• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2022 at 7:18 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Thanks, Dan,

I had not previously been aware of the activities of your friend (or otherwise) Mr Dupcak, but I have now read up on it.

Caveat emptor, as the Romans were well aware, before our medium was even dreamt of.

There can be no issues of restoration with these, as they have been nowhere since I purchased them, and discussion of restoration of comic books would have been met with complete bafflement back in the world of almost 50 years ago.

I will, in due course, post other examples which may be of interest, although most of my holdings of these are not outside the ordinary.

Mr Darvin, of course, would have had other customers besides myself, and the books will probably not have evaporated in the meantime. 

Even if any documentation is no longer extant, there is still the giveaway evidence of the double pair of  staple holes along top edge of cover, and/or the 'FILE COPY' stamp.

Someone, somewhere, will be holding more of these, which these boards may bring into the open.

To forestall any offers which may surface, I am not looking to dispose of any of my collection in the forseeable future.

To answer your initial question, I would personally pay a premium for a file copy with your provenance. 

I enjoy the history of comics and to get a big key with such a cool back story makes it really special in my view. 

To be clear, this is a hypothetical declaration.  Even if you were selling, I couldn't realistically afford that SC4.  But in my hypothetical scenerio I would pay more for your copy than another copy of a book in the same grade. 

On 4/4/2022 at 1:28 AM, KCOComics said:

To be clear, this is a hypothetical declaration.  Even if you were selling, I couldn't realistically afford that SC4

Someone will eventually put another high grade copy up for sale, and if your budget will not stand the strain on its own, how about fractional ownership?

It is bound to happen in the comic world sooner or later, I think.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/showpiece-fractional-ownership-sales-one-cent-magenta-dan-carter-b971150.html

On 4/4/2022 at 1:17 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Someone will eventually put another high grade copy up for sale, and if your budget will not stand the strain on its own, how about fractional ownership?

It is bound to happen in the comic world sooner or later, I think.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/showpiece-fractional-ownership-sales-one-cent-magenta-dan-carter-b971150.html

Nah, fractional ownership isn't for me. 

I've been fortunate to get most of the books I've wanted in this hobby in one form or another. It isn't perfect... My FF1 is restored,  Hulk 1 is trimmed and AF15 is missing a BC. But I enjoy owning them.  

SC4 has always alluded me... but some day, I'll get a copy I can enjoy and appreciate. It just likely won't be your copy lol. 

as others have discussed here often, our next of kin will most likely sell them for the first offer of magic beans that comes along... So documenting the values and making plans for them FOR your heirs would be worth some effort and planning in this lifetime!..  I know this was a long time ago, and DC andothers were giving away artwork etc, but isn't it a bit strange that an employee would be selling company property? Or was the Comics Code owned by the seller?  Im sure theres no liability for you now, just asking how he was okay will selling the comics.

Showcase 4 was always an impossible grail for me to imagine owning when I started collecting in the very early 1980s. It seemed prohibitively expensive then and just within my reach when I started collecting 8+ years ago after a very long hiatus from this now insane :insane: hobby.  It just never made sense to me why this seminal key wasn't worth more than the market & lemming infused prices dictated - likely due to the lack of sale's volumes esp. in higher grades and the DC stigma.  Right now with the explosion of AF15 and Hulk 1 and FF1 and the overall sharp appreciation of these true-blue vintage iconic keys - I predict this scarce population book will be worth at minimum in a blue CGC label at least 15K+ a point within 2 to 3 years.  Regardless I am happy to possess a copy. :preach:

On 4/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, Aman619 said:

as others have discussed here often, our next of kin will most likely sell them for the first offer of magic beans that comes along... So documenting the values and making plans for them FOR your heirs would be worth some effort and planning in this lifetime!..  I know this was a long time ago, and DC andothers were giving away artwork etc, but isn't it a bit strange that an employee would be selling company property? Or was the Comics Code owned by the seller?  Im sure theres no liability for you now, just asking how he was okay will selling the comics.

If he did transgress, he is now beyond the reach of earthly justice.

Only The Spectre could hold him to account, but I suspect he has bigger fish to fry.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, Aman619 said:

And has been told on these boards, not all the art was simply given away. Thankful that somehow AF15 ended up in the right hands before getting to the LOC.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:35 AM, Roger66 said:

Showcase 4 was always an impossible grail for me to imagine owning when I started collecting in the very early 1980s. It seemed prohibitively expensive then and just within my reach when I started collecting 8+ years ago after a very long hiatus from this now insane :insane: hobby.  It just never made sense to me why this seminal key wasn't worth more than the market & lemming infused prices dictated - likely due to the lack of sale's volumes esp. in higher grades and the DC stigma.  Right now with the explosion of AF15 and Hulk 1 and FF1 and the overall sharp appreciation of these true-blue vintage iconic keys - I predict this scarce population book will be worth at minimum in a blue CGC label at least 15K+ a point within 2 to 3 years.  Regardless I am happy to possess a copy. :preach:

It seems like this book is slowly creeping up with some recent sales.  Rick posted 3 copies to his IG account and think he sold all 3 before he even made it to the show a week later.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:13 PM, Iceman399 said:

It seems like this book is slowly creeping up with some recent sales.  Rick posted 3 copies to his IG account and think he sold all 3 before he even made it to the show a week later.

I saw that posting.  It was drool-a-licious (worship)

On 4/5/2022 at 9:13 PM, Iceman399 said:

I think decent copies have been moving well for the past 3 years. I had been actively trying to find a 3-4.0ish copy for the past 3 years and they all were selling pretty quickly unless they had some real presentation issues. I had hoped DC keys would not have the same trajectory as Marvel keys but what you could buy a 4.0 3 years ago will be luckily to land a 1.5 now and that is what cooled my search.

SC22 has also jumped significantly. SC 13 and SC 14 have gone up by not by the same %, and 105 is in mid-hi grade back to where it was maybe 5 years ago while the low grade has moved. Flash 123 has evaporated, and Flash 110 has jumped. (and of course B & B 28 just can't shake that Wedon movie although JLA minor keys have shot up ) - and  ..... I am guessing GL 1# has also moved.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:37 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

The original CCA file copy here.

Any guesses as to how much, if anything, that provenance would add to value?

I haven't posted in a few years, but its nice to see whats been going on in the SA DC books.  At today's prices, I would never be able to repeat what I did years ago by completing a full Showcase run.  Anyways, keep sharing your copies and info, as I really missed the board interactions from guys like Boba.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:30 AM, Sam I am said:

I haven't posted in a few years, but its nice to see whats been going on in the SA DC books.  At today's prices, I would never be able to repeat what I did years ago by completing a full Showcase run.  Anyways, keep sharing your copies and info, as I really missed the board interactions from guys like Boba.

I hope Bob is well. We worked together and I got my first #4 from him. Even better, he helped me put together my honeymoon album for my wife many years ago. Great guy.