• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,439 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, Math Teacher said:

I purchased this issue from fellow board member @iggykoopa:

TTA44.jpg.481417a43cdc5c35adcc885c56bad0e6.jpg

With the acquisition of this issue, I have realized a life long dream. I now have accumulated all the Silver Age Marvel keys. Please note - I am limiting my list to heroes only.

Here they are, in order of publication:

Fantastic Four #1
Tales to Astonish #27
Incredible Hulk #1
Journey into Mystery #83
Amazing Fantasy #15
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Tales of Suspense #39
Tales to Astonish #44
Strange Tales #110
Avengers #1
X-Men #1
Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1
Avengers #4
Daredevil #1
Fantastic Four #48
Fantastic Four #52

I started this quest by purchasing Amazing Spider-Man #1 in May, 1980. It took a little over 41 years to accomplish this. Although this may sound like I am bragging, I am quite pleased with this accomplishment.

I'm sure that there will be who will ask, "Why didn't you include <insert comic book issue>?" Although I am certainly open to suggestions, this is my list that I came up with back when I got back into collecting in late 2017.

That is a fantastic accomplishment, and a great list.  Of course there are always more books you could include ... it's up to you to decide where to draw the line, but I would humbly suggest that you might want to consider the following as worthy additions:

• TTA #35 (to the degree that #27 isn't yet a fully realized first appearance, and it completes the thought)
  • FF #4 (yes, Namor is a hero! most of the time anyway)
  • X-Men #4 (respect the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, even if they did start off as villains!)
  • TOS #52 and #57 (rounding out the original MCU Avengers with Black Widow and Hawkeye, who also started off as bad guys)
  • Avengers #57 (Vision)
  • ST #101 (not a first appearance, but still a sneaky-important first)
  • ST #135 (Nick Fury re-imagined)

And if you want to open the door to villains:

• FF #5 tops the list
  • JIM #85 is also huge
  • ASM ... here's where you get into trouble because the list gets long very fast ... #2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15, 20, 28, 31, 41, and 50 just for starters
  • Avengers #6 (Zemo), #8 (Kang), and #58 (Ultron) among others
  • TOS #65 (first Silver Age Red Skull)

Then you could have some fun with crossovers ... the list is way too long, but I think it starts with FF #12 as the first one to go after.  I also love ST #107.

That's the best thing about this hobby, every time you reach one goal you can always set another.  Enjoy the hunt!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 11/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, Math Teacher said:

I purchased this issue from fellow board member @iggykoopa:

TTA44.jpg.481417a43cdc5c35adcc885c56bad0e6.jpg

With the acquisition of this issue, I have realized a life long dream. I now have accumulated all the Silver Age Marvel keys. Please note - I am limiting my list to heroes only.

Here they are, in order of publication:

Fantastic Four #1
Tales to Astonish #27
Incredible Hulk #1
Journey into Mystery #83
Amazing Fantasy #15
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Tales of Suspense #39
Tales to Astonish #44
Strange Tales #110
Avengers #1
X-Men #1
Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1
Avengers #4
Daredevil #1
Fantastic Four #48
Fantastic Four #52

I started this quest by purchasing Amazing Spider-Man #1 in May, 1980. It took a little over 41 years to accomplish this. Although this may sound like I am bragging, I am quite pleased with this accomplishment.

I'm sure that there will be who will ask, "Why didn't you include <insert comic book issue>?" Although I am certainly open to suggestions, this is my list that I came up with back when I got back into collecting in late 2017.

Go on and brag.

That's an amazing feat. I got the first 3 on the list when I was 12. I got 2 others a few years later. Since then, 30 years hence, nada. I've long since given up acquiring more. Great persistence and determination!

Edited by grendelbo

On 11/6/2021 at 11:47 PM, Math Teacher said:

@Sweet Lou 14, all the books that I have bolded are books that I have.

I sold my JiM #85 to help fund the purchase of my AF #15. In retrospect, I wish I had sold some other books instead. I seriously doubt if I will ever get that book back into my collection. But, converting a JiM #85 (plus a few other books) into an AF #15 CGC 2.5 is a pretty good consolation price.

You're right about setting new goals. After seeing many posts by @flashlites in the Flash forum, I started on a quest to get the first appearance of Flash's SA Rogues. I started some time earlier this year, and I am now down to two books (SC #13 and Flash #139).

:golfclap:Wow, all but five of the books I mentioned!  Very impressive collection, and with the exception of JIM #85 the few you don't have are among the most affordable in the list should you choose to go after them.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:47 PM, Math Teacher said:

@Sweet Lou 14, all the books that I have bolded are books that I have.

I sold my JiM #85 to help fund the purchase of my AF #15. In retrospect, I wish I had sold some other books instead. I seriously doubt if I will ever get that book back into my collection. But, converting a JiM #85 (plus a few other books) into an AF #15 CGC 2.5 is a pretty good consolation price.

You're right about setting new goals. After seeing many posts by @flashlites in the Flash forum, I started on a quest to get the first appearance of Flash's SA Rogues. I started some time earlier this year, and I am now down to two books (SC #13 and Flash #139).

And when @Sweet Lou 14 compliments your collection, you know you're doing well. I imagine that Lou's collection puts mine to shame. I have no doubt that we have many of the same books, but based on Lou's posts, his books are in much higher grade than mine.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:47 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Appreciate the kind words, but there's no such thing as "shame" when it comes to this hobby.  There will always be somebody out there with a so-called "better" collection and it doesn't matter as long as you're enjoying the thrill of the hunt and the victories as they come.

At this point I have a complete Marvel SA / BA / CA superhero collection, plus a smattering of books I like across the various war, western, horror, and reprint titles.  But like I said, there's always a new goal to pursue which is why I decided to try upgrading all of my 20-cent covers and filling in the complete pre-hero runs of JIM, ST, TOS, and TTA.  I also keep an eye out for upgrades on the monster keys ... managed to upgrade my Avengers #1 and my TOS #39 during the past year and it was a really gut-wrenching but ultimately exciting experience in both cases.

Always something to keep me busy!

... and plenty of thankful collectors, eager to snap up the crumbs that fall from your table :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/7/2021 at 6:47 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Appreciate the kind words, but there's no such thing as "shame" when it comes to this hobby.  There will always be somebody out there with a so-called "better" collection and it doesn't matter as long as you're enjoying the thrill of the hunt and the victories as they come.

At this point I have a complete Marvel SA / BA / CA superhero collection, plus a smattering of books I like across the various war, western, horror, and reprint titles.  But like I said, there's always a new goal to pursue which is why I decided to try upgrading all of my 20-cent covers and filling in the complete pre-hero runs of JIM, ST, TOS, and TTA.  I also keep an eye out for upgrades on the monster keys ... managed to upgrade my Avengers #1 and my TOS #39 during the past year and it was a really gut-wrenching but ultimately exciting experience in both cases.

Always something to keep me busy!

I'm certainly not ashamed. How many collectors own all of the 16 books I listed?

I just know, from all your posts, that while we own many of the same issues, yours are in much better condition.

Do I wish my books were in better condition? Sure I do. But you know what? I still am very happy that I own a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1, even if it's grade is CGC 3.0.

I agree with your "thrill of the hunt" comment. Although, nowadays, most of the time it is not done by visiting many local comic book stores, but by pulling Ebay (as just as an example) on your computer. When are kids were still in school, we went on many family vacations; I always insisted that we stop at several LCSs on the trip. Too many stores considered an issue published six months ago as a prime back issue, but, every once in a while, you would find a store that a significant number of SA and GA issues. I bought a copy of Batman #5 from a store like that. Yes, it was coverless and beat up, but it was still a Batman #5. Even though I like the convenience of Ebay and other online sellers, I miss the old days. I know that those days will likely never return (unless the world is zapped by an EMP, which means we would have better things to do than buying comics, such as finding food), but it doesn't make me miss those days any less.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, oakenfelder said:

Love these goofy 60s Batman covers

image.jpg

They're having an umbrella party!:148480718_drumrollemoji:

Those bat ears on some classic issues take some getting used to, congrats on the book!