• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

I think Doug's strategy is better. He has his books in a "vault". Everyone know what was paid for them but the are "not for sale". But we know they are all for sale. His advantage is he is taking offers and does not have a posted price. So if anyone wants one, they better make a good offer and if they don't hit his price, no one knows what was offered, how much he really wants, and there is no stigma attached to the book that it only got "x" amount of interest because they are in his "personal" collection.

I think Doug's strategy is better. He has his books in a "vault". Everyone know what was paid for them but the are "not for sale". But we know they are all for sale. His advantage is he is taking offers and does not have a posted price. So if anyone wants one, they better make a good offer and if they don't hit his price, no one knows what was offered, how much he really wants, and there is no stigma attached to the book that it only got "x" amount of interest because they are in his "personal" collection.

All can say is "more power to him".

Wow...the Showcase 4 9.2 only sold for $51000. :o

It met reserve at $51K?

where was the book auctioned? i never even saw it?

ComicLink.

was the book added at the last minute?

nope, was there during every preview I recall looking at (shrug)

Its in the CL sale section at $89k ($80k to seller).

Sigh.

Sorry Tim, you may be disappointed with me, but I don't agree with your logic about shopping it around. It has been offered on my website and ebay store and appeared in perhaps one auction every year or 18 months. Anyone who bothers to check the census, or read the description, will know it is the ONLY copy that exists in grade. And anyone willing, or able, to spend that kind of money will presumably know that it has been or is available for sale. There are very few people out there who can spend that kind of money so I don't see how the book being available and my attempting to sell it through different venues which have different audiences at different times hurts the sales price.

When it was in the CC auction it reached something like $75k. I bought it for $62k in 2004. The 9.6 sold for a low $180k I believe and the 9.4 sold for $160k. I don't see why $90k - $100k is not reasonable for a 9.2.

I also don't believe in the mechanics that someone apply to prices between 9.6 to 9.4 to 9.2. Perhaps if there were dozens of copies in each grade some fractional application might be appropriate. But when there is ONE copy in each grade I fail to see how any type of percentage really applies. Plus, so far as we know, the 9.4 and the 9.6 are currently out of circulation and who knows when they will be offered again. So this is the highest graded copy available for sale. And, as far as I am concerned, while my price tag is nothing to sneeze at and is only possible for a small group of people having to pay 1 1/2x to 2x that amount for the 9.4 or 9.6 is yet another level up entirely.

Of course, anyone is free to disagree and you obviously do, but this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :P

Mark, it's your book and you're entitled to do with it what you will. Your arguments make perfect sense on paper, but sometimes theories don't translate into reality. I disagree with your strategy with the book, and the fact that it's still unsold despite your best efforts for the past FIVE YEARS should be telling you that it's time to reassess your strategy. Even Dan Snyder is finally admitting that his approach to owning a football team has been wrong.

I could respect you for everything you've said until you added in the Snyder comment!! (tsk):slapfight:

what are you trying to say, that the ole ballcoach was a mistake :o

:popcorn:

Although I have Skins' season tickets, I refuse to go to the games b/c Snyder owns the team. They search you going in, not for weapons, but to ensure you don't bring water or food in so that they can charge you $6 for water and $10 for hamburgers. Every other professional sports stadium around here lets you bring in anything you want. The Skins also got into hot water last year by suing fans who were delinquent in paying on season tickets. One woman had been a season ticket holder since the 1960s!!!! The best quote came from the pr folks of the Wizards when asked whether they sue fans the response was: "Sue fans? Are you crazy?" Snyder is all about the money and nothing more.

I could respect you for everything you've said until you added in the Snyder comment!! (tsk):slapfight:

You think Dan Snyder has been a good owner? :screwy:

Definitely. He has overpaid to prolong the careers of many an over the hill former pro-bowl NFL player. Without him, how would they survive? Especially in this economy?

Sigh.

Sorry Tim, you may be disappointed with me, but I don't agree with your logic about shopping it around. It has been offered on my website and ebay store and appeared in perhaps one auction every year or 18 months. Anyone who bothers to check the census, or read the description, will know it is the ONLY copy that exists in grade. And anyone willing, or able, to spend that kind of money will presumably know that it has been or is available for sale. There are very few people out there who can spend that kind of money so I don't see how the book being available and my attempting to sell it through different venues which have different audiences at different times hurts the sales price.

When it was in the CC auction it reached something like $75k. I bought it for $62k in 2004. The 9.6 sold for a low $180k I believe and the 9.4 sold for $160k. I don't see why $90k - $100k is not reasonable for a 9.2.

I also don't believe in the mechanics that someone apply to prices between 9.6 to 9.4 to 9.2. Perhaps if there were dozens of copies in each grade some fractional application might be appropriate. But when there is ONE copy in each grade I fail to see how any type of percentage really applies. Plus, so far as we know, the 9.4 and the 9.6 are currently out of circulation and who knows when they will be offered again. So this is the highest graded copy available for sale. And, as far as I am concerned, while my price tag is nothing to sneeze at and is only possible for a small group of people having to pay 1 1/2x to 2x that amount for the 9.4 or 9.6 is yet another level up entirely.

Of course, anyone is free to disagree and you obviously do, but this is my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :P

Mark, it's your book and you're entitled to do with it what you will. Your arguments make perfect sense on paper, but sometimes theories don't translate into reality. I disagree with your strategy with the book, and the fact that it's still unsold despite your best efforts for the past FIVE YEARS should be telling you that it's time to reassess your strategy. Even Dan Snyder is finally admitting that his approach to owning a football team has been wrong.

Although I have Skins' season tickets, I refuse to go to the games b/c Snyder owns the team. They search you going in, not for weapons, but to ensure you don't bring water or food in so that they can charge you $6 for water and $10 for hamburgers. Every other professional sports stadium around here lets you bring in anything you want. The Skins also got into hot water last year by suing fans who were delinquent in paying on season tickets. One woman had been a season ticket holder since the 1960s!!!! The best quote came from the pr folks of the Wizards when asked whether they sue fans the response was: "Sue fans? Are you crazy?" Snyder is all about the money and nothing more.

Just to be clear, I'm a die-hard Skins fan and believe that Snyder has been THE worst owner in the NFL. But it appears that it's finally dawning on him after all these years that his approach hasn't worked, and he's finally gone and hired himself a real GM. It could all still go wrong, but getting rid of Cerrato and hiring a real football GM has been the most critical first step that Snyder had to take.

So my point was that if even someone as arrogant as Snyder could start to realize the error of his ways, then surely someone as reasonable as you could also do so after a little bit of brutally honest self-assessment.

Sigh.

Just to be clear, I'm a die-hard Skins fan and believe that Snyder has been THE worst owner in the NFL. But it appears that it's finally dawning on him after all these years that his approach hasn't worked, and he's finally gone and hired himself a real GM. It could all still go wrong, but getting rid of Cerrato and hiring a real football GM has been the most critical first step that Snyder had to take.

So my point was that if even someone as arrogant as Snyder could start to realize the error of his ways, then surely someone as reasonable as you could also do so after a little bit of brutally honest self-assessment.

I agree with you on the worst owner part.

But I don't think he gets it or cares about anything other than Dan Snyder.

It's a great book.

Unfortunately the hobby has been Marvel heavy for some time now but that seems to be changing. DC really seems to be picking up steam.

It's a great book.

Unfortunately the hobby has been Marvel heavy for some time now but that seems to be changing. DC really seems to be picking up steam.

having always been a dc guy, I am finally re picking up some marvels for me (af15, ff 1, spidey 1, etc)... but, the market will determine what is popular at the time, and what is not

Prices seem to be rising for high grade DC Silver, so I can only think that it's because people are realizing how underpriced they have been compared to Marvels.

The other crazy part on any of the high grade SC 4's out there are the prices and price ratios of mega key's to the minor keys/ average books. Especially relative to Marvel.

As an example

X-men 1 in 9.2 vs a generic X-men semi key like issue 35 in 9.2.

Compare that to SC 4 in 9.2 vs a 135 (second GA Flash) in 9.2

Without getting into the particulars of the specific transaction above, my take on the market is that high grade SA DC's, especially semi keys, for some reason seem to do really well. Detective 359, Batman 155 and joker covers, Action 214 252, Wonder Woman 105, Aquaman 1, etc. So when a mega key like SC 4 in such nice shape doesn't hit the $100k mark like it's marvel counterparts, from a financial perspective, I'd think there was more up side (or less chance of downside) with the SC 4.

Ed