• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Collects GA?

47 posts in this topic

Anything with Frazetta art is on my list. His romance comics work is amazing. Simon and Kirby 50's stuff - "Boy's Ranch" is simply beautiful. The Dell Pogo comics are favorites, I like the comic book Pogo much better than the politicized newspaper Pogo. A lot of those Dell comics from the 50's are such kid friendly packages they just make you want to laugh in delight. And wouldn't I just love a run of postwar Spirit sections, most of which I've only seen in black and white Kitchen Sink reprints. Reading an original color Spirit section is a treat. For my money postwar Spirits are the absolute apex of comic book writing and art.

No doubt! I love the Fox sci-fi themed covers as well, and any golden age sci-fi for that matter (Planet, EC's, the Avon one-shots comes to mind), but I just can't afford to collect everything. frown.gif

For GA I only collect Superboys, which aren't much in the Golden Age. I will look at Supermans or Actions and maybe buy them if the price is right, but I am not a completist on those titles (I don't have vast sums of money). But a complete run of Superboys is within my means, though I haven't gotten it yet.

But I wasn't actively looking when I was in school and had no money to buy comics. I'm looking now. I'm hoping to liquidate my other comics and concentrate on the Superboys (and occasional Action or Superman).

I've got one of the worst readable copies of Catman 30 in existence... It's a Gerber 7, as are most issue near the end of the run. Everything is there, though it clearly has been well loved...

I might be willing to part with it, though it's definitely not for NM collectors... PM me with an offer if you are interested.

1038945114792_cat30.jpg

I collect mostly obscure GA stuff, particularly raw strip books such as Magic Comics, Ace Comics, Popular Comics and Super Comics. My Popular run is about 75% complete, but I'll be damned if I can find someone with #1 in any grade for sale. The Supers are great old Tracy stuff...I just can't get enough of them, and even decent raw grades of all these runs are dirt cheap eBay fodder.

I guess my only other GA collecting passion is Airboy Comics and Air Fighter Comics....that run is a work in progress.... smile.gif

thanks its a little too rough for my I'm trying to stick to vg or better That one seems to pop up quite often though a little more often than many of the other issues. Actually almost all of the LB Cole covers show up more often that issues 2-20 or so

Raboy did some amazing covers for Fawcett. I think the cover of Master Comics #48 is fantastic when you consider the perspective and the mirror! I collect what catches my eye in Golden Age comics. I look for high grade Fawcett issues like Master, Wow, etc. I also look for misc. issues from the Mile High collection. This include everything from Superhero to Funny Animal.

I always wondered about that scenario. When Gerber lists a book as having 20 copies or so extant, it seem like it would be fairly easy money wise to buy them up and name your price especially with the kind of connection a Metropolis Comics has. Once you bought up the books spread the word about that issue a little maybe get a article in CBM done? Luckily my collecting tastes are so wide I try to never get too caught up on any one books instead try to spend my $ to get the absolute most buying power. I figure over the years I'll build a nice large collection of stuff I like at a fair price instead of having a few musts and having to wait years for the market to catch up to the prices I paid. Heritages auctions closing this week look kind of slow any ideas anyone?

l

never mind that last sentence all the bids went up almost overnight on like 53 books i was tracking.

Yeah, there is another thread about the suspicious way that literally hundreds of auctions were suddenly all bid up around the same time.

Phil

Howdy!

I collect early actions, detectives, and more funs. I have a decent collection of Good Girl art books as well. I also collect books that are considered rare, oddball titles etc.

I love buying incomplete, low grade, coverless books. They are affordable, can be read without worry, and its great when you can put a book together for a fraction of what it would really cost! I do not collect slabbed books. Comics are meant to be read. I am not attracted by high grades at all, as they are over what I would want to spend, and I think the money being spent on them is with speculation. In a few years, many slabbed books will be very hard to turn around and well.

Lastly, since CGC has pretty much killed the value of restored books, I buy any that I can. The prices on them are great, and the books look great. I dont care if it has restoration as long as it is professionally done.

My collections consists of many early actions, an almost complete run of detectives 28 to 38. And many more funs prehero and spectre/drfate issues. Also have a nice Captain american # 74, New Fun 6, Starting 49, Seven Seas 4 etc etc.

:-)

Ankur

CGC has created a wonderful buying opportunity for u: purple tops. All those gr8 gold & silver bks can now be stolen for 75% off condition guide even w/ just slight pro resto. Crack them out of the slabs for your reading enjoyment. smile.gif

I collect mostly SA Marvels, but dabble in pre-code EC's. I only have a few, as even VG copies can be costly, and I'd rather spend my $$ on HG SA books. One of these days (when my "Steranko Marvel" run is complete), I may concentrate more on these. I'm not a pedigree guy either, but I'd love to own a Gaines File Copy of TFTC. Gotta love those Johnny Craig covers!!!!

Chris