• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams? The hottest thing on the boards right now?

87 posts in this topic

i prefer the work of Neil Adams- whose stuff also occasionally shows up for sale here

:roflmao:

TeddieMercedes has a fantastic Neil collection

Fad.

That has lasted thirty-five years. A great artist who more or less dominated the medium for the first half of the 70s, which is when half this board got into comics.

I think that is it. I grew up reading, tracing, copying his books. Now, 30 years later when I can afford it, I collect his work. Its what I had as a kid, it is what I collect. Call it finding your youth, whatever.

It's pretty much always been like this and you didn't notice. He's a giant, a great talent and his place in the pantheon of superhero comics creators was written in stone long ago. He helped bring comic coloring and printing techniques out of the Gutenberg era, and was an early pioneer for creator's rights. Everybody loves his work, and he's always been popular on the boards.

I guess I'm the anomaly, though. I can readily appreciate his drawing but it doesn't do much for me, stylistically just not my cup of tea.

Everybody loves Neal Adams....except when he joined the boards and got run out of dodge because of his beliefs.

doh!

Everybody loves Neal Adams....except when he joined the boards and got run out of dodge because of his beliefs.

doh!

the expanding earth.....

doh!

He is a little, um, hard to follow.

Overrated, Eisner is where its at. Talk about a guy way ahead of the curve, or how about Wolverton.

Bruce

that is the age thing coming to the front, I suspect. Eisner is incredible, just not who I grew up with. People finding spare income for childhood collectibles are of the 1970's age right now. I wish I could collect all the ones I love, I had to pick and in picking I chose who I read as a kid.

Overrated, Eisner is where its at. Talk about a guy way ahead of the curve, or how about Wolverton.

Bruce

that is the age thing coming to the front, I suspect. Eisner is incredible, just not who I grew up with. People finding spare income for childhood collectibles are of the 1970's age right now. I wish I could collect all the ones I love, I had to pick and in picking I chose who I read as a kid.

Age thing, omg, I feel so old now. Actually I really started collecting comics in the 80's, about 3/4 into Secret Wars.

I agree with you. I don't think Eisner or Wolverton get enough exposure nowadays. I think if the Spirit Sections were actual comics Eisner would be more widely read.

Bruce

Every era had their giants. To argue one is better than another is difficult because their surroundings were different in their respective times.

Simon and Kirby, Eisner, Lee and Kirby, Adams, Miller...all are giants in their respective eras and there are lots of others.

Aren't comics great?

:cloud9:

Bruce

Age thing, omg, I feel so old now. Actually I really started collecting comics in the 80's, about 3/4 into Secret Wars.

I agree with you. I don't think Eisner or Wolverton get enough exposure nowadays. I think if the Spirit Sections were actual comics Eisner would be more widely read.

and isn't it intersting how Neal keeps semi-cuurent by still doing work, still doing covers. Started his own comic company, new 6 issue series. I won't use the idea he reinvented himself, he just kept drawing.

When I finish with Neal, if I don't go into OA, I'll collect Wrightson and BWS and do it for the asme reason I collected Adams covers.

Bruce

Every era had their giants. To argue one is better than another is difficult because their surroundings were different in their respective times.

Simon and Kirby, Eisner, Lee and Kirby, Adams, Miller...all are giants in their respective eras and there are lots of others.

Aren't comics great?

Bruce

Aren't comics great?

Bruce

Aren't comics great?

Bruce

Aren't comics great?

I agree. But, at least for myself greatness for an artist is being ahead of the curve. Personally I think Eisner and Wolverton were farther ahead than any other artist to date. Sure some will disagree with me. Maybe I should post his in the Gold forum, sure a few less would disagree there lol

I would like to point to my sig as proof for Eisner, best spanking cover in comics hands down. Imagine getting that in your Sunday newspaper in 1940.

Bruce