• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Point Grading Scale- who actually invented it?

36 posts in this topic

If you search these boards, you'll find a post somewhere around 2002 to 2004 where Fishler himself claims credit, and another from Borock where he confirmed it.

I remember Fishler proposing the new scale in a full page ad in CBG.

Does it matter who invented it? It was clearly a collaborative work, beginning with Overstreet's 100 point system, after which the 10 point system was a natural progression. It wasn't created by one person, like the coin grading system was.

Does it matter who invented it?

Yes, and everything ever invented was collaborative in that it was inspired by what preceded it. It matters because giving people credit inspires further innovation from those same people or from other people who want to out-do them.

Yes, and everything ever invented was collaborative in that it was inspired by what preceded it. It matters because giving people credit inspires further innovation from those same people or from other people who want to out-do them.

meh

That's not what "collaborative" means.

And I doubt what came before is what inspired Da Vinci, Edison, and Bell.

And I doubt those guys needed credit to inspire them to further invention.

In something so obviously collaborative as this ("hmmm...they're using a 100 point scale...that's a tad too complex, so let's make it 10...though the only thing that was truly changed in practice was the decimal point"), there's no one person who should get credit.

Very few people *really* used a numeric scale before CGC's great label change of 2003. The old nomenclature was still in full effect, and would remain in diminishing effect for a while afterwards....

meh

In something so obviously collaborative as this ("hmmm...they're using a 100 point scale...that's a tad too complex, so let's make it 10...though the only thing that was truly changed in practice was the decimal point"), there's no one person who should get credit.

Very few people *really* used a numeric scale before CGC's great label change of 2003. The old nomenclature was still in full effect, and would remain in diminishing effect for a while afterwards....

Eek, I didn't notice I had responded to an RMA post there...forgot how pointlessly argumentative you are, my bad, I'll try not to make that mistake again for a while. :eek:

Does it matter who invented it? It was clearly a collaborative work, beginning with Overstreet's 100 point system, after which the 10 point system was a natural progression. It wasn't created by one person, like the coin grading system was.

You are wrong. Al Gore invented it, and it matters. :sumo:

meh

Eek, I didn't notice I had responded to an RMA post there...forgot how pointlessly argumentative you are, my bad, I'll try not to make that mistake again for a while. :eek:

:shrug:

Sorry you feel that way. I was just trying to engage in a discussion about comics. Oh well.

meh

Sorry you feel that way. I was just trying to engage in a discussion about comics. Oh well.

You seem to have spelled sermon wrong there?

Maybe it should actually be more like 15, but eh, 25 gives us something to shoot for!

I agree, get rid of the split grades. They started out as dealer created "scam" grades (what's the chances the VF/NM you bought was closer to NM than VF? Zero to none) but then became accepted. There shouldn't be a grade between FN+ and VF-. If you can't decide between the 2, it's a FN+.

Maybe it should actually be more like 15, but eh, 25 gives us something to shoot for!

I agree, get rid of the split grades. They started out as dealer created "scam" grades (what's the chances the VF/NM you bought was closer to NM than VF? Zero to none) but then became accepted. There shouldn't be a grade between FN+ and VF-. If you can't decide between the 2, it's a FN+.

Why shouldn't there be a grade between FN+ and VF-? If it is used as a "scam grade" then surely anyone would avoid the seller using it as such just like they would for any other bad grading.

When used by an accurate, honest grader, split grades can give a better picture of what condition a book is in. There is so much variation possible in the condition of a comic and there is a big difference between a FN+ and VF- so I think split grade have their place.

The one we're using today was invented by Steve Fishler.

Prior to CGC Metropolis used a 40 pt. grading scale.

I thought it was 41?

meh

Why is this necessary?

When used by an accurate, honest grader, split grades can give a better picture of what condition a book is in. There is so much variation possible in the condition of a comic and there is a big difference between a FN+ and VF- ...

There isn't a big difference between FN+ and VF-, there's a minute difference, like splitting hairs. The only reason there's a difference now is because it was shoe-horned into grading terms (and matched with numerical grades) by people like Fishler who routinely advertised books as "VF+++" (although I don't remember any VF--- books). There never was that big a difference between FN+ and VF- until dealers realized they could get VF- (or VF even) prices for FN+ books if they advertised "FN/VF" (midgrade books might not be a good pricing example but you know what I mean). I'm surprised the grade isn't "VF/FN".

IMO, if you're looking at a book and can't decide whether it's a VF- or a FN+, it's a FN+. If the difference between the two is so small as to make you wonder, you don't invent a dealer friendly grade. Unless you're a dealer, I guess.

meh

Why is this necessary?

Because you are you :acclaim:

I'm sitting here at work, surrounded by 30 women, who rotate 4 at a time, to get up on stage and dance butt naked and I'm taking the time to read about this on my iPhone.

My geekness rules.

LMAO