• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

off to New Orleans

10 posts in this topic

OK, this is off-topic, as I'm pretty sure there isn't much in the way of comic shops left down there (the humidity, the hurricanes, the flooding...), though there is our very own shiverbones, but I'm there for a long weekend (about 2-3 we take a year there) starting tomorrow, so, aside from French Quarter Fest is there anything happening down there that a board geek like me might be into? I'll be dragging my 4 1/2 year old around a bit as my wife has a bunch of meetings down there.

The two shops in metairie will be disappointing if you are looking for back issues. More Fun comics is on the opposite side of town from the Quarter, but usually does have some fun back issues. A new shop opened up as well, but I have not been there yet, so I can't comment. This shop is not quite as far from you as the quarter. I should be milling about friday & Saturday night at some openings & what not, maybe I can stop by the quarter & say Hi.

Metarie

BSI comics is OK, nothing fabulous, but worth checking out

Underground Media, again, not bad. Lots of statues and stuff

New Orleans:

Crescent city comics-some Silver and up, shirts, statues etc

More Fun, used to be nicer, lots of backstock though

Westbank

Terytown cards and comics- same as above

Slidell

Magic comics and hobbies, lots of everything comics, toys, statues etc (kinda biased, buddy owns it, tell him Tim sent you if you go)

Mandeville

Scool of comics-not bad, priced kinda high. Not worth the long ride from N.O honestly.

All depends what you are hunting for! If you are staying in the city, check out more fun and crescent city

Just wanted to ad, I wasn't bashing any of the shops, but after I went to some of the store in Houston after Katrina, the local places just didnt compare. I get all of my supplies, shirts and statues out here at Magic, so no point in driving all the way down to N.O.

If you are staying that close though, Hit CCC, and More Fun

thanks...i didn't wind up having it in me to hit any spots. if they were in the french quarter or along magazine we may have. we did drive all the way out to madisonville (near mandeville?) for dinner at friends coastal, which is nice, though a bit much to drive. toting my 4 1/2 year old around N.O. during the day makes it hard for me to go to places I want to check out. he does have some patience to go into some galleries and what not, though some of the gallery owners get freaked out when a little kid goes in.

my wife keeps on whining at me for us to move down there eventually. i would probably weigh 600 pounds if we did though. i ate an absurd number of oysters, both fried and raw. the food is just too good and not that expensive (compared to what I'm used to).