• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chew Set Scoring - input requested

192 posts in this topic

Considering that Registry point values are based on value & rarity, it makes no sense, however, for the Larry's #1 to be worth more points than a regular #1 - but it does make sense for the the Larry's #1 to be worth more points than the 2nd, 3rd, etc print of the regular #1.

We already established a Larry's Variant should be worth more points, Michael. I agree with you on this.

But that book came out months afterwards, and around the time there were multiple reprints. How could that not factor in?

Because the publishing date is irrelevant when you're talking about variants. Look at Dynamic Forces - pretty much every single variant they do is released at a later date than whatever book the DF variant is based on.

I have to agree with Gaz2810i in that it is a tough call due to the reprints floating around at the same time.

I still feel the Larry's Variant is worth more points than any of the reprints. We are all in agreement on that topic.

But in no way should that book be worth as much points as a Chew #1 1st print, or even close to it. The market prices are so far off on the two, that would be a disservice to any collector paying GPA on 9.8-10.0s and then going to register their book and seeing a Larry's Variant close to the same value.

34-36 points for a Larry's Variant I'm fine with if a Chew #1 1st print is switched to 48 points for a CGC 9.8, and reprints remain at 32 points for a CGC 9.8 - 40 points just puts it too close to a book that far exceeds the value of a Larry's Variant.

But that's just my opinion.

34-36 points for a Larry's Variant I'm fine with if a Chew #1 1st print is switched to 48 points for a CGC 9.8, and reprints remain at 32 points for a CGC 9.8 - 40 points just puts it too close to a book that far exceeds the value of a Larry's Variant.

But if the Larry 9.8 is kept at 40 points then the 9.9 would remain at 50 which is really close to the 48 for a 9.8 1st print. The Larry 9.9 and 1st print 9.8 have comparable GPA. 34-36 is too low in my opinion.

Edited by branget

But if the Larry 9.8 is kept at 40 points then the 9.9 would remain at 50 which is really close to the 48 for a 9.8 1st print. The Larry 9.9 and 1st print 9.8 have comparable GPA. 34-36 is too low in my opinion.

So what if a Larry's Variant CGC 9.8 is 38 points, Chew #1 CGC 9.8 reprints remain at 32 points across the board, and a Chew 1 1st print CGC 9.8 is boosted to 50 points? Then estimated the Larry's Variant would look like this.

Chew 1, 1st print

50 points - 9.8

55 points - 9.8 SS

64 points - 9.9

68 points - 9.9 SS

92 points - 10.0

101 points - 10.0 SS

Chew 1, Larry's Variant

38 points - 9.8

42 points - 9.8 SS

48 points - 9.9

52 points - 9.9 SS

70 points - 10.0

75 points - 10.0 SS

Then, we are still saying a Chew 1st print exceeds all other books, but also being fair to a Larry's Variant. IMHO, 40 points seems high for a variant like this, but it is still in demand with Chew collectors so 38 takes it up above any reprints.

This is just my 2c

Larry's Comic variant of Chew actually says 3rd printing on the inside cover. I'm trying to figure out how it's so different from the 3rd printing? Or better yet, why it isn't considered to be a variant of the 3rd printing?

This is just my 2c

Larry's Comic variant of Chew actually says 3rd printing on the inside cover. I'm trying to figure out how it's so different from the 3rd printing? Or better yet, why it isn't considered to be a variant of the 3rd printing?

Wait a minute - I never knew that as I hadn't picked one up. That changes everything if this is correct.

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 2nd print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 3rd print

36 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, Larry's Comics Variant (3rd prnt)

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 4th print

That's my recommendation after seeing those photos.

Jeff and I chatted offline and agreed these are the recommended points going forward.

Anyone disagree?

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 2nd print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 3rd print

36 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, Larry's Comics Variant (3rd prnt)

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 4th print

Dark Horse Goon :)

Phewwwwww. I got worried there for a moment.

We were all talking earlier and had said if Larry's Variant gets adjusted, so should Chew 1 1st print. The points we were agreeing to were 48 for a 1st print.

This way, all the other books are not even close to the #1 1st print, and due to the high sales on this book and demand it gets the recognition it deserves.

That was the thought process. Hey, and a bunch of forumites worked this out without a fight.

:o