• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers # 1 and # 4 Club
12 12

1,089 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, KirbyJack said:

I’d easily take the after over the before, but the colors are better without the slab.

The lighting is completely different.  I took the first photo on the seller's dining room table with one of those horrible white lights they have in the hospital.  The other one (slabbed) is on my desk with much less harsh lighting.

I have a beat up Avengers #1 so am trying to learn about where it might rank in the 1.8 v 2.0 v 2.5 range.  May I ask how that book above got graded as a 2.5? It looks like it has had a harder life than this 2.0 (not mine; it is currently at MCS):

1437917327_Av1CGC2.thumb.jpg.2749bcd35bd667f70bfd094bed75db1f.jpg

On 6/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

May I ask how that book above got graded as a 2.5? It looks like it has had a harder life than this 2.0 (not mine; it is currently at MCS):

One could argue either grade with both of the example copies.

I think the difference though might lie with the back cover and severe tanning/paper discoloration of the 2.0.

Screenshot_20220625-235950_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3ba8a59c2369128fb7a6ad788f0bcbfa.jpg

The bottom staple also appears pretty corroded.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

I have a beat up Avengers #1 so am trying to learn about where it might rank in the 1.8 v 2.0 v 2.5 range.

Give us a crack at grading it over in PGM.

On 6/26/2022 at 12:25 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

I have a beat up Avengers #1 so am trying to learn about where it might rank in the 1.8 v 2.0 v 2.5 range.  May I ask how that book above got graded as a 2.5? It looks like it has had a harder life than this 2.0 (not mine; it is currently at MCS):

On 6/26/2022 at 2:06 AM, grendelbo said:

One could argue either grade with both of the example copies.

I think the difference though might lie with the back cover and severe tanning/paper discoloration of the 2.0.

Screenshot_20220625-235950_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3ba8a59c2369128fb7a6ad788f0bcbfa.jpg

The bottom staple also appears pretty corroded.

Give us a crack at grading it over in PGM.

Seeing the back cover does help solve the mystery a bit. 

I do have two thoughts. 

1) I would echo using the PGM area. You'll get good feedback and they'll point things out you may not have noticed. 

2) it's a big enough book at this point, that's it's work grading in pretty much any condition.  So I would use the PGM section and send it out. 

On 1/1/2023 at 3:02 PM, mosconi said:

This was a childhood grail of mine and a classic cover I've always admired.  Super happy to have found a copy with a nice wrap, White pages, and no Marvel chipping or pre-chipping.  It was a tough combination and really pleased to have in the collection :cloud9:

avengers #1 new 020.jpg

avengers #1 new fc018.jpg

That's a great looking copy! Congratulations.

On 1/1/2023 at 2:02 PM, mosconi said:

This was a childhood grail of mine and a classic cover I've always admired.  Super happy to have found a copy with a nice wrap, White pages, and no Marvel chipping.  It was a tough combination and really pleased to have in the collection :cloud9:

avengers #1 new 020.jpg

if you ever decide to sell or upgrade this book, please reach out to me first! great looking copy for the grade and with the hard to find WP to boot! 

On 1/8/2023 at 6:58 AM, alexgross.com said:

if you ever decide to sell or upgrade this book, please reach out to me first! great looking copy for the grade and with the hard to find WP to boot! 

Thanks Alex!  I'll definitely reach out to you if I ever decide to upgrade (thumbsu

Edited by mosconi

On 1/1/2023 at 5:02 PM, mosconi said:

This was a childhood grail of mine and a classic cover I've always admired.  Super happy to have found a copy with a nice wrap, White pages, and no Marvel chipping.  It was a tough combination and really pleased to have in the collection :cloud9:

avengers #1 new 020.jpg

Great copy!  Though AFAIK, Avengers #1 was published well after the date range typically associated with Marvel chipping.  I don't recall seeing a chipped copy.

Thank you!  Many of the "mid-grade" copies I seemed to encounter had some chipping or pre-chipping issues.  I'm sure it's not as prevalent with the higher grade copies.  To my understanding, by Jan of 1964 chipping was not a common problem at Marvel, although there were still books that exhibited it over the SA years.  I've seen it alot on ASM #33...

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F6%2F5%2F4%2F24654801%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by mosconi

Hello All, 

I bought a copy of Avengers #4 at a flea market for $10 in 1993. I had it graded around 2001 (cgc 1.8, it was a beater) and sold it shortly after for $150. I've been passively looking to replace it ever since. Well, fast forward to last week. I'm looking thru Pedigree's auction and there it is, a cgc 8.0 beauty in the OLD label. I slapped down a lowball bid (GPA average of what the last 7 copies had sold for in cgc 7.5) and went on with life figuring I had no shot to win. Imagine my surprise two days later when I got the e-mail advising me that I had won. :whatthe:  :whee:

Cross 1 grail off the list of books to acquire before I die. :acclaim:

Avengers_4cgc8.0.jpeg

Avengers_4cgc8.0bc.jpeg

I checked and it was graded in May 2003 (before the pressing craze). The grader comments noted: Back cover light rippling/warping, right bottom back cover small chip out, right center front cover small chip out, top interior small smear. 

I'm thinking with a squish it has a good chance of grading higher. hm

Thoughts? (shrug)