• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chew Set Scoring - input requested

192 posts in this topic

Do double cover books get extra points?

To properly answer a question with a question.....Do you have one and are you selling it to me?

My answer is "No, I do not have one that I am selling to you".

Is it because you do not have one? :baiting:

Too many factors to consider for a yes or no answer. For example if I had one I still might not be selling it to you as we have not yet agreed upon a purchase price.

just remember if it pertains to chew I would offer 20 more then he...lmao

Yep - it gets the same number of points as a non double-cover book.

sandman-50-plat-doublecover-cgc-9.8-f.jpg

I don't get these double-cover grades. If one cover is a 9.4, and the other is a 9.8, how can the overall book then be a 9.8?

Super book, though. But sorry, it doesn't state "Larry's Variant" so it doesn't count.

:o

Yep - it gets the same number of points as a non double-cover book.

I don't get these double-cover grades. If one cover is a 9.4, and the other is a 9.8, how can the overall book then be a 9.8?

Super book, though. But sorry, it doesn't state "Larry's Variant" so it doesn't count.

:o

For a double-cover book, the grade on the label is the grade of the interior cover - that's just how it is. That's also why there's that famous double-cover book floating around that's a CGC 9.8 even though a huge chunk of the cover has been torn off.

It makes sense when you think about it, though - if the outer cover is removed, the book is in fact a 9.8.

You're right. In seeing that book now, then the outer pages serve more as protection, and the real book grade is the inside cover.

:bump:

:whistle:

Gemma, here is the group summary of how we recommend to change the Chew registry for certain books.

1. Chew 1 first print, Chew 1 Larry's Variant, Chew 1 reprints. The recommended changes are noted in red.

48 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 1st print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 2nd print

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 3rd print

36 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 3rd print variant

32 points = Chew 1 CGC 9.8, 4th print

2. Art of Chew, Art of Chew Larry's Variant.

44 points = Art of Chew, Regular Edition

38 points = Art of Chew, Larry's Variant (needs to be added)

3. Chew 2, 2nd printing.

After a discussion on this topic, a few said there was no special situation leading to boosting the points on this issue.

Did I miss anything, team?

I will check back in the morning to make sure no one is opposed, but otherwise I will apply these suggestions tomorrow.

I am glad that you could all come to an agreement without any major issues! :banana:

:gossip: can I get you to coach the rest of the board members on how well this can work? lol

Not trying to throw a spanner in the works here, and I suppose I should have joined in the discussion earlier, I've just been too busy to be on the boards much lately. But with AOC's having such low print runs (and being desirable books for the time being), shouldn't they be equal with (or at least close to) Chew #1 1st print which was a much higher print run?

I know that Chew #1 was the one that started it all, but surely a scarce issue that will be harder to come across should garner a points total that reflects it's rarity?

I'm really not bothered how the points end up to be honest as I have no intention of competing for first place in the registry, just some food for thought is all.

It's a fair question, Gav, whether late to the party or not.

It came up about it being worth more points, but participants in the discussion at the time felt it would detract from Chew 1 first print being the kickoff issue.

But I would have been okay either way.

• Administrator

:news:

It has been brought to our attention that the Larry's Comics Edition of The Art of Chew were not labeled as variants, but rather a note was made in the Art Comments section. These books will now be labeled as a variant (which will also allow me to create a separate slot for them, as requested). If you have a Larry's Comics Edition that is not labeled as a variant, we ask that you submit it with your next CGC submission, listed on a ReHolder submission form (for tracking purposes) with a clear note stating the mislabeling of the comic. We will relabel all of them at no additional charge.

Thank you! :foryou:

hey Guys,

The chew #1 was produced for a Rob Guillory signing at my shop that did NOT take place for reasons beyond our control. It shipped the same day the 3rd printing shipped. Rob eventually signed at my Westford show a few months later. By then Chew had blown up quite a bit.

from what I KNOW it is the most limited chew comic. by far.

#1 had a print run of 6,000+

#1 second print was 3,000+

my shop variant is ltd to 1,000. you can verify that with Image central. Joe Keating. They print to order

Also I have been told by MANY Guillory fans that the book produced for my shop is their favorite cover. mine too

http://larryscomics.net/images/shop/chew1larry.jpg

Larry Doherty

Larry's Comics, Inc est 1988

66 Lakeview Ave

Lowell, MA 01850

978-459-5323

LarrysComics.net

http://twitter.com/LarrysComics

http://www.facebook.com/LarrysComics

LarrrysComicsInc@aol.com