• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

So what makes 229 the first Silver Age issue?

I'm not sure if this is an honest question or if it's a bit of poking :baiting:

I'm using Overstreet's definition (October 1956 - the month that DC released Showcase #4 and The Flash).

Personally, I don't get too hung up in the semantics. I prefer to talk about pre-code and post-code because it is something we can all agree on.

:)

Honest question. I wasn't sure if it was chronological or because of how a story or character was written.

Some Marvel collectors equate Silver Age Marvel with the appearance of superheroes in a book. Tales to Astonish #25 came out the same month as Fantastic Four #1 but TTA doesn't necessarily register on the radar until the first Ant-Man in issue 27.

DC seems to be a different kettle of fish as its major heroes never left publication in the late 40s the way Marvel's first did.

Honestly, Ian (Steelcity) has the nicest silver age Adventure Comics collection I know of, and I would not be surprised if it was the best in existance. He has quite a few scanned and I am sure he wouldnt mind showing them. He and I both seem to love the series.

Personally, although my collection really doesnt bare this out, I would have to say that Adventure Comics is my favorite DC series of all time. The Legion is one of my favorite comics features of all time, and Adventure is not just the birth place of the Legion, but it is also where the best Legion stories were printed.

Additionally, Superboy is my single favorite DC character, and while I have a near complete set of Superboy, Adventure was a monthly series. Since the 50's is my favorite time period that would make 120 wonderful issues of Adventure Comics during my favorite decade of comics versus about 80 in Superboy's own title. That's 120 covers of my favorite character with some pretty good backup material along the way. Everything from Frazetta Shining Knights to Aquaman and Green Arrow.

It's kind of odd then, that of all the series I collect, that I focused the least on Adventure, and I know why. I have a "completist" kind of bug, and I just couldnt see me getting Adventure 103 all the way to 380. I started collecting Action at about the Supergirl era and Superman at 100, Superboy, Lois and Jimmy through completion, but just focused mostly on the Legion Adventures. I regret that alot now since I wish I had them all!

It's not too late to begin filling gaps in your Adventures. I have thought that a huge Superboy collector like you would have long been collecting these classic Superboy covers and stories.

Perhaps one plan, now that your current list is not far short of completion, would be to extend back in not so daunting chunks, say, initially, back to #210. Then again, maybe just acquire what you can when you can. Whatever you do your books will remain one of the great successful quests in comic book collecting!

Like an earlier version of Uncanny X-men, this issue sees the start of a new direction and style of adventures:

In fact, many Marvel Zombies overlook the fact that the New X-Men were derived from the Legion. Marvel was actually trying to cash in on the popularity of the Legion during that period and decided to try doing so by rebooting what was pretty much a dead title.

Little did I know when I started this thread that it would subject me to such envy and depression :(

Oh well, I guess I can take some consolation in the fact that I can regularly read them (thumbs u

I don't have most of my favorites yet (waiting around to find them in mid-grades with good eye appeal), but here is one of my favorite covers that i read yesterday. Good story.

Adventure238.jpg

That is just stunning! I always wondered about what your copy looked like.

The Legion is/was always a great ride, especially in the 60's. Congrats!

Would you share how you aquired it? I'm a sucker for background stories of

great copies;-)