• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Approved Seller' Status

379 posts in this topic

I don't mean to engage in a debate about semantics, but a clique is an exclusive group, regardless of the reasons for exclusivity.

Then given that humans have limits on the amount of attention they can provide other people and that groups are limited by space and resources meaning that all people and groups are forced to exclude at some point, all groups of humans are inherently cliques, and the term is useless. :insane:

I like dressing up as an Elf for Christmas...Santa Claus is soooooo yesterday...

I believe that Wrightson_fan's statement, in a less polite manner, and I may be incorrect, is that an awful lot of individuals on this board are rude. [ I just edited out the term A-holes]

To blatantly slam on a noob, is just not polite. To with someone that you

may have an established repore is one thing, to drop a hatchet on a noob is

not always cricket.

If it's become a closed society, one only open to old

established veterans, that pay dues, toe the line etc / then, the society is

doomed. Arrogance about what you have, have better than, or have spent

more on acquiring on your quest is rampant. The finest individual I have

ever met thru this forum doesn't have much, but a pile of funny books I

wouldn't pay money for, he doesn't have much of a pot to pisss in, or

at the moment, a window to pour it out of. And he'll only lurk on this forum

because of his current situation. Too bad, you all are missing a mountain

of information.

I hear this type of concern all over the place and I'm not saying it's unwarranted but really, what do you expect to change? This is the internet. For better or worse, it is what it is. You think what goes on here is unique to just the CGC boards? As I said above, there are boards that are far worse than this one. Altough, I never experienced the n00b hazing here, I have experienced it on other boards and at much worse intensity.

You suddenly expect everyone to join e-hands and start signing kumbaya?

The sad truth is that you either develop that thick skin or you shut off your computer and read a good book or watch TV.

We should have a feedback system, where everybody can leave feedback for everybody else whenever they want, for any reason, or no reason at all...

That's the ticket!

ebay was like that in the early days.

The sad truth is that you either develop that thick skin or you shut off your computer and read a good book or watch TV.

:sumo:lol Yep, it's like expecting people not to use their cell phones in public . . .

We should have a feedback system, where everybody can leave feedback for everybody else whenever they want, for any reason, or no reason at all...

That's the ticket!

I've seen feedback systems work and personally never seen one fail. I guess it all depends on who actually buys into it on the forums...

:sumo:lol Yep, it's like expecting people not to use their cell phones in public . . .

Yea..or expect dudes to not pee in their back yard when drinkin....

Why not create a feedback section in the forums and a thread for each person who actively sells or buys that allows people to post feedback on their transactions with them? I know for me, as a new person to the forums, it would be helpful if I could just click on one thread that is feedback for a certain member. This is what's done on some other sites I'm a member of and it works really well.

I don't want to sort through 150 pages of a 'Kudos' thread to find out if is a respectible seller.

While I agree with you about the 150 pages of kudos thing, I don't think a system like you propose would work here. I was on another site where we had something similar and it worked because A) it was a much smaller forum, B) the forum admin ruled it with a much heavier hand, and C) the members self policed the forum in a very polite way, bought into the system, and didn't clog up feedback threads with greamlins, sarcastic comments, and the like.

I don't think A, B, and C could ever work here. (shrug)

Let's face it. For the most part we can be the biggest bunch of jerks to each other and admins rarely get involved with that stuff. Oh sure, they'll hunt down a shill with the zeal of Torqemada (that's hyperbole there folks) but as far as moderating our behavior towards one another, it's pretty much hands off.

Why not create a feedback section in the forums and a thread for each person who actively sells or buys that allows people to post feedback on their transactions with them? I know for me, as a new person to the forums, it would be helpful if I could just click on one thread that is feedback for a certain member. This is what's done on some other sites I'm a member of and it works really well.

I don't want to sort through 150 pages of a 'Kudos' thread to find out if is a respectible seller.

While I agree with you about the 150 pages of kudos thing, I don't think a system like you propse would work here. I was on another site where we had something similar and it worked because A) it was a much smaller forum, B) the forum admin ruled it with a much heavier hand, and C) the members self policed the forum in a very polite way, bought into the system, and didn't clog up feedback threads with greamlins, sarcastic comments, and the like.

I don't think A, B, and C could ever work here. (shrug)

Let's face it. For the most part we can be the biggest bunch of jerks to each other and admins rarely get involved with that stuff. Oh sure, they'll hunt down a shill with the zeal of Torqemada (that's hyperbole there folks) but as far as moderating out behavior towards one another, it's pretty much hands off.

I'm obviously new and don't know what will and won't work here, I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents from an outsider perspective.

I’m a member of what I believe is the largest Star Wars collecting community site on the ‘net and we do our feedback the way I mentioned. I know it can work for larger forums, as I’ve seen it and been a part of it. It’s really up to the users to make it work though self policing – as you mentioned - rules that section of the forums.

As for the large Kudos section… well that’s why there’s a search function I guess. And thankfully there is a probation thread here too that helps quickly identify questionable sellers.

I don't mean to engage in a debate about semantics, but a clique is an exclusive group, regardless of the reasons for exclusivity.

Then given that humans have limits on the amount of attention they can provide other people and that groups are limited by space and resources meaning that all people and groups are forced to exclude at some point, all groups of humans are inherently cliques, and the term is useless. :insane:

I like dressing up as an Elf for Christmas...Santa Claus is soooooo yesterday...

Keebler or Middle Earth?

That's the ticket!

ebay was like that in the early days.

Why do you think I posted it....? ;)

Take it up with Webster's. :baiting:

Keebler or Middle Earth?

Rankin-Bass

That's the ticket!

This is one of those "ridiculisation for noobs" replies.

Keebler or Middle Earth?

:roflmao:

You my friend are on a roll tonight....

The lady that loves going to the Dollar Palace because, as she puts it.."I don't have to get dressed up like I am going to Wal-Mart" ...damn near made me fall out of my chair"...... lollol

I believe that Wrightson_fan's statement, in a less polite manner, and I may be incorrect, is that an awful lot of individuals on this board are rude. [ I just edited out the term A-holes]

To blatantly slam on a noob, is just not polite. To with someone that you

may have an established repore is one thing, to drop a hatchet on a noob is

not always cricket.

If it's become a closed society, one only open to old

established veterans, that pay dues, toe the line etc / then, the society is

doomed. Arrogance about what you have, have better than, or have spent

more on acquiring on your quest is rampant. The finest individual I have

ever met thru this forum doesn't have much, but a pile of funny books I

wouldn't pay money for, he doesn't have much of a pot to pisss in, or

at the moment, a window to pour it out of. And he'll only lurk on this forum

because of his current situation. Too bad, you all are missing a mountain

of information.

I hear this type of concern all over the place and I'm not saying it's unwarranted but really, what do you expect to change? This is the internet. For better or worse, it is what it is. You think what goes on here is unique to just the CGC boards? As I said above, there are boards that are far worse than this one. Altough, I never experienced the n00b hazing here, I have experienced it on other boards and at much worse intensity.

I hate kumbaya.

I do not expect cliquishness to change, or really care if it does. We are dealing with a specific suggestion for "approved sellers." I don't think we need to create a committee of cool kids to say who gets to play in the sandbox.

Keebler or Middle Earth?

Rankin-Bass

TOUCHE+TURTLE+2.jpg

That's the ticket!

I've seen feedback systems work and personally never seen one fail. I guess it all depends on who actually buys into it on the forums...

If you were around in the board heyday's of star ratings you might have a radically different opinion.

Having modeled, designed and built reputation metrics at a professional level, the 3 categories of measuring consumer sentiment (positive/negative/neutral) can be effective. But are they enough? What about eliminating "false" values with a "no-doubt" value? How do you score a comment that says: "good, accurate grading, but expensive" - is a fourth category - mixed value - enough? Is it even possible with the way some incidents start to reach their boiling point years from the time the book was originally purchased, and the tides of a once satisfied buyer turning unfavourably after receiving CGC's opinion?

Again, from a purely professional capacity, I might remark that feedback systems can serve some usefulness as a windsock to gauge reputational direction. But context is everything, and when you're basing your decision on a flat count rather than interpreting context and meaning of the feedback, you might view the "mixed" or (-) negative comment of "good grading, but expensive" in a different light when you discover that the buyer took at $30 purchase off the boards or the bay, submitted it to CGC, and got a couple of hundred or a thousand dollar return on their investment with the book achieving a 9.8 grade.