• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2022 at 7:05 AM, Toz said:

Does anyone know what happened to the Dave Stevens checklist web site? it now requires a log in to access it.No idea how to get one for it so we're out in the cold.In case anbyone haden't seen it,it was probably 99.99% complete listing of Dave's work,listed by publisher.I discovered a lot of pieces I never knew about.I knew I should have made a copy of it!:frustrated:

There were some action figure cards he did the art for,Star Wars or MTOU,can't remember which,that looked really good.Would like to have some comic book or mag sized repos of them.Never been into action figures.

I’m not sure about the specific list you were using, but the checklist at Dave’s estate is pretty robust.

https://www.davestevens.com/gallery/checklist

On 9/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, ExNihilo said:

I didn't know who Dave Stevens was until I joined these boards.  But every time I saw issues listed in the sales forums, there was always high praise for his work and listings seemed to sell in a hurry.  I remember, I loved that Planet Comics #1 cover as soon as I saw it and knew I had to get it.  It was only a matter of prioritizing these books over other more immediate collecting goals.  Well, the day finally came where I was content with the big keys I had always wanted and decided to shift my focus onto starting a small collection of some of Dave's more popular covers.

Thrilled to call these mine.

7ah4pa8y54m91.jpg

Welcome aboard! You're in for a treat. And the thing about collecting Dave is, while it's true that there are many issues that command a premium, you can also still snag these books in dollar bins, particularly the 80's stuff. It's out there, and there are a lot of sellers, shops, etc who just don't have these books on their radar at all. They just get lumped in with the rest of the overprinted 80's indie boom stuff. If you're looking for a specific book right away, or if you want high grade slabs, yeah, those are going to get costly. But otherwise, if you're patient, and willing to dig, the books are still out there. I've owned several Planet 1's, but the nicest copy I ever got was for $1.25 at a garage sale last year. 

On 9/6/2022 at 2:36 AM, jdandns said:

It's this one, which I believe was a trade industry magazine. Not sure if the art appeared here or on the Harris issue shown above first, but it does look better on the comic book, I think. I do have one of these, but this is not my listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234677529204?hash=item36a3deea74:g:ke0AAOSwHSxjDU9F&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoFTqi3ddTUGotmWO0KDov6fJIuV0vrbWHiPMyMB0lqd%2BqmCqQhVl2ukUyS4SYJKY6AlSOYePg1lhzhCLk%2BONKKUog37PSqiieEKVbKT%2FtW8txVqv2pCagldBBR%2BHdqONQOIDub0nj7oo7%2BZhts90h7js%2Fb%2FBDPNSywDh0aRH2mcz4VxszWQpQNkgcSb2G%2FAhBu1q7%2F2Y7fyMKm63dSfWHgk%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5anp5viYA

Thanks for the link I screenshot it.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:07 AM, OtherEric said:

No idea what this book would be, would love to see it if anybody recognizes it.

Ya I didn't think I'd need periods in the search, acronym?

Screenshot_20220906-094128.png

On 9/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, F For Fake said:

I’m not sure about the specific list you were using, but the checklist at Dave’s estate is pretty robust.

https://www.davestevens.com/gallery/checklist

That's pretty much the same list but the one I used had pics.Was going to puit in a link but all that transfers is 401 error.His estate may have taken it over.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:42 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks for the link I screenshot it.

Ya I didn't think I'd need periods in the search, acronym?

Screenshot_20220906-094128.png

Yeah, it stands for something else. I don't have the issue in front of me, but I'm sure it says what on the first page. I think this was a short-lived title, but I know there's at least one other issue. I actually bought mine just seeing the Elvira cover, so it was a nice surprise to get a Stevens illo on back, especially since I don't have the Harris issue. The Harris issue was from 1993 and M.A.I.N. is from 1996, as it turns out.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:36 AM, jdandns said:

It's this one, which I believe was a trade industry magazine. Not sure if the art appeared here or on the Harris issue shown above first, but it does look better on the comic book, I think. I do have one of these, but this is not my listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234677529204?hash=item36a3deea74:g:ke0AAOSwHSxjDU9F&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoFTqi3ddTUGotmWO0KDov6fJIuV0vrbWHiPMyMB0lqd%2BqmCqQhVl2ukUyS4SYJKY6AlSOYePg1lhzhCLk%2BONKKUog37PSqiieEKVbKT%2FtW8txVqv2pCagldBBR%2BHdqONQOIDub0nj7oo7%2BZhts90h7js%2Fb%2FBDPNSywDh0aRH2mcz4VxszWQpQNkgcSb2G%2FAhBu1q7%2F2Y7fyMKm63dSfWHgk%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5anp5viYA

The listing says it's from 1996 and the Harris book came out in 1993.  Thank you for showing me what book you were talking about.

Edit:  and jdandns pointed out the dates as I was checking and typing.

Edited by OtherEric

On 9/6/2022 at 11:56 AM, jdandns said:

Yeah, it stands for something else. I don't have the issue in front of me, but I'm sure it says what on the first page. I think this was a short-lived title, but I know there's at least one other issue. I actually bought mine just seeing the Elvira cover, so it was a nice surprise to get a Stevens illo on back, especially since I don't have the Harris issue. The Harris issue was from 1993 and M.A.I.N. is from 1996, as it turns out.

I have seen pics of another issue,on Ebay I think, and pretty sure the A in the title stands for Adult,as in adult entertainment.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:30 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Not sure if I posted this one or not. From an issue of Amazing Heroes. 

8AD32349-19B0-4712-A095-FD4E2B9E9007.jpeg

Do you have a date on that Amazing Heroes, by chance? The same image is used, in full color, in DC Who's Who #7, Sep of '85. If this came first, I'll need to track one down!

On 10/4/2022 at 4:13 PM, F For Fake said:

Do you have a date on that Amazing Heroes, by chance? The same image is used, in full color, in DC Who's Who #7, Sep of '85. If this came first, I'll need to track one down!

issue 109, January 1, 1987 publication date.  Part of a behind the scenes article on The Who’s Who artists.