• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Collects GA?

47 posts in this topic

Just curious who collects GA books (including Atom Age). Do any particualr aspects dictate your collection (certain types of covers, certain characters, etc)? What percentage of your collection is slabbed? What grades do you normally seek?

To start, and not new news, I am collecting pre-code horror in VG+ to Fine+ (or better if it is a book I can afford) - trying to balance quality with quantity. Prefer a VG+ cover with off-white or better pages to a F+ cover with tan pages. Seeking one copy of each pre-code horror title: that is, one copy of Witchcraft, one copy of Tales From the Crypt, etc. with especially strong cover art (say a Menace 11 or a Mister Mystery 13).

I prefer to collect the limited run books like Venture X , Strongman or, the books that I am really searching for at the right price/grade, Samson 1-6. I will also collect horror books if there is a limited run such as Monster of which I have #2 of the two issue run.

My most prized books, however, are the one shots such as Miss America or Blackstone the Magician to name a couple...

I don't buy GA in the slab as I want to feel and glance through the book before it enters my collection.. tongue.gif

I pretty much collect the same as you, Pov. Pre-code horror with an emphasis on EC, in about the ranges you've defined. (I'll try not to compete with ya for the same books!) I have a smattering of VF/NM stuff from the era, but can't afford to collect at that level with any regularity - glad I got what I did before the prices got really up. Also love the Gilmor titles - wish I had more of their great covers! Weird Mysteries, Weird Chills, and the like. I also enjoy Pre-code EC sci-fi, any Wallace Wood.

My dumbest move - not bidding to win a Weird Mysteries #5 a few years ago in VF/NM. Ended up at about $500. Oh well....

As far as great TFTC covers - well, they're all great! But, I particularly recommend #37. Awesome horrific anticipation on that one!!! laugh.gif

I collect low-mid grade LB Cole and Schomburg golden age horror, sci-fi, and WWII books. I don't read 'em, just collect 'em for the cover art. I'm guessing I have about 100 books, and around a dozen slabbed (bought slabbed, not submitted for slabbing). I love low-mid grade books with nice looking front covers, but an interior or back cover defect that keeps the grade (aka $$) down. With Timely's, I'm not real particular about page quality as most Timely's have the infamous "Timely Tan" anyhow. In fact, I recently bought a Human Torch from Heritage with "slightly brittle pages" that looks from the front like it must have white pages - incredible color, and the whites of the cover are nice and white (no visible tanning).

My favorite run of covers is Blue Bolt 105-124 (? - Ghostly Weird or whatever it's called after 110), while my favorite single cover is Startling Comics 49. At the top of my want list is Cap 27, 37, and 46, and Captain Flight 11. Anyone?

I collect a little of everything. I started collecting Marvel silver age as a completist. I then moved to super high grade Silver and a ton of Bronze. With CGC the prices on that stuff are insane so I started collecting Golden Age right about the time Ebay/CGC got big 3-4 years ago. I try and collect MLJ,Timlely, Fox., but dont limit myself to just those publishers. If the cover is pretty neat or its listed as scarce in the gerber 7 or higher I try and pick it up. I too would like to have at least one issue preferrably one of the best covers from each run. Grade wise I like unrestored with nice paper and usually try for VG or better copies. Since I am not rich most of the books I own fall into vg-fine range. Some are slabbed most are raw. I wont pay a premium for CGC books but am happy to buy them slabbed since I feel fairly confident about their restoration check and their grading on the Gold books is usually ok and certainly more conservative then most of the larger dealers who sell this stuff. I also have some pre code horror. My main focus is feeling I got a bargain and seeing as I collect and like a ton of different stuff I usually buy at 50-75% of guide or less. I will occasionally splurge (I bought a nice Punch 12 (the calssic skull cover)for guide. But usually I'm a cheapskate ( hey less I pay the more other cool books I can have) Chet

I collect:

Batman: primarily Rogues Gallery appearances (Two-Face & Catwoman are my favourites).

Wonder Woman: Cheetah appearances, and any nice covers that I find appealing.

Sensation Comics: Same as above, as well as the last 13 Wonder Woman issues. I still need a few more, and I would like to upgrade my copies of # 96 and # 97.

Pre-Code Horror: I just love this genre. I focus on Harvey Horror (Black Cat Mystery, Chamber of Chills, Tomb of Terror, Witches Tales). Lee Elias did some great work in these comics, and the stories have the EC-like twists and turns. Harveys are impossible to find in NM- 9.2 or better condition because of the flaky spines.

Fawcetts: You just can't beat affordable super-hero comics from the 1940s/50s. I focus my collecting on the "Fearsome Fawcett" horror issues in Captain Marvel Adventures, Captain Marvel Jr, Master Comics, and the Marvel Family. These issues are at the end of each run, and they are tough in mid-grade or better.

Pedigrees: I collect pedigrees to a lesser extent, but because they cost so darn much and are tough to locate I don't spend too much time or money looking for them. However, I've got a few Mile Highs, Spokanes, Crowleys, Rockfords, and Northfords which are all such killer books--I love 'em. I've got a few Mile Highs that look like they were printed yesterday; I've got a Spokane which has the most incredible gloss you will ever see on a comic; I've got a Rockford that would easily grade out as NM to NM+, it's that nice; and my Northfords are news-stand fresh with blazing cover inks. I know many on these boards scoff at high grade Gold, but if they had the chance to hold one in person, or the pleasure to own one, I'm sure they would think twice.

Condition-wise, I prefer to buy unrestored, VG to FN copies. Golden Age comics in this range are readable, affordable, and yet, they can have some good eye appeal too.

I only have about 5 slabbed Golden Age comics, I don't plan on slabbing any unless I'm going to sell them, or if I suspect restoration. This way by keeping them "raw", I can enjoy them in all their glory!

I collected Wonder Woman GA books, both her title and Sensation Comics. I have about 40 of them, but recently sold 2. These were my focus and some of the few books I was willing to pay 'real' money for. However, those weren't the only GA books I had. In the last few months I sold 2 GA Adventure Comics, a Superman, 2 Atom Age Panic mags, and a Falling in Love. I must have bought all of these for a song because I can't even remember the prices of any of them (meaning no big dollar decisions). You never know what you'll find in a bargain bin.

As for CGC, I had a total of 4 slabbed books, sold 2 (one of them was a GA WW) and still have 2 (no one wanted to pay even a fraction of their worth, so I'm keeing them). I found CGC's grading to be fair on 3 of the 4 submissions, but so harsh as to be dead wrong on the 4th book. I'm talking 2-3 grades off on that one. Inexplicable. I called and asked and still didn't understand the grade. That's one that I'm keeping.

I don't plan to slab any more GA books, except for possibly a Sensation Comics 90. It's in beautiful condition, but I have a fear that it might be restored, and want to know the truth.

-- Joanna

I only buy Captain America related books..and that's only if they're 8.0 or better..and only if they're slabbed without any grader's notes. I'm very picky about these and will usually pass them up even if the price is right. So I guess it's more accurate to say I'm a part-time G.A. collector.

Brian

I just finished my Crime Suspenstories run (mid-grade, solid books!) and am looking now for another book to pick up. Maybe Shock Suspenstories. I also like cool cover Timelys, but will pass on almost all unless the price is right. Am also partial to pre-hero DCs, just for the cheesiness, but they are priced WAY out of line with what they actually go for.

I Collect Disney comics with Carl Barks' covers and/or art. His career started in early forties and ended in late sixties, so basically I collect both gold and silver.

Luckily those "funny books" are very usually very cheap and I buy only f/vf or better from forties and vf or better since fifties.

(For example I paid $30.5 for this nice book

wdc&s96 )

I'm also a virtual GA collector smile.gif

There are many cool titles I would collect but they are way too expensive for me. So what's the next best thing? To collect cover scans!

I collect scans of these cool GA titles: Phantom Lady(Matt Baker, Jack Kamen covers), Zoot Comics/Rulah, Weird Comics, Smash Comics (Crandall covers), Planet Comics, Jungle Comics, Jumbo Comics/Sheena, early Action Comics with Superman covers, All Top comics( Jack Kamen covers)

Marvel Mystery Comics ( Those CRAZY Alex Schomburg covers... wow!)

Good tip for "virtual collectors", Heritage.com has big scans. I even made a few posters from their scans in a foto-lab, after cropping and fixing colors in Paint Shop Pro (very goog program by the way- as good as Photoshop for 99% of users )

13x20 inch photo costs only 6,5 euros=6,5$ so it's really a bargain.

I collect everything, but do like the Golden Age horror books, and anything with a cool cover (Frazetta, horror, Schomburg, LB Cole, etc). Grade doesn't matter too much, but I do like at least a 6.0 or higher.

I collect early Romance books with catfight covers, plus own a few LB Cole romances. I've got a handful of pre-code Horror, mostly unusual stuff. I tend to sell any high-demand stuff and keep anything strange. My Golden Age superhero stuff is almost all coverless except for some early Police Comics...

pre Superman books like early Adventure, detective, New Fun etc the final frontier for many collectors. I dont collect em but many long time collectors end up here as many titles are virtually impossible to complete in any grade. Try finding Detective 1-26

I got introduced to Golden Age material via the DC 100 Page Super-Spectaculars of the early 70's, so my Golden Age focus is on DC, Quality, Fawcett. Originally I was after the comics equivalent of the "type-set:" i.e. one single issue from each title published by those companies. Since then I have expanded into a couple of areas:

1- undervalued runs, e.g. Flash Comics with Kubert Hawkman stories prior to the most expensive later issues (that is, pre #86); Comic Cavalcade hero issues; Star-Spangled Comics Simon&Kirby issues not already reprinted in Jimmy Olsen (that is, #15-29).

2- WWII covers, e.g. Raboy Capt Marvel Jr. covers and stories from Master Comics #30-41; Action Comics in the #40's and #50's; National Comics featuring Uncle Sam by Lou Fine and Reed Crandall; World's Finest #5-#11.

Preferred condition is VG-. Tears, small pieces out of cover ok, but no tape and no split spines, please.

I've purchased precisely 3 CGC comics-- and cracked each one open the minute it arrived! GCG for me is simply a grading insurance for doing business through the mail-- but I'll pay no premium over guide for it.

Cheers,

Z.

pre Superman books like early Adventure, detective, New Fun etc

I thought that what was meant but my stomach twisted at the thought of gathering many of those. Talk about tough! I DID find a Detective 16 close to VF with really white pages a few years ago in an antique co-op. That probably was my life's worth of luck all rolled into one.

I've purchased precisely 3 CGC comics-- and cracked each one open the minute it arrived! GCG for me is simply a grading insurance for doing business through the mail-- but I'll pay no premium over guide for it.

I agree with you, especially for the older books where it may be hard to find reading copies or where they may end up costing the same as other books you may want to add to your collection. I had one CGC slabbed - the ever-popular THING 16 slabbed at 9.0 OW-W (as I recall). I finally took it out of the slab and it looked about twice as nice as it did in the slab.