• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gem City Con

47 posts in this topic

On to the show the next day (my birthday :grin: )

Much larger than I was anticipating. It was broken into several rooms. Here's a shot of the Published artist area:

You can see me in this picture right about dead center. My left side is to the camera and you can see my black backpack strap. You can also see Don Rosa partially hidden behind the guy in the black trench coat. Mr. Rosa gave me my only disappointment of the weekend. I guess he has a new rule in place that he won't do any sketches other than standard duck characters (Scrooge, Donald, etc.). I had the idea for him to do a "Duck Ock" sketch out of scrooge with triangle lens glasses and holding a bag of money with one of the tentacles. He liked the idea and said he was going to pitch it to his friend who was looking for ideas like that, but he still wouldn't do it. If the idea does make it's way to a new print, you heard it here first!

RedsandGemCity201037.jpg

Here's the indie room. This was a little small, crowded, and dark. I didn't spend much time in here.

RedsandGemCity201038.jpg

that guy with the long hair in the green smelled like a cesspool. I thought it was sean but each time i smelled it, there he was.

Yeah...I didn't bring much cash thinking I only pick up a few $10 books or so. It figures, I would see this in the first half hour. So I handed over all my cash as a down deposit as he couldn't take plastic. I will be picking it up this week at C2E2.

The book is a low grade copy that presents very well and is unrestored. The chip to the bottom left is included should I restore the book.

I was there while this transaction went down. You bought it off one of my local LCS. I was probably going to pick it up if you didn't buy it. LMK if you need any help getting a hold of him (bill) or anything. Nice book and nice purchase!

Yesterday was great. I will say I have never seen more VF- raw books with NM+ price tags on them. It seems like Norman Vincent Peale was responsible for the pricing. The dealers were visualizing the books as they hoped they were, instead of how they really were. :P

But for the few things I picked up, I found the dealers quite willing to negotiate.

This definitely seemed to be the case. But unfortunately it was often a negotiation from "crazy" to "not really a good deal."

I agree with you guys...I was worried I was going to spend too much money at the show and not have enough left for Chicago, but it was actually hard to spend money because of the insane prices. I think about about 10 books for under $200 and left after an hour and a half. Some guy had a VG or less TMNT 1 3rd print and wouldn't take $1 off the price after telling me it looks NM. I don't even know how to respond to something like that.

Yesterday was great. I will say I have never seen more VF- raw books with NM+ price tags on them. It seems like Norman Vincent Peale was responsible for the pricing. The dealers were visualizing the books as they hoped they were, instead of how they really were. :P

But for the few things I picked up, I found the dealers quite willing to negotiate.

This definitely seemed to be the case. But unfortunately it was often a negotiation from "crazy" to "not really a good deal."

I agree with you guys...I was worried I was going to spend too much money at the show and not have enough left for Chicago, but it was actually hard to spend money because of the insane prices. I think about about 10 books for under $200 and left after an hour and a half. Some guy had a VG or less TMNT 1 3rd print and wouldn't take $1 off the price after telling me it looks NM. I don't even know how to respond to something like that.

that was comiccitytn i'm sure :)

By saying Thank You, and walking away.

I picked this up. Unrestored.

DetectiveComics37.jpg

That was 8600 wasnt it?? I didnt see anybody , I asked 2 dealers if they were boardies and got the impression that they dont like us.lol