• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,894 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 10:20 PM, Azkaban said:

Have these two I'm taking to the show with me next week :baiting: @F For Fake Signed inside on the splash pages

292173497_475258773949661_8472265503179394156_n.jpg

294164972_776248056894148_7055475440846875717_n.jpg

Those are great! Man, I'm sorry to say, our household got hit my COVID last week, and I am just now getting off the couch and back into the real world. So, the last week has been a blur, and I don't expect we'll be going anywhere anytime soon. It has been an adventure. Hope the show goes great!

On 8/16/2022 at 1:01 PM, F For Fake said:

Those are great! Man, I'm sorry to say, our household got hit my COVID last week, and I am just now getting off the couch and back into the real world. So, the last week has been a blur, and I don't expect we'll be going anywhere anytime soon. It has been an adventure. Hope the show goes great!

Peace, sorry to hear, it can be a wrecking ball, prayers :x 

On 8/16/2022 at 2:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Peace, sorry to hear, it can be a wrecking ball, prayers :x 

Thanks bud, much appreciated! I was double vaxxed AND double boosted, and it still hit me like a sack of hammers. Knocked me flat on my back for a full five days, and didn't start to turn around until I got on the Paxlovid. I'm back at work today but I'll be hitting the hay as soon as I get home. Wife seems to be pretty much through her stint. So, we've mostly come through the other side, but I think we'll be taking it easy for the next couple of weeks!

On 8/18/2022 at 3:48 PM, manetteska said:

Randomly found this in a collection. 

image.thumb.jpg.899db0e7906d315823c2b0ad72aa637b.jpg

Awesome image.I only have one now but during my first collecting go around I had like 30 copies.So much good stuff gone. *sigh* 20/20 hindsight.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, ExNihilo said:

I didn't know who Dave Stevens was until I joined these boards.  But every time I saw issues listed in the sales forums, there was always high praise for his work and listings seemed to sell in a hurry.  I remember, I loved that Planet Comics #1 cover as soon as I saw it and knew I had to get it.  It was only a matter of prioritizing these books over other more immediate collecting goals.  Well, the day finally came where I was content with the big keys I had always wanted and decided to shift my focus onto starting a small collection of some of Dave's more popular covers.

Thrilled to call these mine.

7ah4pa8y54m91.jpg

Awesome! The vanguard os basically the back cover of 3d zone, so I skipped that one, I wouldn't have known the Sheena was also 3d  :banana:

Learned something new, we'll done, apprentice books :)

I've been tempted on the Alien Worlds as well, but like you I have looked to accomplishing other things first ...

There has been time for a few of the top row though!

On 9/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome! The vanguard os basically the back cover of 3d zone, so I skipped that one, I wouldn't have known the Sheena was also 3d  :banana:

I've been tempted on the Alien Worlds as well, but like you I have looked to accomplishing other things first ...

I lucked out and got both Alien Worlds books for $10 ($16 shipped).  $8/book seemed like a good deal to me.  :)

On 9/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, ExNihilo said:

I lucked out and got both Alien Worlds books for $10 ($16 shipped).  $8/book seemed like a good deal to me.  :)

I meant appreciative books, auto correct must not have liked that lol but you have the right idea and I'm glad you found them. I prattle on stuff I've mentioned before in spoiler lol

Spoiler

Ya it can get expensive also to buy already slabbed. I've done so with most but made out ok. It's so cool that you've found them. Like you I heard about them and liked when I joined the boards and for the 1st time. @F For Fake gets a shout out in my registry for informing me, but I also though that I'd find them in the bargain bins. No such luck yet, you've got the right idea to buy raw. I take that back I've found airboy Steven's several times, the best one only came back 9,2, so I hope yours are what you were hoping for. :cheers: !!!

On 9/5/2022 at 5:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, ExNihilo said:

I didn't know who Dave Stevens was until I joined these boards.  But every time I saw issues listed in the sales forums, there was always high praise for his work and listings seemed to sell in a hurry.  I remember, I loved that Planet Comics #1 cover as soon as I saw it and knew I had to get it.  It was only a matter of prioritizing these books over other more immediate collecting goals.  Well, the day finally came where I was content with the big keys I had always wanted and decided to shift my focus onto starting a small collection of some of Dave's more popular covers.

7ah4pa8y54m91.jpg

Sweet looking books and to be prized in any collection but you have only scratched the surface.There is soooooo much more fun coming your way once you jump in with both feet.:cloud9:

On 9/5/2022 at 7:38 PM, Toz said:

Sweet looking books and to be prized in any collection but you have only scratched the surface.There is soooooo much more fun coming your way once you jump in with both feet.:cloud9:

Lol it's true!

There is a certain vampirella that is just her leaning over a pillar or something that is Steven's that I always thought was interesting. I also want to say there is a comic called M.A.I.N. or some such that I vaguely remember.

It's kind of like Hughes with me, both have some random issues that I dream I'll recognize in the bins.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol it's true!

There is a certain vampirella that is just her leaning over a pillar or something that is Steven's that I always thought was interesting. I also want to say there is a comic called M.A.I.N. or some such that I vaguely remember.

It's kind of like Hughes with me, both have some random issues that I dream I'll recognize in the bins.

1169957358_VampirellaAScarletThirst.thumb.jpg.3fc64ec303f191148f95b4aef775bb8a.jpg

Pretty sure that's the one you mean, rather than this one:

Vampirella_Transcending_Time_and_Space.thumb.jpg.62c0c84f8f789d78e81a047f8de713d8.jpg.

Although they both somewhat qualify as leaning over a pillar, somewhat.

Edited by OtherEric

On 9/5/2022 at 7:51 PM, OtherEric said:

1169957358_VampirellaAScarletThirst.thumb.jpg.3fc64ec303f191148f95b4aef775bb8a.jpg

Pretty sure that's the one you mean, rather than this one:

Vampirella_Transcending_Time_and_Space.thumb.jpg.62c0c84f8f789d78e81a047f8de713d8.jpg.

Although they both somewhat qualify as leaning over a pillar, somewhat.

Ya it was the whitish cover I was thinking of, I did a search for the MAIN one but I think it is less common. when it was posted they hadn't ever heard of it..

anyway,, I did the search to refresh myself of what all to look for in the bins..

Still haven't had that much luck, except airboy! The adventure continues 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/5/2022 at 3:41 PM, ExNihilo said:

7ah4pa8y54m91.jpg

Very nice.  The Planet Stories and 3-D Zone 16 are the two I still need to track down.

On 9/5/2022 at 10:07 PM, OtherEric said:

No idea what this book would be, would love to see it if anybody recognizes it.

It's this one, which I believe was a trade industry magazine. Not sure if the art appeared here or on the Harris issue shown above first, but it does look better on the comic book, I think. I do have one of these, but this is not my listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234677529204?hash=item36a3deea74:g:ke0AAOSwHSxjDU9F&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoFTqi3ddTUGotmWO0KDov6fJIuV0vrbWHiPMyMB0lqd%2BqmCqQhVl2ukUyS4SYJKY6AlSOYePg1lhzhCLk%2BONKKUog37PSqiieEKVbKT%2FtW8txVqv2pCagldBBR%2BHdqONQOIDub0nj7oo7%2BZhts90h7js%2Fb%2FBDPNSywDh0aRH2mcz4VxszWQpQNkgcSb2G%2FAhBu1q7%2F2Y7fyMKm63dSfWHgk%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5anp5viYA

Does anyone know what happened to the Dave Stevens checklist web site? it now requires a log in to access it.No idea how to get one for it so we're out in the cold.In case anbyone haden't seen it,it was probably 99.99% complete listing of Dave's work,listed by publisher.I discovered a lot of pieces I never knew about.I knew I should have made a copy of it!:frustrated:

There were some action figure cards he did the art for,Star Wars or MTOU,can't remember which,that looked really good.Would like to have some comic book or mag sized repos of them.Never been into action figures.