• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,435 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2021 at 9:46 PM, Math Teacher said:

And how can you not like the cover of #26? It has the FF, the Avengers, and the Hulk! Two things have always bothered me about that cover, First, how did Rick Jones get to the top of a skyscraper consisting of only girders, and how was he the first to arrive at the top? Second, Captain America would have to be a contortionist to throw his shield based on how he was holding on to that girder.

Not to mention the scale. Each floor in that skyscraper looks like it's 5 feet tall. Giant Man also appears to be floating. 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, october said:

Some more nice raw SA...

001 (6).jpg

Because of my affinity for Spider-Man, I wish I could like this cover, but I just can't. Cyclops' pose is just not something you wouldn't notice. I believe that it would be physically impossible to stand upright in that pose. Maybe not for Spider-Man, but definitely for Cyclops. Even if Cyclops' shoes had special attachments that always kept his feet in contact with the ground, he would have to have abs of steel.

@october, please note that I am not intending to criticize your particular copy. My comments would apply to any copy of X-Men #35, even if it was CGC 9.0.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:20 PM, Math Teacher said:

Because of my affinity for Spider-Man, I wish I could like this cover, but I just can't. Cyclops' pose is just not something you wouldn't notice. I believe that it would be physically impossible to stand upright in that pose. Maybe not for Spider-Man, but definitely for Cyclops. Even if Cyclops' shoes had special attachments that always kept his feet in contact with the ground, he would have to have abs of steel.

@october, please note that I am not intending to criticize your particular copy. My comments would apply to any copy of X-Men #35, even if it was CGC 9.0.

Cyclops could be in the process of falling backward ... Marvel Girl certainly seems concerned about him.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Cyclops could be in the process of falling backward ... Marvel Girl certainly seems concerned about him.

I thought the same! But I just bought it raw and havent read it yet lol

So I didnt want to say yay or any Haha, no spoilers  :drool:

On 11/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, KirbyJack said:

By my criteria, you’re fine without the Astonish 35. My list requires 27 OR 35, but not both.

I do include Fantastic Four #4, though. Subby was the hero of his own silver age title, and I consider all of those to be big keys.

You make a good point. Namor was clearly the villain, albeit misunderstood, in FF #4, #6, #9, #14, #27, and FF Annual #1. I think FF #33 is where Namor changed from being a villain to being more of a hero.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:46 PM, Math Teacher said:

I thought I should add a picture while all my books are out of my safe deposit box. Don't panic - they are going back in tomorrow. If I was to do this over, I would add TtA #35 to the group, as suggested by @Sweet Lou 14.However, I have no plans of taking another picture of these books. Also, if I added an additional book, it would ruin the symmetry of the picture. Due to my OCD, I wouldn't like that. They will remain in my safety deposit box, which I check every six months. Besides looking at the books, I add 2 - 3 desiccants into the safety deposit box. 

Top16.thumb.jpg.d39e4adeb9f3603f2523407a969aa2a9.jpg

Please ignore the leaves, sticks, etc. We will be doing more yard work tomorrow.

It may be just the photo, but the color on the AF15 really popped! 

No showcase #4 for this photo shoot? Marvel only theme? 

On 11/25/2021 at 7:26 PM, KCOComics said:

It may be just the photo, but the color on the AF15 really popped! 

No showcase #4 for this photo shoot? Marvel only theme? 

Yes, it was only Marvel issues. Maybe I will do a group of DC keys before I put them back in my safe deposit box.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:28 PM, MattTheDuck said:

So I mentioned in another thread that Reese Rare Comics was running a "Black Friday Weekend" sale (which I believe is still going on through today) with pretty healthy discounts on raw and slabs.  As usual, my restraint bolt was loose, but at least I held to my alleged "mission statement" for a change.  ST and JIM are upgrades, everything else is new to my collection.

Reese 1 - 11-21.jpg

Reese 2 - 11-21.jpg

Reese 3 - 11-21.jpg

Reese 4 - 11-21.jpg

:whatthe:

Then that was fast shipping too lol

Nice books! Glad you had $$ for the sale too

On 11/29/2021 at 3:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

:whatthe:

Then that was fast shipping too lol

Nice books! Glad you had $$ for the sale too

Yeah, their email said they were going to try to pack up and ship out immediately - anticipating, I guess, some significant volume of orders over the weekend.