• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Found this old fanzine from 1982 which had a nice little surprise inside:

IMG_9300.thumb.jpg.fdb8f2bfb0bfe6854db4e2ba6456b044.jpg

Wondering if this is the first Bettie Page comic art that Dave got published?

@F For Fake the 1st?

On 11/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, jjfversion1 said:

What was the fanzine?I want a copy.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, jjfversion1 said:

That's great! I can't say for sure if it's the first, but it would definitely be in the running. Earliest date I can find for sure. It's interesting how the trade dress has her name misspelled, but it was corrected when this image was re-used for the 1996 Dark Horse comic. Great pick-up!

On 11/16/2022 at 7:49 AM, F For Fake said:

That's great! I can't say for sure if it's the first, but it would definitely be in the running. Earliest date I can find for sure. It's interesting how the trade dress has her name misspelled, but it was corrected when this image was re-used for the 1996 Dark Horse comic. Great pick-up!

Thanks for the info! I wonder if the the misspelling was done on purpose to avoid any sort of potential litigation? I know that Dave ended up meeting Bettie at some point in the 90s and may have received her blessing. I know he ended up giving her royalties for her likeness.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, Ryan. said:

She was born Betty and eventually changed her name to Bettie. Maybe that has something to
do with it.

Could be! When I was growing up, I always saw it spelled "Betty" (likely due to the Rocketeer, The Betty Pages, and other Betty related material coming out in the 80's) but at a certain point someone declared "It's actually spelled "Bettie"', and then it seemed to change everywhere. I was never sure when that delineation occurred, but a large number of the books and mags published up until the 90's seem to spell it "Betty".

On 11/17/2022 at 4:55 AM, F For Fake said:

Could be! When I was growing up, I always saw it spelled "Betty" (likely due to the Rocketeer, The Betty Pages, and other Betty related material coming out in the 80's) but at a certain point someone declared "It's actually spelled "Bettie"', and then it seemed to change everywhere. I was never sure when that delineation occurred, but a large number of the books and mags published up until the 90's seem to spell it "Betty".

So, I tried going back to an earlier source, the March 1955 issue of Beauty Parade, which has Bettie pictured & named multiple times, including the centerfold.  She's named "Betty" once and "Bettie" twice, so apparently the confusion is nothing remotely new.  I haven't scanned the Bettie pages, but here's the cover for you to enjoy, at least:

830354277_BeautyParade195503.thumb.jpg.5dc209dde79b425423591f2315183be6.jpg

Beautiful books!  FYI, your 3-D #16 is mislabeled by CGC.  It is actually a variant cover since it was printed without thecover title and issue # at the top.  Harder to find, especially in such great condition.  Maybe you could get it redone by CGC with the correct label?  There are currently only 18 graded on the census with only 1 9.8 and no 9.6 issues.

On 1/28/2023 at 1:38 PM, chevalmeow said:

Beautiful books!  FYI, your 3-D #16 is mislabeled by CGC.  It is actually a variant cover since it was printed without thecover title and issue # at the top.  Harder to find, especially in such great condition.  Maybe you could get it redone by CGC with the correct label?  There are currently only 18 graded on the census with only 1 9.8 and no 9.6 issues.

Good catch. An example of the regular cover to compare.

100_2761.JPG.502ae9c5fb511176647644bb4acfbf0e.jpeg

3272713_Full_Obv.jpg