• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Book of the day 2/9/2004 (for Justiceleague fiend)

24 posts in this topic

i'm so jealous - this is one beauty that's pretty hard to find in this shape. i've got lot's of JLA's but they don't get to this quality until issues 7 and up. congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

curious - what do DC's go for in the higher grades relative to guide?? or is the phenomenon isolated to Marvels at the moment?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm so jealous - this is one beauty that's pretty hard to find in this shape. i've got lot's of JLA's but they don't get to this quality until issues 7 and up. congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

curious - what do DC's go for in the higher grades relative to guide?? or is the phenomenon isolated to Marvels at the moment?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It is definitely NOT isolated to Marvels. As you'd expect it depends on the grade, relative scarcity of the book at the grade you're after, and which BSD collector or dealer decides they want the book. I've paid my fair share of multiples over guide for the JLA books in my collection. But the range has definitely varied due to the factors I noted earlier.

I haven't done any research on it but I would still believe it would depend on supply and demand. And basing that on an offer I had received for 1 of the very high grade DC's I have, it isn't exclusive to Marvel

High grade DC's for just about any Silver Age title you might select are VERY hard to find. Especially early 1960s. If you can find these books, then paying multiples of guide is definitely the norm. Not the exception. Just check Census numbers comparing some of the top Marvel titles against top DC titles. You'll find that Marvel titles are far more "common" in grades 9.4 and up. You won't find that on the DC titles. Whether this is due to how the books were preserved over the last 40+ years, or just more DC collectors holding on to their books vs. sending them to CGC, is unknown. confused-smiley-013.gif Probably some of both.

I haven't done any research on it but I would still believe it would depend on supply and demand. And basing that on an offer I had received for 1 of the very high grade DC's I have, it isn't exclusive to Marvel

High grade DC's for just about any Silver Age title you might select are VERY hard to find. Especially early 1960s. If you can find these books, then paying multiples of guide is definitely the norm. Not the exception. Just check Census numbers comparing some of the top Marvel titles against top DC titles. You'll find that Marvel titles are far more "common" in grades 9.4 and up. You won't find that on the DC titles. Whether this is due to how the books were preserved over the last 40+ years, or just more DC collectors holding on to their books vs. sending them to CGC, is unknown. confused-smiley-013.gif Probably some of both.

I vote with the latter. We wont know for sure until DCs start selling like Marvel hotcakes. Only then will collectors go scurrying to get their HG DCs slabbed for sale. Nothing like kyrocketing prices to pry our preciouses from our hands (well, enough of us to finally affect the barren DC census!)

I do agree that even when all is said and done, the DCs will be scarcer than the Marvels.... but there wont be as many zeros in the census slots.

Well, looking at just a few DC transactions on Heritage in the last year or so, judge for yourself (all prices are inclusive of BP):

Heritage February 2004: GL 1 CGC 9.2 $13,225 (3.1X Guide)

Heritage November 2003: JLA 18 CGC 9.6 $1610 (7.15X)

Heritage July 2003: JLA 4 CGC 9.2 $2185 (3.9X)

Heritage March 2003: JLA 5 CGC 9.4 $4830 (12X)

JLA 26 CGC 9.4 $747 (5X)

JLA 28 CGC 9.6 $1610 (10.7X)

JLA 30 CGC 9.4 $920 (5.3X)

GL 1 CGC 9.4 $18,975 (4.7X)

GL 2 CGC 9.4 $5060 (5.3X)

GL 13 CGC 9.4 $2530 (10.5X)

GL 19 CGC 9.4 $1380 (8.4X)

B&B 44 CGC 9.4 $2185 (6.8X)

(this auction was the motherlode for serious DC collectors!)

And some big multiples were paid on eBay recently for some prime JLAs, if memory serves.

If the CGC 9.2 JLA 4 and GL 1 that sold on Heritage are any guide, a CGC 9.2 JLA 1 would go for at least 3X guide, although once you get into 5 figures, the multiples don't always hold up, as witnessed by the CGC 9.4 GL 1 that went for $18,975, representing "only" a 4.7X multiple.