• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Omaha" The Cat Dancer
2 2

241 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, the blob said:

I was contemplating paying $25 for an 8.5-9.0ish BS #9 and then I quickly looked it up..yikes, according to recent sales the bottom has fallen out on the Omaha books..a 7.5 slab sold for $1.25 plus shipping?  The shop owner is not the kind of guy you show an ebay price to, so i didn't try to negotiate down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bizarre-Sex-9-CGC-7-5-1st-App-of-Omaha-the-Cat-Dancer-/122391745164?hash=item1c7f1dd28c:g:N-4AAOSwuxFYw4LV

$3.99 for a raw plus shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bizarre-Sex-9-Omaha-The-Cat-Dancer-Kitchen-Sink-Press-1981-VF-NM-/282351414427?hash=item41bd74ac9b%3Ag%3ACYwAAOSwLEtYl45B&nma=true&si=MWCRhdvf4M7KTm6zum%2BQIQzvOBc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'd still like a BS 9, but I have to adjust downward what I would be willing to pay.  I probably would have done it for $10, paying a premium for seeing the book in hand, etc.

Good luck with that!

This is yet another one of those books where:

a) nobody's interested in a slabbed low to mid grade copy

b) if you do an auction with a $0.99 starting bid, you could easily end up taking a bath because, just like it was the case with the OA, people really don't have saved searches set up for this book

But this doesn't mean that the book is worthless. I've sold a handful of copies over the years through BINs - most recently, a VF/NM copy for $40 shipped. And the reason I've been able to do so is because auctions for this book just don't show up that often. So if you really want a copy right now, most of the time you're stuck with buying through a BIN.

2 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Good luck with that!

b) if you do an auction with a $0.99 starting bid, you could easily end up taking a bath because, just like it was the case with the OA, people really don't have saved searches set up for this book

But this doesn't mean that the book is worthless. I've sold a handful of copies over the years through BINs - most recently, a VF/NM copy for $40 shipped. And the reason I've been able to do so is because auctions for this book just don't show up that often. So if you really want a copy right now, most of the time you're stuck with buying through a BIN.

EXCELLENT analysis. I will further add that I had/have a search for Omaha but stopped checking for a while since I already have all my Omaha grails (All Vootie appearances, 5 copies of BS 9, many other oddities like the vinyl records etc), never in a million years would I think that the OA of #1 (in my opinion the best cover of the character) would pop up as a 0.99 cent auction.

Lesson learned

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

EXCELLENT analysis. I will further add that I had/have a search for Omaha but stopped checking for a while since I already have all my Omaha grails (All Vootie appearances, 5 copies of BS 9, many other oddities like the vinyl records etc), never in a million years would I think that the OA of #1 (in my opinion the best cover of the character) would pop up as a 0.99 cent auction.

Lesson learned

3 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Good luck with that!

I would have been happy with the copy that sold for $3.99 plus shipping had I been looking/seen it, assuming it is a first print.

The original art auction result was brutal.

28 minutes ago, the blob said:

I would have been happy with the copy that sold for $3.99 plus shipping had I been looking/seen it, assuming it is a first print.

The original art auction result was brutal.

Yeah, but that's kinda my point here - you didn't see it, it sold for a crazy low price, and now you can either wait around for the next $0.99 auction to show up (which could be tomorrow or 6 months from now), or pay the extra $$ to get a copy right now from your local store.

21 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Yeah, but that's kinda my point here - you didn't see it, it sold for a crazy low price, and now you can either wait around for the next $0.99 auction to show up (which could be tomorrow or 6 months from now), or pay the extra $$ to get a copy right now from your local store.

I only looked because I was in the store and was curious what sales were like online.  Frankly, if I spend an hour looking at ebay stuff every month that's a lot, but that's me.  I know..it selling for $3.99 doesn't mean I could have gotten it for that little at auction given that i might have created a bidding war.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, John Neville said:

Picked this up over the weekend for around $5. First print too! 

1441A0AD-17CF-4A6E-94DF-E21A5148B4D2.jpeg

Lol I ran into it for cheap as well, I didn't suppose you're in Texas? Lol

I passed because I didn't know if it was 1st print. :shy:

On 10/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, John Neville said:

No sir I live in Central FL!  Go back and get it!

If I'm not crazy busy, I just might! :x I thought about it at the time even pulled it out to take to the counter, but then the guy to trade in with wasn't there that day and when I came back he didn't need my books haha

So I kind of said forget it and tried another LCS that would accept or need the books I was offering. I hope it isn't too late though, I'll maybe try this weekend :) 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If I'm not crazy busy, I just might! :x I thought about it at the time even pulled it out to take to the counter, but then the guy to trade in with wasn't there that day and when I came back he didn't need my books haha

So I kind of said forget it and tried another LCS that would accept or need the books I was offering. I hope it isn't too late though, I'll maybe try this weekend :) 

I hope it’s still there. First print Steeldragon Press has a $1.60 cover price and the second print is $1.75 I think. Happy hunting!

On 10/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, John Neville said:

I hope it’s still there. First print Steeldragon Press has a $1.60 cover price and the second print is $1.75 I think. Happy hunting!

ah thanks that's the info I needed :)

lol I went out there during lunch just now, and they were closed, "keeping up with different LCS hours" is a lot like keeping up with Kardashians. We're all divas 

jk

but they were closed, I forgot, so maybe another day. They might still have something else that I had my eye on if nothing else :) 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ah thanks that's the info I needed :)

lol I went out there during lunch just now, and they were closed, "keeping up with different LCS hours" is a lot like keeping up with Kardashians. We're all divas 

jk

but they were closed, I forgot, so maybe another day. They might still have something else that I had my eye on if nothing else :) 

Good lucK on the hunt. Please post that book when you get it 

On 10/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, Qalyar said:
On 10/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, John Neville said:

Honestly, unless it's a real beater, you're probably quite a bit ahead with the 2nd printing at $5, too!

Well now you have me excited, I thought that I took a pic in store but I must have deleted. I want to say it had a price on it, but I don't remember what it was, does the 3rd print not have a price?

On 10/3/2022 at 4:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well now you have me excited, I thought that I took a pic in store but I must have deleted. I want to say it had a price on it, but I don't remember what it was, does the 3rd print not have a price?

Third and later printings are from Kitchen Sink Press instead of Steeldragon.

EDIT: For clarity, Kitchen Sink reprinted the Steeldragon #1 (in a book that went to 5 printings with KSP). At least as far as I know, there is no Steeldragon 3rd printing.

Edited by Qalyar

On 10/3/2022 at 4:39 PM, Qalyar said:

Third and later printings are from Kitchen Sink Press instead of Steeldragon.

EDIT: For clarity, Kitchen Sink reprinted the Steeldragon #1 (in a book that went to 5 printings with KSP). At least as far as I know, there is no Steeldragon 3rd printing.

Will that info be on the cover? To distinguish easy when I buy? Or will I need to take it out of the bag and board?

On 10/3/2022 at 4:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Will that info be on the cover? To distinguish easy when I buy? Or will I need to take it out of the bag and board?

image.png.67bd80fa96d1aeabb5da8e701adc2f37.png

1st printing. Steeldragon Press, $1.60 CP

image.png.fecb15d82ec48a1cb97ac8cbce1640a1.png

2nd printing. Steeldragon Press, $1.75 CP

image.thumb.png.ba700138b1935ed57177767022ee4169.png

Kitchen Sink Press reprint. There are 5 printings. The first four all have a $2.00 CP and I don't believe are distinguishable from the front cover. 5th printing copies have a $2.50 CP.  These are probably not worth buying except at dollar bin rates.

There is also a #1 from a mini series with its own numbering, from Fantagraphics. Different cover, with a white background. That's not a great rarity, but it's probably a $10ish book or a bit better 

Edited by Qalyar

On 3/7/2010 at 1:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

Omaha

:cloud9:

She started out in BS #9 ($1.50 cover is the 1st printing), then BS #10, and from there jumped around a few appearances in and out of her regular series.

I had this bookmarked years ago to figure it out.

The History of Omaha the Cat Dancer

Humble beginnings...

On 10/26/2022 at 7:18 AM, Microchip said:

Humble beginnings...

Strictly speaking, Omaha's first appearance is in Vootie #8. However, Vootie was an APA (like a fanzine in a sense, but effectively distributed exclusively to its member-contributors), and so is vanishingly rare. Also, it's almost certainly not eligible for CGC authentication due to the nature of its production.

But still, first appearance.

Picked this up today - I've always been intrigued with Omaha (Omaha and Cherry are the only strictly adult titles I've sought out). First time owning this for me - I know this book ain't what it used to be (and this one isn't the highest grade), but for $10 I knew it was coming home with me...

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.fccbaa580a6956457ee4c2193d673a24.JPG