• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chew Set Scoring - input requested

192 posts in this topic

I have had a few requests to change the scoring on the Chew set. These are the facts/assumptions I have been given to consider. Feel free to discuss and I will amend the scores by the end of the week.

Chew #1

First Printing should be more valuable? Agreed! 48 points.

Larrys/Limited Edition should be less than reprints? Agreed! 36 points.

Reprints should be higher? Agreed not to change reprints.

Chew #2

Second Printing is difficult to find/more valuable? Pending - still be worked out.

Are these temporary trends...or do you feel the books will retain these values in the long run? Chew doesn't look like it is slowing down any time soon.

Any other feedback or suggestions besides the above???

Thank you!

Thank you ComicDiva for taking valuable time out of your night to post those extremely helpful photos.

(worship)

:foryou:

No need to thank me, happy to help out. Besides, I'm all snowed in so with two snow days, needed something to do. (thumbs u

Jeff and I chatted offline and agreed these are the recommended points going forward.

Anyone disagree?

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 2nd print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 3rd print

36 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, Larry's Comics Variant (3rd prnt)

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 4th print

No this seems more than fair. It's been interesting an interesting debate (thumbs u

Now our many points should the new $1 printing be worth? how about 34

:jokealert:

I have had a few requests to change the scoring on the Chew set. These are the facts/assumptions I have been given to consider. Feel free to discuss and I will amend the scores by the end of the week.

Chew #1

Chew #2

Second Printing is difficult to find/more valuable? Pending - still be worked out.

Are these temporary trends...or do you feel the books will retain these values in the long run? Chew doesn't look like it is slowing down any time soon.

Thank you!

I'm not convinced anything needs to be done about the second print of issue two. It's certainly harder to find etc but how desirable to most collecters is it and do most people who want one have one already (shrug)

As a big Chew fan I can't see it slowing down. It has a huge cult following and the potential to gather a popular following (film anyone?). I honestly believe it's down to whether or not Layman and Guillory make it on other titles. I believe WD's continued success is down to Kirkman becoming influential within the comic world (that and it's one cool book). If Laymans career does not take him further than chew (which i must admit I hope it does) then eventually when Chew ends it's popularity and value will wane, just my 2c

I'm not convinced anything needs to be done about the second print of issue two. It's certainly harder to find etc but how desirable to most collecters is it and do most people who want one have one already (shrug)

As a big Chew fan I can't see it slowing down. It has a huge cult following and the potential to gather a popular following (film anyone?). I honestly believe it's down to whether or not Layman and Guillory make it on other titles. I believe WD's continued success is down to Kirkman becoming influential within the comic world (that and it's one cool book). If Laymans career does not take him further than chew (which i must admit I hope it doesn't) then eventually when Chew ends it's popularity and value will wane, just my 2c

Nicely stated!

:applause:

Looking back on these questions from Gemma then, I think the main ones that were of greatest concern are addressed. Would everyone agree?

I would suggest changing the Larry's Variant in the registry from Chew 1 Limited Edition to Chew 1 Third Printing Variant. Even better, bumping it down alongside the Chew 1 Third Printing.

Are there other concerns/suggestions with the Chew registry so Gemma can see this is either pending or wrapped up?

Chew #1

Chew #2

Thank you!

Said it earlier, but I'll restate... the Art of Chew (not the Larry's version of Art of Chew) needs to have its points increased. Only 100 copies made and its extremely difficult to find anymore.

That is extremely limited, and definitely deserves higher points.

What's the recommendation? Gemma's watching.

:o

sFun_eyescan.gif

Okay, I'll get it started.

50 = Art of Chew CGC 9.8 Universal

That does seem very low for a book with a print run of 100 copies. I would assume with that low a print run and Chew collectors wanting anything available on the title, this would be 75-100 points.

Does that sound right?

I would suggest keeping the #1 1st print with the highest point structure. Even with the low print run there still appear to be copies available and the GPA doesn't justify it being higher than a #1 1st print.

This has alot of potential to change in the future but for right now I'd look at somewhere betwen the Larry and #1 1st print.

Edited by branget

And since it's currently 40 for a Uni 9.8 how about 44?

And since we're talking about Art of Chew then where should we place the Larry Art of Chew "Variant" since it will likely hit the registry shortly.

You mean for Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st print?

And since we're talking about Art of Chew then where should we place the Larry Art of Chew "Variant" since it will likely hit the registry shortly.

If an Art of Chew is currently 50 points (and we are concerned that point assignment makes it exceed Chew 1 1st print), I would think a Larry's Variant would be something less, right?

If an Art of Chew is currently 50 points (and we are concerned that point assignment makes it exceed Chew 1 1st print), I would think a Larry's Variant would be something less, right?

I think that's my biggest concern on it. The AOC should have a higher point value than the Larry's. But I do agree with Jeff that the 1st print 1st issue should be the highest point value (at this time)

Art of Chew is currently 40 points so I'm suggesting 44. It may go higher than a Chew #1 1st print but more time is needed to make that change.

If an Art of Chew is currently 50 40 points (and we are concerned that point assignment makes it exceed Chew 1 1st print), I would think a Larry's Variant would be something less, right?

If Art of Chew becomes 44 points then a universal 9.8 Larry Art of Chew could be 40 for the low print run.

Edited by branget

Art of Chew is currently 40 points so I'm suggesting 44. It may go higher than a Chew #1 1st print but more time is needed to make that change.

If an Art of Chew is currently 50 40 points (and we are concerned that point assignment makes it exceed Chew 1 1st print), I would think a Larry's Variant would be something less, right?

If Art of Chew becomes 44 points then a universal 9.8 Larry Art of Chew could be 40 for the low print run.

I don't know where I saw 50 points. Thanks for catching this.

What's the print run on a Larry's Variant of Art of Chew?

I believe it's 200. So being ranked higher than the Larry #1 but lower than the Art of Chew makes sense. The overall picture has the Chew #1 1st print with the highest point structure which everyone seems to agree on.

I believe it's 200. So being ranked higher than the Larry #1 but lower than the Art of Chew makes sense. The overall picture has the Chew #1 1st print with the highest point structure which everyone seems to agree on.

Just found it on Larry's Comics website.

To celebrate special events, my shop partners with publishers to produce Regional shop variant edition comics limited to 1,000 copies.

I recommend 34 points as that is a much higher distribution than the Art of Chew regular copy.