• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

George, I know you are not the bad guy in any of this and I applaud your actions. I was just wondering if there is a way to have the auction listings as a whole fed directly to your system with CGC numbers, before the auction starts, so that when the auctions end, you can tell if any of the items are not reported? At that point you could ask the person reporting to fill in the blanks.

Everyone who sends their auctions to be included in our Live Links does this now. However, I'm not sure what you mean with respects to those sales not reported. If they're not reported (say 200 out of 500 are not reported) then the assumption is that they were not sold. Another assumption is that there were reserves. Of course if there are no reserves, that's another story (although even in that scenario the sale could fall through). If hope I haven't misunderstood your question.

No,you answered, but it seems that instead of "assuming" you might consider a 2nd step. Asking the reporters to be specific about those 200 that were not reported.

Of course you will have to again, rely on their honesty, but maybe having to submit a specific answer, will aid in some people remembering?

I have to say, although I don't like the fees on Heritage, I do like the fact that their information is left up, I use their reference section all the time.

Understand and a fair comment. I don't think that's a difficult addition to the data we already ask for, but there's not much I can do with it in the current model. If the book didn't sell (for whatever reason) we don't report on it.

Or you could just ask all the family and friends you've alienated with your charming personality why they can't stand you. That should be a pretty comprehensive list of passive-aggressive behavior.

Domo making more friends I see. :roflmao:

I thought you were coming to visit me. 14iigsnjpg.gif

I did. Got turned away at the door. The facility you're in apparently only allows family. (shrug)

You may now continue alienating the rest of the board. :foryou:

Or you could just ask all the family and friends you've alienated with your charming personality why they can't stand you. That should be a pretty comprehensive list of passive-aggressive behavior.

I did. Got turned away at the door. The facility you're in apparently only allows family. (shrug)

:roflmao::roflmao:

46 pages and counting. (shrug)

Eventually this thread will wind down and a new topic will become the flavor of the day. :popcorn:

The boards will go quiet and we will return to the "post your coverless comics from June 1939" thread. :acclaim:

Cosmetic changes might be made and the hobby might be marginally improved. hm

In the end what was this thread about? A naivety on the part of some? Taking our anger out on a few? Another story of Maximizing profits in the hobby ? :headbang:

When the smoke clears all will be forgiven. The addicts still need their dealers who will be happy to provide their next fix. Whoever has the best drugs will continue to get the business. :banana:

"Heritage - take a look at the Superman 4 and 6 sales which skewed those numbers way high. And we aren't even sure if those sales ever actually took place."

These two sales did "take place". (thumbs u

I thought George contacted Heritage recently and was told the sales did not go through. (shrug)

The facility I was using is called the men's room. You were turned away for obvious reasons. (thumbs u

George, I know you are not the bad guy in any of this and I applaud your actions. I was just wondering if there is a way to have the auction listings as a whole fed directly to your system with CGC numbers, before the auction starts, so that when the auctions end, you can tell if any of the items are not reported? At that point you could ask the person reporting to fill in the blanks.

Everyone who sends their auctions to be included in our Live Links does this now. However, I'm not sure what you mean with respects to those sales not reported. If they're not reported (say 200 out of 500 are not reported) then the assumption is that they were not sold. Another assumption is that there were reserves. Of course if there are no reserves, that's another story (although even in that scenario the sale could fall through). If hope I haven't misunderstood your question.

No,you answered, but it seems that instead of "assuming" you might consider a 2nd step. Asking the reporters to be specific about those 200 that were not reported.

Of course you will have to again, rely on their honesty, but maybe having to submit a specific answer, will aid in some people remembering?

I have to say, although I don't like the fees on Heritage, I do like the fact that their information is left up, I use their reference section all the time.

Understand and a fair comment. I don't think that's a difficult addition to the data we already ask for, but there's not much I can do with it in the current model. If the book didn't sell (for whatever reason) we don't report on it.

But you can add a category for "book sold but not reported". That way someone looking up the data will see the ID number of the specific book and can question further.

Just a suggestion...nothing is going to be perfect, because people report the data, and people are not perfect.

Eventually this thread will wind down and a new topic will become the flavor of the day. :popcorn:

The boards will go quiet and we will return to the "post your coverless comics from June 1939" thread. :acclaim:

In the end what was this thread about? A naivety on the part of some? Taking our anger out on a few? Another story of Maximizing profits in the hobby ? :headbang:

When the smoke clears all will be forgiven. The addicts still need their dealers who will be happy to provide their next fix. Whoever has the best drugs will continue to get the business. :banana:

Darn, and I think I just got rid of my last 1939 coverless comic...

maybe;)

"Heritage - take a look at the Superman 4 and 6 sales which skewed those numbers way high. And we aren't even sure if those sales ever actually took place."

These two sales did "take place". (thumbs u

I thought George contacted Heritage recently and was told the sales did not go through. (shrug)

Here's what George posted about the conversation with Halperin...

Ok, Jim Halperin responded within hours of my email. He confirmed that two very aggressive bidders (obviously), both on HA Live, went for the books. They have a deposit from the successful bidder, but have thus far been unable to collect the rest of the funds due to them.

They are probably going to have to foreclose and resell the books in the February auction.

Until they foreclose on the two sales and there is an actual shortfall and the buyer doesn't cover that shortfall, Jim mentioned that their web site might have to show them as sold. He is checking on that to make sure.

I have seen this happen before on their site, which because is automated, can take some time to reflect what happens with payments that fall through.

An incredibly astute and accurate post.

Hi folks,

So, exactly what he has said earlier, a couple of consigners have pressured him into not reporting a few sales - not good, and I'm certainly not happy about that. He and I had a frank conversation about it and Doug has committed to sending the data and talking to the consigners about reporting their future consigned sales. I do see where he was coming from, but also drove the point home with respects to reporting ALL sales data, and, explaining to the consigners (whom he acknowledges may leave his site) that this is the way to go. He agrees.

George

Too bad if they leave. If consignors aren't getting the prices they want. Maybe they should go to another site. No offense intended, i'm just saying.

Anybody who reports to GPA ought to report all their sales. If they consign books they should let it be known in their terms that all finalized sales will be reported.

Kudos to you for getting in touch and trying to get things straightened out.

The facility I was using is called the men's room.

And the man you were servicing was George Michael?

An incredibly astute and accurate post.

Word.

GPA is, at best, a tool to be used to help you determine what you think is an appropriate price. The fact that it doesn't include CLink renders it faulty. If you think that it is supposed to be a perfect tool then you haven't been paying much attention.

And CLink deletes a significant number of auctions very quickly. From what I can tell, it deletes the ones that don't sell for what the seller wanted. If you are going to hammer one site, you need to hammer the site that controls the market for doing the same thing.

Exactly. (thumbs u

george,

you should start keeping track of forum CGC sales, since those sales data are legit. :wishluck:

regards,

elrod

I think the problem with board sales, is the fact that some board members might price things way cheap, in hopes of moving product, and at times 20 people would be willing to line up for those prices. I'm guilty of of that at times.

Although there are plenty of top dollar prices paid, many sell to move product.

For example, if I have 3 copies of book X in 9.9 condition.....

I might sell one at auction, a second sits on my ebay store or a broker exchange, the the 3rd I put at a low price on the boards, knowing that possible brisk sale will not go into GPA.

I really think I would rather have no data from a source than some good and some bad. I'm not sure that is entirely logical, but it is how I feel.

We feel the same way...but no data at all is worse. :(

Couldn't disagree more.

GPA average on an Avengers #66 in 9.4 is $300, let's say.

Mr Schmell 'sells' a copy for $1,000 and another one for $100...but he only reports the $1,000 'sale'.

This is better than not reporting at all? :screwy:

How about the fact that literally thousands of books a day are sold through C-Link.

But because Josh refuses to report a small number that sell through auction for ridiculously low amounts GPA is does not have access to ANY of C-Link's sales data.

If the number of books selling for low amounts is so miniscule and meaningless...then why does Josh insist they not be included before he'll report his data? And if C-Link refuses to report their data unless they can only include the data that skews the numbers high...then to hell with their data.

I honestly can't believe I'm sitting here watching people try to make excuses for this blatant market manipulation tactic.

I think a lot are arguing because they don't want people to start questioning the high prices for slabs. May make prices drop. :gossip: NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS, CONTINUE BIDDING WELL BEYOND GPA IN ALL THE ONGOING AUCTIONS. :whee:

george,

you should start keeping track of forum CGC sales, since those sales data are legit. :wishluck:

regards,

elrod

I think the problem with board sales, is the fact that some board members might price things way cheap, in hopes of moving product, and at times 20 people would be willing to line up for those prices. I'm guilty of of that at times.

Although there are plenty of top dollar prices paid, many sell to to move product.

For example, if I have 3 copies of book X in 9.9 condition.....

I might sell one at auction, a second sits on my ebay store or a broker exchange, the the 3rd I put at a low price on the boards, knowing that possible brisk sale will not go into GPA.

It's a polarizing subject...

Reporting board sales to GPA