• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

Good grief, what`s going on with a crappy unloved title like Lone Ranger? Prices exploded in last week`s Heritage weekly auction! :pullhair:

I had to spend way more than I had expected to get this (and probably wouldn`t have gone that high if it didn`t have an old label):

LoneRanger3.jpg

I was going to bid on some of these Lone Rangers but went on vacation and forgot. Looking at some of those prices tells me I wouldn't have won any though as there are so many westerns I'm looking for that I won't buy any (with some exceptions) unless I can get a good deal (in relation to guide).

GeneAutryComics5.jpg

Won this for $155 in May Comic Link Auction (just under guide for a 4.0)

Great choice. :applause:

Silver's series is by far (IMO) the best of the famous cowboy horse's books.

I pulled out a few of mine for this group shot. Guess I forgot to pull out a few Triggers.

99514.jpg.42128a81822c83ab18726d44e1cdd776.jpg

Very cool! I used to have an extensive collection of westerns. I had a few John Wayne's Lone Ranger's Tom Thumb and several other titles that I believe were 9.8's Unfortunately, I had to sell them all.

Great choice. :applause:

Silver's series is by far (IMO) the best of the famous cowboy horse's books.

I pulled out a few of mine for this group shot. Guess I forgot to pull out a few Triggers.

I've never read any of the cowboy horse books. In your opinion, are the Silver's good or just good in relation to the others? Just curious.

The trend continues. Was the underbidder on some very nice old label 1950s Lone Rangers on yesterday's Heritage weekly auction.

Some really nice painted covers there.

Edited by tth2

Lately, it seems I've been picking up a few Baker Western covers and other Baker-ish covers.

The Western Bandit Trails - Approved # 9 is a strict reprint of issue # 1 story for story ... thank goodness it has a better cover -

99870.jpg.9eb5d87f658686b6672363a8c255d190.jpg

99872.jpg.834b391972ac71d81fa83c02ba28e674.jpg

99873.jpg.6d2b5444d5a3ca71e21a7ad47b004de6.jpg

99874.jpg.0f977811fc84782d4075c61c158c5961.jpg

99875.jpg.08c65da4ab2e7e430278c463498468e9.jpg

More adult oriented seems more like Atlas to me? What do you guys think? I just read Wild Western #7 last night (Marvel, 1949) and it's reasonably gritty. Maybe westerns from Fox and Avon are even more adult.

Atlas comics in general seem more adult oriented than their DC counterparts. Just a scan of covers will confirm that. Atlas put out some great stuff.

Don't know about Avon but some Fox comics have just horrible artwork. Admittedly, that's somewhat of a generalization. Covers are often cool but interior work is lacking

I am not sure why Timely is considered more adult. The covers remind me of Crime Does Not Pay because they tend to be more violent. DC tended to have more horsey covers but I like horses.

ME westerns are my favorite. I liked Straight Arrow and Ghost Rider and usually buy books with stories that feature those characters. Frazetta covers on westerns are really nice to have too.

2094678611_4616e42782_b.jpg

:o(worship)

Lately, it seems I've been picking up a few Baker Western covers and other Baker-ish covers.

The Western Bandit Trails - Approved # 9 is a strict reprint of issue # 1 story for story ... thank goodness it has a better cover -

Nice covers Scrooge. I think his Western covers are overlooked, which is good for us then we get them cheaper :grin:

Approved 9 has a really nice cover but Outlaws isn't a Baker cover. Oh, you said Bakerish. OK but I usually think of Webb or Kamen as Bakerish.

bb

Yeah, I covered myself as Outlaws is clearly not a Baker cover. That's neither a Baker girl on the cover nor are these Baker horses ... even though they are nice horses. They might be the best things about the cover. At $ 3, I simply couldn't leave it in the dealer's box. :)

Great! A midget comics at a midget price.

I'll admit never having seen this cover before. Are the stories inside reprints from another book or is it all new material?

You should roll your savings and buy more Wartime Romances with them :wink:

Great! A midget comics at a midget price.

I'll admit never having seen this cover before. Are the stories inside reprints from another book or is it all new material?

You should roll your savings and buy more Wartime Romances with them :wink:

I'm not sure if they have been reprinted at a later date. It is digest size so the amount of panels per page is smaller.