• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Your Favorite Vampirella (Warren) Cover?

What is your favorite classic Vampirella magazine cover? (images to follow below)  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite classic Vampirella magazine cover? (images to follow below)

33 posts in this topic

If I saw this cover when I was 12-14 years old, I think I'd be a Vampi fan for life. It's not necessarily the best of the run, but it's definetly one of the most suggestive .

blush.gif

Vampi82.jpg

If I saw this cover when I was 12-14 years old, I think I'd be a Vampi fan for life. It's not necessarily the best of the run, but it's definetly one of the most suggestive .

blush.gif

Ahh, sweet Pepe Gonzalez. cloud9.gif

If you liked the #82 cover, check out his frontispiece from #101:

101jg.jpg

Gene

blush.gif

Ahh, sweet Pepe Gonzalez. cloud9.gif

If you liked the #82 cover, check out his frontispiece from #101:

101jg.jpg

Gene

blush.gif

But seriously, are the stories half as good as the art? If so, I might have to put together a run for myself.....

But seriously, are the stories half as good as the art? If so, I might have to put together a run for myself.....

Quite honestly, the Vampi stories are hit or miss. I don't think any of them rise to the level of "greatness", but there are some good ones in the run. Also, the Vampi stories, for the most part, are not hard core action/adventure/horror...there's always a tongue-in-cheek element in them (which you have to kind of expect given the outfit that she wears!) That's neither inherently good nor bad...but if you're expecting to read something really gritty like Tomb of Dracula or Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, you won't find it here.

However, it is also important to remember that there are usually about 5 stories per issue, of which usually only 1 actually stars Vampirella. A lot of the issues feature back-up stories starring Pantha or Fleur, but most of the other stories are more traditional horror/sci-fi/fantasy oriented and some of those are quite good, even great - Bernie Wrightson's classic "Jenifer" story comes to mind.

Also, the series is worth collecting just for the artwork alone. Warren's stable of mostly Spanish artists have sometimes been criticized for not being able to tell stories as well as their American counterparts, but, aesthetically, their works are far superior than all but the very best American comic book artists IMHO. These guys were actually real artists who were drafted into drawing comics and not guys who could only draw funny books.

I would highly recommend picking up the book "The Warren Companion" which came out a couple of years ago. It has a full history of Warren Publishing, lots of great interviews and artwork, and a thick appendix section which tells you the creators on each story in every issue that Warren published (Vampi, Creepy, Eerie, etc.), the best stories published by the company, the best covers published by the company, biographies of the artists, etc.

Gene

I really had to go with #1 as my favorite cover. The image is classic and I prefer the version with her suit on. Without it she looks more generic like it could be anyone which causes it to lose its impact for me.

Cover #12 the best ever? Well, no...but he's entitled to his opinion. Though they are excellent painters, I just never warmed up to the overall STYLE of the Spanish artists. I do like Sanjulian though.