• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THe Million $ barrier in collectibles- how does comic hobby compare to others?

42 posts in this topic

So recently the comics hobby saw the Million $ price barrier broken after roughly 45 years of organised collecting.

anyone know how other hobbies compare

eg stamps, coins, baseball cards, PEZ, movie posters

How long did it take for those hobbies to break (if they have) the million $ barrier?

Honus Wagner card sold for a million back int he 90's?

discuss

So recently the comics hobby saw the Million $ price barrier broken after roughly 45 years of organised collecting.

How long did it take for those hobbies to break (if they have) the million $ barrier?

discuss

Whenever somebody starts a thread like this, I appreciate them actually contributing the initial thoughts. I mean, it's your thread after all.

To do otherwise seems lazy to me. Like you want other people to do the work for you.

What are your thoughts?

discuss

First coin to break the $1,000,000 barrier...though it was flirted with for a while...was a 1913 Liberty Nickel in 1996.

how long had coin collecting been going on?

Centuries. It was called the pursuit of kings, because only they could afford it, but when the Renaissance kicked into high gear, and all things Antiquity were greatly sought after, coinage naturally followed suit.

how long had coin collecting been going on?

Centuries. It was called the pursuit of kings, because only they could afford it, but when the Renaissance kicked into high gear, and all things Antiquity were greatly sought after, coinage naturally followed suit.

and that's why this topic, the way its worded, is pretty much garbage (shrug)

There's a thing called the time value of money

This thread does make me wonder which collectables are in the Million Club. Sports Cards, Art, Coins.......what else.

Stamps - exceeding $2 million

Books - Bibles in excess of $25 million; "Birds of America" $8.8 million

Classic cars - $10 million+

Surprisingly, movie posters have yet to top $1 million. (With all the Hollywood mucky mucks, I'm shocked no one has gotten in a match over a Metropolis or Mummy poster to drive up a ridiculous price.)

they came close over a decade ago... but its probably the same as comics. We "knew" we had million dollar collectibles. But until they go up for sale, its all guesswork. So a Dracula or Frankenstein or Kink Kong will have to go back on the market for a poster to crack a million bucks.

perhaps one of our esteemed comics dealers will turn his attentions to the million mark in posters next?

So a Dracula or Frankenstein or Kink Kong will have to go back on the market for a poster to crack a million bucks.

-------

one would think that any poster for a movie that might drive that kind of bidding war would have been kept in enough quantity to avoid it being a million dollar poster, other than maybe Metropolis, which I think got its cult following after the fact? Maybe Nosferatu or whatever it was called. One would think people kept these as keepsakes if they worked on the movie or the poster and what not or worked at a movie theatre and got to keep the posters when they came down even if people didn't think of them as 'collectible". heck, there was always colelcting of autographs that could be put on the poster.

then again, you'd have thunk more copies of action 1 would have survived the WWII paper drives and what not given that Superman was already iconic by then with those great cartoons, just as keepsakes if nothing else. it's not like pop culture collectibles didn't exist...hadn't there already been some collectible craze with dime novel paperbacks or something? heck, when my mother was a kid in the early 40's one of her relatives bought her some disney cells as souveniers/collectibles (where they ultimately wound up she has no idea).