to click on the auction to look.

you win. i shouldn't have listed auctions where the link to the photobucket pics (rather than the tiny ebay pic) no longer worked. i came to this realization that the photobucket account had been deactivited in the middle of the auctions and didn't have the energy to re-scan the images as i could no longer find them in my pc directory. i wasn't thinking that people can take a look at the pic without ever "viewing" the auction. the larger photobucket pic showed the book a lot better, even with the wrinkles on the bag.

Not trying to sound like a , but if I was looking at a page of search results for TOS, rolled my cursor over the "enlarge" button and saw a postage stamp size scan of a book in a wrinkly bag, I wouldn't bother to click on the auction to look.

With that said, I recently sold this TOS 68 out of my store for $10 (same krappy scan, broken photobucket link), so I figured a #73 in much better condition (and "worth" 50% more in guide) wasn't unreasonably priced at a $9.99 starting bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230266197732&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

I've posted and sold 30 long boxes of comics on Ebay in the past 4 months. Each one at 99 cent no reserve. All have been raw and many have been non key low/mid grade...

Selling them individually is tough. Real tough. Would have taken me ten years. I put most of them in lots... many times I got burned, but many times I actually got book value. It's really all about the titles when listing lots, and about the particular book when listing singles.

Ebay is such a hit and miss game.. it only takes two people to get into a bidding war on your books and your all good. If it's just one then your screwed.

Good luck. Ebay does suck, but its a pretty good barameter for the market place... if your selling good books they will sell, if not, then...well....

I've posted and sold 30 long boxes of comics on Ebay in the past 4 months. Each one at 99 cent no reserve. All have been raw and many have been non key low/mid grade...

Selling them individually is tough. Real tough. Would have taken me ten years. I put most of them in lots... many times I got burned, but many times I actually got book value. It's really all about the titles when listing lots, and about the particular book when listing singles.

Ebay is such a hit and miss game.. it only takes two people to get into a bidding war on your books and your all good. If it's just one then your screwed.

Good luck. Ebay does suck, but its a pretty good barameter for the market place... if your selling good books they will sell, if not, then...well....

Good point about selling books on an individual basis. I will end up selling many books on their own, but will also group books of a certain title or genre if I feel that they won't sell/sell well by themselves.

There are so many books out there and unless they have the grade in the title I will rarely look at them. Could be just me hm

Me too.

Not trying to sound like a , but if I was looking at a page of search results, rolled my cursor over the "enlarge" button and saw a wrinkly bag, I wouldn't bother to click on the auction to look.

:gossip: that's not what I heard....,

I recently started listing on E-Bay also after a long absence. The fees are ridiculous now. Ive been trying running 30 day listings with a B.I.N. as its only 35 cents I think up front. Theres been very little action, and I have my stuff priced right compared to what others are asking. I think theres just too much saturation right now. Theres just tons of stuff in every grade and price range. Ive also been getting low-ball offers of 25% of asking price which I ignore. I'd rather just put the stuff back in the boxes than give it away.

DRX

Not trying to sound like a , but if I was looking at a page of search results, rolled my cursor over the "enlarge" button and saw a wrinkly bag, I wouldn't bother to click on the auction to look.

:gossip: that's not what I heard....,

:roflmao:

zing

-slym

A lot of good points in here but I think I will have to agree with the one that everything on eBay comics wise is either a hot item or totally ignored. Stuff I sell is either total giveaways or something I think is hot enough to get a handful of bidders to fight over it. I have a bunch of single issues I would like to unload but I'm saving eBay for the last resort because I don't think they will do good on there. Who wants Vision And The Scarlet Witch #11? Nobody.

My auctions have been pretty decent.

Being in Canada, I ship to the USA using Canada Post International Small Packet (insured up to $100) which costs more that the standard regular mail.

But my experience shows that 10-20% of all my packages go "missing" if I send via snail mail.

So anyway, I post the shipping cost as $4.99 for one book and add 50 cents for each additional book....I lose money on the shipping part but gain (I think) by having a lower shipping cost and starting all auctions with a 99-cent starting price.

Plus, I don't believe I'm selling any "dogs" either, it's all cool Silver and Bronze Age stuff.

So far, the sales have been okay.

I don't know if me raising shipping to $5 for unlimited priority from $3 for unlimited media hurt me...probably for the cheapest books, but I HATED selling individuals of those anyway (and my listings for those still say $3 anyway). I just found it so much easier to stick things in a priority flat rate rather than taping shut a big envelope, particularly as the flat rate envelope made it all stiffer.

and yes, i know, some of you say everything should be boxed. that's a lot of overkill for an $8 comic sometimes. not to mention, the boxes cost almost $1. 4-6 pieces of stiff cardboard in a flat rate envelope never presented any problems or complaints.

Anyone who buys boxes should invest in a good razor-knife and troll behind appliance stores for those boxes. They are double-thick cardboard and not only work wonders for the "sandwich," but can be cut into any size & shape box you want.

I have become somewhat of an artisan with crafting to-fit boxes...

;)

-slym

Anyone who buys boxes should invest in a good razor-knife and troll behind appliance stores for those boxes. They are double-thick cardboard and not only work wonders for the "sandwich," but can be cut into any size & shape box you want.

I have become somewhat of an artisan with crafting to-fit boxes...

;)

-slym

really, you cut up boxes to make your own smaller comic-size boxes? how much tape does that entail?

i cut up boxes to make my sandwhiches.

a fedex box is fine but adds a lot of postage costs for a $7 book if I'm not shipping media, no?