• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turok Son of Stone Collecting Thread !!
2 2

374 posts in this topic

Some crazy action on the Savannah Turok 32 and 33 in the Heritage weekly auction that just concluded. It's not often that I get beat on Turoks that I really want, but whoever won really wanted those books. I put in bids at multiples that I hadn't had to use on Turoks in years, but the best I could do was to be the underbidder.

#33's are not that common. The Savannah copy was in 9.6 and is the only copy in the census that's over 9.2. Apparently these hard-to-find issues in the 30s were not in the Random House files.

The #32 in 9.4 was still only the 2nd best copy, behind some 9.6 somewhere. But I agree with you that it's a generally tough book in high grade. The early 30s are generally tough for Turok for some reason, probably as tough as any other part of the run except for the first 10.

I had three (raw) hg copies of #33 for sale in the last couple years. I found only one copy of #32 and #35 during all my Turok collecting history and they were part of a full hg complete run I bought several years ago on eBay. They are now sitting in my personal collection.

A #35 in raw VF sold for ridiculous prohibitive price on eBay four years ago by a reputable seller (around $600). It is probably the toughest Gold Key Turok to find. There is no GPA sale of this issue.

The #34 is also a tough one. The other ones (30,31,33,36-39) are more common (or less rare if you prefer) from my experience.

Hope this info helps my fellow Turok collectors :headbang:

Edited by pickycollector

I found only one copy of #32 and #35 during all my Turok collecting history and they were part of a full hg complete run I bought several years ago on eBay. They are now sitting in my personal collection.

Hats off to you!

(worship)

That is one awesome piece of Gold Key OA MLMeade. I can't image where you found it. :cloud9:

I just recently picked up Turok 51 and 52 at an antique store in Ventura Ca. I paid $8 for both but I can't think of many titles from the silver age that I don't mind paying OSPG for a book that's thrashed. The Turok Gold Keys are an underappreciated gem. Here is a shot of my beater 52 to get this thread back on the trail.

Tur52.jpg

#32 and #35 are probably the two toughest Gold Key Turok's to find in high grade. The #33 is relatively common. If I hadn't already one nice copy, I would have bid to win on that #32

When I had my tonsils out my dad brought a few comics to the hospital for me. Though I was a Superman/Batman/Flash kinda kid, I got stuck with such as Classics Illustrated (Emperor's New Clothes), Tomahawk <meh>, etc., but one new one was a winner: Turok. And it was a #35. Still got it. Not high grade though.

I a fan of this series and would love to collect it but I have only so much money. :(

You don't need much money for the majority of these books. Most can be had for CHEAP if you're just hunting down readers and this is one of the most under-rated series of all time - great covers, great art and great story telling...

My personal copy of #11 is a regular 10c. I don't think 15c are variants though, an experimented Turok collector once told that they were rather Canadian editions, maybe somebody here in these boards know the answer ?

The very early 15 cent variants are issues 7 through 12 and are NOT Canadian versions (unlike the later price variants - 20 cent versions of issues in the #70s).

From what I've been told these were marketed in the San Francisco area (although I believe that the area of distribution must have been somewhat wider to make printing economically viable) to test the appetite for a price increase.

There were other Dell books sold around this time as well that have 15 cent price covers.

Picky - this link is not working so I'm not too sure what it says. That being said, I've seen issues 23, 24 and 25 all with the dual pricing - #21 is new to me so thanks for posting. Anyone got a dual priced #22? (I have issue 24 dual priced and if someone could pm me with the insufficiently_thoughtful_person's guide on how to post photos here I could try posting my cover. I can't follow their instructions - seems like you need a website from which to cull photos?? Anyway, I digress).

These 3 issues (23, 24 and 25) all have 1 shilling as the alternate price not the 9 pence on the issue 21 (this could be explained by the domestic price increase from 10 to 15 cents).

Foreign issues? I don't think so as I've seen issues of this vintage with just the shilling price on them. They might have been PX copies - PX being the stores on foreign military bases but I'm guessing...

And here's some that you don't see very often.

P1340660.jpg

P1340659.jpg

P1340658.jpg

P1340657.jpg

There are also french Canadian versions. I've seen UK giants and I have a bizarre early Australian version. Evidently very popular during it's heyday but for some reason, virtually ignored today