• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Announcing: Signature Services, SSD for all your Signature Series needs!

270 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

March 13/14 Emerald City ComicCon Confirmed

March 27/28 Kansas City Planet Comicon Confirmed

April 10/11 Boston Comic Con Confirmed :news:

April 16-18 Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo Confirmed

May 14-16 Motor City Comic Con Confirmed

August 19-22 Chicago Comic Con Confirmed

June 4-6 Heroes Convention (Charlotte) Confirmed Your Brian Bolland Connection is here!

The Boston Comic Con is confirmed!

GACollectibles has been approved as Facilitator for this event and will be accepting submission requests! Contact and submission information will be posted shortly.

Does "confirmed" mean that someone from SSD is taking submissions for that particular show?

UPDATE:

June 4-6 Heroes Convention (Charlotte) Confirmed Your Brian Bolland Connection is here!

GACollectibles has been approved as Facilitator for this event and will be accepting submission requests! Contact and submission information will be posted shortly.

Does "confirmed" mean that someone from SSD is taking submissions for that particular show?

That means that someone from the group has committed to be there and to take submissions.

Most likely that will take the form of an individual post by that person giving all the pertinent data.

For example, I am the person going to Heroes in Charlotte and working with Brian Bolland.

Once I get the logistics of how Brian wants to sign the books set up completely I will be posting a thread to take subs for that show.

Best,

Chris

UPDATE:

That means that someone from the group has committed to be there and to take submissions.

Most likely that will take the form of an individual post by that person giving all the pertinent data.

For example, I am the person going to Heroes in Charlotte and working with Brian Bolland.

Once I get the logistics of how Brian wants to sign the books set up completely I will be posting a thread to take subs for that show.

Best,

Chris

Will you, or anyone else from SSD, be available to witness signatures from other guests (Tim Sale, etc.) at Heroes?

Thanks,

-Chris

UPDATE:

Best,

Chris

Will you, or anyone else from SSD, be available to witness signatures from other guests (Tim Sale, etc.) at Heroes?

Thanks,

-Chris

We are trying to work on that right now, to see if anyone else is available to assist.

Normally, wrangling the Bolland booth leaves me little time to do anything else so it's a bit up in the air about other sigs, but we are doing our best to try and accommodate everyone who needs help.

Best,

Chris

Aside from an artist not showing up, are you guys guaranteeing that books sent in will be signed?

Only 2 things are guaranteed in life Joe, Taxes and Death...

Aside from an artist not showing up, are you guys guaranteeing that books sent in will be signed?

...and green beer on St. Pat's day.

Which I drank.

So I can go through the trouble of gathering books, shipping them out only to have them shipped back unsigned.

So I can go through the trouble of gathering books, shipping them out only to have them shipped back unsigned.

Joey,

This has been status quo since day 1 of the SS program. There are no guarantees. I believe you have subbed books for SS before, am I correct? No one has ever guaranteed a signature at a convention. Too many factors involved, everyone tries their best, but there are no guarantees.

And as far as your comment quoted above...

happens to me all the time, fortunately, many times creators are at other shows and the books can be signed there with any luck...

Yes

Of course it's not always possible, but it becomes a little different when you are paying for a service. I'm sure it's also hard to juggle whose books get done first when a signing becomes limited or the facilitator is also having books done for themselves.

Joey,

This has been status quo since day 1 of the SS program. There are no guarantees. I believe you have subbed books for SS before, am I correct? No one has ever guaranteed a signature at a convention. Too many factors involved, everyone tries their best, but there are no guarantees.

And as far as your comment quoted above...

happens to me all the time, fortunately, many times creators are at other shows and the books can be signed there with any luck...

Maybe I am directing the question to the wrong group. I can see where this could be a perpetual problem and unless you grab a CGC CAW or employee yourself you will never get your books done.

Regarding getting books signed, I have done it a few times as a witness myself and on 2 other ocassions where someone had a private signing going on and they were guaranteed to be done.

Don't take this as an attack, but me thinking out loud. I do not make every show, and there are artists at shows I will not be attending I would like to have books signed by. If I am physically in the building, I will take care of my own books. I was trying to figure out how much faith I can have in others getting books done for me.

Of course it's not always possible, but it becomes a little different when you are paying for a service. I'm sure it's also hard to juggle whose books get done first when a signing becomes limited or the facilitator is also having books done for themselves.

Nobody pays for anything if the books don't get done. I had a multi-book submission for Mike Wieringo several years ago. The witness missed him at the show and said "I'll get him at the next one." Mike's tragic passing intervened and I got my books back. I have probably had as many books not get done as I have gotten done in the last 4 years. There are no guarantees.

Nobody pays for anything if the books don't get done. I had a multi-book submission for Mike Wieringo several years ago. The witness missed him at the show and said "I'll get him at the next one." Mike's tragic passing intervened and I got my books back. I have probably had as many books not get done as I have gotten done in the last 4 years. There are no guarantees.

Back off, Buckeye. :baiting: It was just a statement. I know there aren't any guarantees, but there is usually an expectation of service when a fee is being paid. Like I said, it's a juggling act and we all know creators can be very temperamental, especially the ones in high demand and the flavors of the day.

UPDATE:

That's what I figured ... but ... it doesn't really seem like anyone from SSD is doing this :shrug:

Nobody posted anything about Emerald City (I had to PM sean, then JJ, and then finally rich_henn before I managed to find someone who could take my books), nobody's posted anything about Kansas (which is 9 days away), and all I've seen for C2E2 is three people from SSD stating that they will not be accepting submissions for the show.

In fact, the only one that's posted anything is GACollectibles for Boston - and his sole post amounts to "contact and submission information will be posted shortly" (which was a month ago - as far as I can tell nothing's been posted since then).

Don't get me wrong here - I think y'all are the bees knees and would love to employ your services for shows I can't physically attend - but you're really not making this very easy :foryou:

With the new rules, I have absolutely NO desire to get books done for people. Some of the posts above are excellent examples that help confirm my decision. It gets down to the question, is $5 worth the headache. My answer is No.

I can't speak for others, but could be the reason you aren't seeing any movement. There aren't any witnesses anymore, so if you want guarantees I suggest the following:

1. Prepare your books however you want for signing + take however much you want from public subs.

2. Get on a plane and go to the show.

3. Get the cell phone number of the CAW on duty

4. Call and pray they can hear the phone when you're near the front of the line and aren't helping others.

5. Rinse and repeat 4,5 until all your books are signed. Don't forget to coordinate all the special signings that will be happening at the exact same time in two different places. yes they will be two people you have a lot of books for. Also take into consideration the 1 or 2 guys who will cancel that you will look all weekend for.

6. Fill out all the paperwork and submit.

7. Realize you have 15 minutes to look around as it's Sunday at 4:45.

8. Get back on plane and contemplate if breaking even/taking a loss was worth all the work.

There, the SS cats out of the bag. Donations accepted for the secrets of a SS former.

Wow...that does suck ....BIG TIME!!!!!

I have to respect and be grateful and thankful to the people who , basically, do us a ...FAVOR.. in taking our books...

There are some of us that would never get anything signed if it wasn't for people like this...Thank you guys.....

With the new rules, I have absolutely NO desire to get books done for people. Some of the posts above are excellent examples that help confirm my decision. It gets down to the question, is $5 worth the headache. My answer is No.

I can't speak for others, but could be the reason you aren't seeing any movement. There aren't any witnesses anymore, so if you want guarantees I suggest the following:

1. Prepare your books however you want for signing + take however much you want from public subs.

2. Get on a plane and go to the show.

3. Get the cell phone number of the CAW on duty

4. Call and pray they can hear the phone when you're near the front of the line and aren't helping others.

5. Rinse and repeat 4,5 until all your books are signed. Don't forget to coordinate all the special signings that will be happening at the exact same time in two different places. yes they will be two people you have a lot of books for. Also take into consideration the 1 or 2 guys who will cancel that you will look all weekend for.

6. Fill out all the paperwork and submit.

7. Realize you have 15 minutes to look around as it's Sunday at 4:45.

8. Get back on plane and contemplate if breaking even/taking a loss was worth all the work.

That's exactly what I did at MegaCon and it was sweet! :acclaim: No one else has your best interests at heart other than yourself. (thumbs u