• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,214 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2022 at 11:03 AM, Gregd said:

This White page beauty came today

D78BCDD3-805B-473C-8347-B45D5ACF0182.thumb.jpeg.c0ff6f6f629928434814b6b490e0dcfa.jpeg

Beautiful book! It got me thinking though about the strange cover choice for this issue. This is the first (and only?) Boris Vampi cover that I’m aware of. Maybe it’s documented in the Warren Companion or somewhere why they did not make Boris’ inset the full cover image and used a story splash from Wally Wood instead. Anyone here know why? (shrug)

Edited by Jayman

On 1/29/2022 at 11:12 AM, Jayman said:

Beautiful book! It got me thinking though about the strange cover choice for this issue. This is the first (and only?) Boris Vampi cover that I’m aware of. Maybe it’s documented in the Warren Companion or somewhere why the did not make Boris’ inset the full cover image and used a story splash from Wally Wood instead. Anyone here know why? (shrug)

Yes- it’s what draws me to the cover- such an odd juxtaposition of art

On 1/29/2022 at 11:13 AM, Gregd said:

Yes- it’s what draws me to the cover- such an odd juxtaposition of art

Agree. Really nice to see Wood’s brilliant linework but it seems as though they could not decide on what to do with the final cover.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:12 AM, Jayman said:

Beautiful book! It got me thinking though about the strange cover choice for this issue. This is the first (and only?) Boris Vampi cover that I’m aware of. Maybe it’s documented in the Warren Companion or somewhere why they did not make Boris’ inset the full cover image and used a story splash from Wally Wood instead. Anyone here know why? (shrug)

The speculation in "The Art of Vampirella: The Warren Years" is that it was combination of avoiding the logo covering the heads of the forest sprites on Boris's art, and the chance to highlight Wood's gorgeous artwork.  I really need to track down a copy of this issue.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, OtherEric said:

The speculation in "The Art of Vampirella: The Warren Years" is that it was combination of avoiding the logo covering the heads of the forest sprites on Boris's art, and the chance to highlight Wood's gorgeous artwork.  I really need to track down a copy of this issue.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the fact that they did not use the Boris piece as the full cover image turned Boris off from doing anymore work for this title.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, Jayman said:

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the fact that they did not use the Boris piece as the full cover image turned Boris off from doing anymore work for this title.

Once again, going to the speculation (not certainty) in The Art of Vampirella: They suspect it was because Boris started working for Skywald shortly after this issue hit the stands.  He did the cover for Eerie #34 as well, according to Art of Vampirella it was actually done first even if it came out later.

Edited by OtherEric

On 1/29/2022 at 11:12 AM, Jayman said:

Please keep in mind that Jim Warren was very picky about the covers of his magazines. The story I read was that he wanted to try something different for this issue...

On 1/29/2022 at 3:10 PM, The Lions Den said:

Please keep in mind that Jim Warren was very picky about the covers of his magazines. The story I read was that he wanted to try something different for this issue...

Good info and discussion on a Blizzardy NJ day! :headbang:

On 1/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, Rip said:

At home sick, so I spent some time making a deal for a book at the top of my Skywald want list. Its tied for the highest graded at 8.5 but I think its also the toughest Skywald to get.

So I'm happy to settle for this one until a 9.0 or better copy ever surfaces. Nightmare 15

s-l1600.jpg

I hope you got a sick deal! :drumroll:

Nice book! (worship)

On 1/31/2022 at 5:04 PM, Jayman said:

Oh, and to emphasize the point once again if anyone doesn’t realize how hard this is to come by, Nightmare 15 along with Psycho 14 have to be among THE TOUGHEST of ANY mags to find in high grade. 

Psycho 14 may be one of my favorite horror covers ever. It was a nightmare to find a high grade copy.