• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get Slabbed - What do you think?

25 posts in this topic

"GetSlabbed.com is a comic book auction site that puts the hardcore collector first. We specialize in comics graded (or slabbed!) by either of the popular third-party graders, CGC and PGX. "

I did a search and didn't find anything about this site being discussed here before.

http://getslabbed.com

I noticed the slabs are showing up in GPA, at least I found an X-men 1 from GPA tonight.

a boardie is involved. i got an email through the registry from him.

Me too, I assumed that most registry users did.

I did a search and didn't find anything about this site being discussed here before.

http://getslabbed.com

I noticed the slabs are showing up in GPA, at least I found an X-men 1 from GPA tonight.

a boardie is involved. i got an email through the registry from him.

Me too, I assumed that most registry users did.

Also got an email too...not so appreciative of the spam...at least it is not a bogus investment venture like the PMs that went out on the boards themselves (different boardies for that BTW), but still not a fan of someone foisting their business on my private email account. hm

Unlike ComicLink, Pedigree, Heritage, QualityComix, and ComicConnect, GetSlabbed doesn't act as a middleman that both buyer and seller have to ship and pay through for selectively approved sellers, so if that seller flakes out, the buyer is screwed, so of paramount importance is their criteria for filtering sellers, which isn't documented on the site anywhere I could find. Their commission for approved sellers is 6%, which makes them more expensive than eBay, yet presumably safer since eBay has almost no criteria for filtering sellers and will actively let people sell who are criminals known to the eBay community yet difficult to prove due to the shield of anonymity afforded by the Internet. They do support full consignment for non-approved sellers at 8%, which means QualityComix beats them on price, but as a buyer, do I know whether a book is being listed using full consignment versus no consignment? Not that I can tell, but I could be wrong...this definitely matters. Also 6% is too much for the service they're providing for non-consigned books, it needs to be lower if they're not acting as a middleman and are offering zero guaranteed buyer protection for unconsigned books. For several years now QualityComix was offering full consignment for NO cost as a way to break the ComicLink/Pedigree stranglehold...that seemed fairly effective.

As a buyer, I'm skeptical. I don't like the idea of the approved sellers without knowing what the selection criteria is. Even a friend can flake out and disappear with your money if they have no vested interest--we know this very well from the great-sellers-until-they-disappeared-one-day board members around here we've experienced over the years. I would have a hard time buying something more than $500 or so with no solid indication of safety. Even ebay offers protection up to a certain amount--what is it these days? $400 or so? I'm not sure anymore.

The site design is absolutely exceptional, VERY impressive, kudos to them for a great-looking site! :applause:

yeah, it's as though people list books that they believe NO ONE ELSE knows where they bought them, when they bought them & how much they paid for them.

i'm all for making a profit, but when you buy a book in a ComicLink auction and pay ~$100 for it and then list it a month later on another site for ~$200...chances are, the first figure is a lot closer to FMV.

not always, but still

yeah, it's as though people list books that they believe NO ONE ELSE knows where they bought them, when they bought them & how much they paid for them.

i'm all for making a profit, but when you buy a book in a ComicLink auction and pay ~$100 for it and then list it a month later on another site for ~$200...chances are, the first figure is a lot closer to FMV.

not always, but still

My favorites are the CLink listings where you see a booked BINed for price and relisted within a day, right next to the first listing, using the same scan at double or triple the price.

I suspect there are slugs who literally live on CLink... apparently trying to scratch out a living this way.