• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ongoing Dark Horse Presents Thread (Are you in the CLUB?).

146 posts in this topic

IMG_1600.jpg

The only 10 in the entire 157 issue series, and likely to remain so.

Dont be so sure...... :devil:

If you can pull another 10 out of this series, I'll be real shocked.

Most likely candidates are 56 and 57. ;)

The ONLY reason I stand a chance is that i have a few longboxes of DHP; 5-10 packs from #1-#80 or so. Unread storestock I bought yeeeears ago. Nice to see that a great series is finally being appreciated for more than mere $ value (thumbs u . Congrats on a perfect copy :headbang:

This is my entire DHP army. Growing all the time. I haven't decided how far I am going to go with this series, but I have decided that I am going to sub them all myself. These were all handpicked and subbed by me, as well.

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZXJye.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-103.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-105.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-1.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-2.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-3.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

The only 10 in the entire 157 issue series, and likely to remain so.

Dont be so sure...... :devil:

If you can pull another 10 out of this series, I'll be real shocked.

Most likely candidates are 56 and 57. ;)

The ONLY reason I stand a chance is that i have a few longboxes of DHP; 5-10 packs from #1-#80 or so. Unread storestock I bought yeeeears ago. Nice to see that a great series is finally being appreciated for more than mere $ value (thumbs u . Congrats on a perfect copy :headbang:

My 56 I bought from a fellow collector back in 2007 or so off the Valiantfans board. He had a bunch of DHPs, and they were all in various conditions...except this one. When I saw it, I was stunned. Sure, it's got the square bound spine, which is a major plus, but the cover itself is regular ol' flimsy cover stock, and the top and bottom of the spines flake like crazy. It's most definitely NOT a prestige format book. I thought this had a good chance at a VERY high grade, and so I sent it in. I was super pleased it came back a 10.

It's a great book. Next Men by Byrne, Sin City by Miller, an Aliens appearance....plus, the whole Superman Annual #7 homage. Just a great, great book.

There's a 9.9 of this book, too, which I think may be 1 of 2-3 9.9s in the entire series. All because of that crummy Mando/Baxter paper cover stock. The only ones that weren't like that were #56 and #57, which were glued squares. Tough, tough series to find in high grade, throughout the run.

I'd LOVE to have a #57 10, too, the DD #1 homage.

5 questions.

1) Am I the only one on the board to have a CGC certified 9.8 of DHP#1? I thought for sure someone like RMA would have had one.

2) What are the hardest issues to find in ULTRA high grade? (9.8 or better)

3) What are the most expensive issues and why? (including annuals)

4) How much is too much to pay for a issue?

5) And what are the most coveted (in demand) issues and why?

Sorry for asking these questions, but sense this thread is dedicated to helping new people getting in to DHP I thought these answers (minus #1) would be the most common newbis would ask.

5 questions.

1) Am I the only one on the board to have a CGC certified 9.8 of DHP#1? I thought for sure someone like RMA would have had one.

There are only three on the census. All I can say is I don't have one, yet.

This is an interesting question. I think it is going to take a while to get a good idea of this and it will also take several people really trying to put together high grade runs. My guess is that the toughest issues will be those without a real rock solid character in them or without a great cover.

None of them are very expensive at all. 1,10,24,36 Sin City, Hellboy and Goon books all have increased demand but none are eyebrow raisers as far as price is concerned, nor are they traded very often.

This is just me talking, remember. I wouldn't pay over 40 bucks for a 9.8 of any common issue. And I probably wouldn't pay that. But that is because I like hunting the raws and subbing them myself. If I did decide to go for 1-60 or 1-100, I would probably change my tune on the last couple.

See answer to #3 above. #25 has just been acknowledged as Doug Mahnke's 1st professional work so it may have an uptick, but i am prejudiced.

Sorry for asking these questions, but sense this thread is dedicated to helping new people getting in to DHP I thought these answers (minus #1) would be the most common newbis would ask.

Great thread. I loved DHP. When I got back into collecting (in '02), one of my first eBay purcahses was DHP 1-5. They were raw, and not worth grading.

I don't own any graded copies at the moment. But, I can certainly see a DHP#24 in my future (although Aliens #1 would be my top choice; anybody got a 9.6 they don't want and can sell me on the cheap?).

5 questions.

I certainly might have one in the boxes, but remember that it costs money to slab, and I'm not rich. My last bill was $1100+, and that was only for 58 books that *may* be able to sell for $5K, if that.

Also, I didn't start (really) collecting until 1990, and so didn't have a chance to buy this new off the stand. I was at the mercy of whomever had a copy. I've found several 9.6 potentials.

All the books printed before about 1993. No single book stands out as "most difficult" yet.

It fluctuates. At one point, #1 (because of Concrete) was the most valuable. Then, #24 (first Alens in comics), then #10 (first "Mask"), then #54 (first Next Men.) For the most part, the entire run can be had for less than $5/book, with most much, much less. *Maybe* #157 will cost you more, but it's doubtful. The run, while filled with amazingly good stuff, is still just an anthology.

This is a good thing.

$10.

#1, #10, #24, #34-36 (Aliens, Predator, AVP), #51-62 (Sin City), #54, #88-91, #157.

In my limited experience with DHP, I see some higher prices on #88 (Hellboy) with a tough black cover (Waiting to see what mine comes back as SS'd by Mignola), but the highest price raw that I see on a regular basis is $20-40 for the 1998 Annual, a low print run Hellboy issue.

#80, a white Monkeyman and O'brien by Art Adams is one I'd like to find personally in NM+ condition. I see it in dollar boxes everywhere, sometimes even unbagged in quarter boxes, but with that white cover it's hard to find in the condition I'd like.

Those Sin City issues used to demand a higher price, but now seem pretty reasonable if you look hard enough. No one cares about the Next Men anymore.

I've heard people on here say it'd be near impossible to put together a complete 9.8 run of this series, and where I don't think it'd be impossible, it'd certainly be a task.

I've heard people on here say it'd be near impossible to put together a complete 9.8 run of this series, and where I don't think it'd be impossible, it'd certainly be a task.

+1

It would be tough and fun, but not anywhere near impossible. There are plenty of these books in 9.8 condition, you just have to go out and find them and slab them yourself.

Issues 2-9 Not even one copy has been graded

Same with 12-19, 37-50, 68-79 and 101-125

Not one copy graded, let alone 9.8. RMA's point cannot be minimized. As an anthology title, there are hits and misses, winners and dogs through out the series. Many of these issues will never be slabbed unless someone industrious does try to put a run together.

Not impossible, but much much harder than any comparable 150+ run from the big two.

+1

It would be tough and fun, but not anywhere near impossible. There are plenty of these books in 9.8 condition, you just have to go out and find them and slab them yourself.

Issues 2-9 Not even one copy has been graded

Same with 12-19, 37-50, 68-79 and 101-125

Not one copy graded, let alone 9.8. RMA's point cannot be minimized. As an anthology title, there are hits and misses, winners and dogs through out the series. Many of these issues will never be slabbed unless someone industrious does try to put a run together.

Not impossible, but much much harder than any comparable 150+ run from the big two.

The biggest impediment to putting this run together is sheer expense. At $20 (about) a pop to self-slab, the bare minimum cost of this set...bare minimum...is $3,140, and that assumes you got the books for free.

This run cannot be bought in 9.8 from others, because there's no financial incentive to do it. Other than "the keys" which, in my opinion, sell for ridiculously low prices (seriously? $52 for DHP #24? I'll take all of them, please) compared to their relative scarcity, no one is going to do any serious searching for someone else for a $35 sale, much less a $20 one, where it would be less costly to the seller to burn the book in the fire than get it slabbed and sell it to you.

I dunno about the rest of you, but if I'm gonna go spend time searching for something someone else wants, it's going to be $50, minimum, regardless of how often they sell for pennies on eBay. My advice to anyone looking is to BUY those $20, $30 (shipped) 9.8s that you see of scarce in high grade indies, because they are never going to come up in quantity, for ANY price.

That Aliens #1 that sold for $25 STILL grates on me. doh!

Is it impossible? Certainly not! For someone with funds to blow and patience, the entire run could be easily put together in 6 months. But it will cost you, either in time, or cash, or both.

It CANNOT, however, be put together from one big convention, like a 9.8 run of Amazing Spiderman #200-#400 can.

I would gladly put together a complete 9.8 set for anyone who wants one, but I wouldn't do it for much less than $10,000 (keeping in mind that slabbing cost alone is $2500 of that, without including S&H&I to, from, and to again)...and that's, in my opinion, a bargain basement price, especialy considering all the work that it would take to do it.

In my limited experience with DHP, I see some higher prices on #88 (Hellboy) with a tough black cover (Waiting to see what mine comes back as SS'd by Mignola), but the highest price raw that I see on a regular basis is $20-40 for the 1998 Annual, a low print run Hellboy issue.

I thought that the 1998 Annual was a Buffy thing...it was at one point...post 1994 Hellboy appearances aren't tough to find, I think....

#80, a white Monkeyman and O'brien by Art Adams is one I'd like to find personally in NM+ condition. I see it in dollar boxes everywhere, sometimes even unbagged in quarter boxes, but with that white cover it's hard to find in the condition I'd like.

Would you, now...? hm

I thought that the 1998 Annual was a Buffy thing...it was at one point...post 1994 Hellboy appearances aren't tough to find, I think....

Would you, now...? hm

Yeah, the annual is apparently the first Buffy story, also a Hellboy story.

And yes, I'll take a slabbed 9.8 of #80, please. :grin:

Love this series. I'm going to join the crusade for CGC 9.8 copies of some of the more interesting books in this run. Here's my first one, I've had it for a while now.

4769378125_83a0a12d44_b.jpg