• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

Market wise, are westerns dead enough that I should look to pay under guide in the VF range for the non primo stuff at cons, etc...?

Really depends which publisher. Dell photo covers, yes. Timely/Atlas, probably not.

Maybe true about Atlas but generally I would never pay close to guide for a western. But at cons sometimes everything's priced at guide. Go on Ebay and you'll find a non-stop supply of cheap westerns, including some higher grade copies here or there. 2c

thanks all, I just wanted to get a general feel for the marketplace before I start buying. I don't want to buy a run of issues at guide if there is a decent chance I could wait a little and find them at 25 percent off. Obviously not talking the hard to find issues or stand out issues.

More adult oriented seems more like Atlas to me? What do you guys think? I just read Wild Western #7 last night (Marvel, 1949) and it's reasonably gritty. Maybe westerns from Fox and Avon are even more adult.

Atlas comics in general seem more adult oriented than their DC counterparts. Just a scan of covers will confirm that. Atlas put out some great stuff.

Don't know about Avon but some Fox comics have just horrible artwork. Admittedly, that's somewhat of a generalization. Covers are often cool but interior work is lacking

I am not sure why Timely is considered more adult. The covers remind me of Crime Does Not Pay because they tend to be more violent. DC tended to have more horsey covers but I like horses.

ME westerns are my favorite. I liked Straight Arrow and Ghost Rider and usually buy books with stories that feature those characters. Frazetta covers on westerns are really nice to have too.

2094678611_4616e42782_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I am not sure why Timely is considered more adult. The covers remind me of Crime Does Not Pay because they tend to be more violent. DC tended to have more horsey covers but I like horses.

2671321786_ebc8942349_o.jpg3837601576_ae1a1c252c_o.jpg

You might try the Lone Ranger, although I find the "adult oriented stories" a little racy. Here's one that comes to mind.......actually, it's more about his horse Silver.

The Lone Ranger was ambushed and capture by an enemy Indian War Party.

The Indian Chief proclaims, "So, YOU are the great Lone Ranger! In honor of the Harvest Festival, YOU will be executed in three days. Before I kill you, I grant you three requests. What is your FIRST request Huh"

The Lone Ranger responds, "I'd like to speak to my horse."

The Chief nods and Silver is brought before the Lone Ranger who whispers in Silver's ear, and the horse gallops away.

Later that evening, Silver returns with a beautiful blonde woman on his back.

As the Indian Chief watches, the blonde enters the Lone Ranger's tent and spends the night.

The next morning the Indian Chief admits he's impressed, "You have a very fine and loyal horse, but I will still kill you in two days. What is your SECOND request Huh"

The Lone Ranger again asks to speak to his horse.

Silver is brought to him, and he again whispers in the horse's ear.

As before, Silver takes off and disappears over the horizon.

Later that evening, to the Chief's surprise, Silver again returns, this time with a voluptuous brunette, more attractive than the blonde.

She enters the Lone Rangers tent and spends the night.

The following morning the Indian Chief is again impressed, "You are indeed a man of many talents, but I will still kill you tomorrow. What is your LAST request Huh"

The Lone Ranger responds, "I'd like to speak to my horse, alone."

The Chief is curious, but he agrees, and Silver is brought to the Lone Ranger's tent.

Once they're alone, the Lone Ranger grabs Silver by both ears, looks him square in the eye and says,

"Listen very carefully......for the last time.....I said bring POSSE....!!!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. (shrug)

e.g.

4564848117_d3840dde93.jpg4565479176_8098ddb1b7.jpg4565479080_8c1b7a4763.jpg

I will check some of those out BB-Gun. After doing some more research I have seen so many books that interest me that I am going to stick to Pre-Code westerns for now just to narrow the focus some (with a few individual exceptions).

Thanks again everyone for the input and more ideas are always appreciated.

If you have the time / desire to do so, I would recommend you do the leg work and check whose artwork graces any of the Four Color Dell Westerns. I recently got one in that is front to back Russ Heath. Any Dell Western by Giolitti is worth buying as are most Toth's Dell (Western or not), ... There are hidden gems in the series. (thumbs u

If you have the time / desire to do so, I would recommend you do the leg work and check whose artwork graces any of the Four Color Dell Westerns. I recently got one in that is front to back Russ Heath. Any Dell Western by Giolitti is worth buying as are most Toth's Dell (Western or not), ... There are hidden gems in the series. (thumbs u

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into them.

I recently got one in that is front to back Russ Heath.
Sounds intriguing. Can you share? :popcorn:

Sure, it's # 1284 - Laramie. It's not Heath best work (it's sparse in background details) but Heath any day is good.

First scan from the first story shows his typical sig as the horse's brand and the scan from the second story has a nice battle sequence -

97578.jpg.6c354c0cce7f805352c065e0ac9dc5f0.jpg

97579.jpg.122bec8ddf6871080b1cfbe53add5eaa.jpg

I will check some of those out BB-Gun. After doing some more research I have seen so many books that interest me that I am going to stick to Pre-Code westerns for now just to narrow the focus some (with a few individual exceptions).

Thanks again everyone for the input and more ideas are always appreciated.

I would stick with the golden age westerns but I enjoy reading a TV western from the sixties. The Bobby Benson radio show from the 1940s must have been a bit spooky based on some of the covers of his comic. Billy Halop played Bobby for the radio dramas, without the NYC accent I hope.

bb

4573203208_3728da6dac_b.jpg

3298204120_3a419fd0c5_b.jpg

2868162817_ddfca98ac2_o.jpg

2868162077_69123e21a5_o.jpg

4573278866_493658b535_b.jpg

Fred was a progressive thinker. Sometimes the girl saved Red in the nick of time.

4572645035_a940a04dbf_b.jpg

Scans from Crackajack comics and are available at GA.UK.

Edited by BB-Gun