• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,884 posts in this topic

It was a real thrill seeing, albeit briefly, that advertisement Dave Stevens drew for Bob's Comics which was located on Compton Boulevard (now Marine Avenue) in Hawthorne, California. That was my LCS for a time in 1980's. The only guy I ever saw working there, a fellow named Mike, sure was surly. They had all their back-issues in boxes, in order, not bagged or boarded, and you had to consult this giant typed-pages book they had on the front counter for the prices on any of them. I'd sure love a copy of that ad! 

On 12/6/2023 at 7:44 PM, Kramerica said:

Just back from CGC. Quite pleased.

IMG_1486.thumb.jpeg.9576d4d304742248b88b61d7f831b28c.jpeg

If I remember, that you posted when raw? Nice 9.8 that's for sure!

Just thought it had been a minute and if so, I've been putting off sending in too! How's the label on top? In the qc thread there was some that were scrunched up or something...

Nice looking book though :)

On 12/6/2023 at 5:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If I remember, that you posted when raw? Nice 9.8 that's for sure!

Just thought it had been a minute and if so, I've been putting off sending in too! How's the label on top? In the qc thread there was some that were scrunched up or something...

Nice looking book though :)

Thanks! (thumbsu I might have just back when I started collecting DS Books. If so, it was probably my 9.4 raw. I was surprised to find only 28 or so 9.8's in the census. I'm going to add a close-up pic of the label in a moment. Both my Vintage and Modern submissions look good. No cracks, no "floaters"....happy customer here. Pic fixed!

IMG_1487.JPG

Edited by Kramerica
Better Pic

On 12/18/2023 at 8:47 PM, DS Comics said:

I have two copies of Kiss Comix 9 and they have different dates.  Is this a first and second print?  Anyone have more info?

20231218_194431.jpg

20231218_194441.jpg

Just curious, what is the date of the 2nd book (I don’t see it on the cover)? 

On 12/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, Kramerica said:

Thanks! (thumbsu I might have just back when I started collecting DS Books. If so, it was probably my 9.4 raw. I was surprised to find only 28 or so 9.8's in the census. I'm going to add a close-up pic of the label in a moment. Both my Vintage and Modern submissions look good. No cracks, no "floaters"....happy customer here. Pic fixed!

IMG_1487.JPG

I noticed that this had now been listed for auction on MCS and ends Monday 2/19. Sharing for a friend :bigsmile:

Cheval Noir #1 CGC 9.8 Auction

Edited by Kramerica

IDW published the Dave Stevens "Sketches and Studies" hardback book in 2011 and the same format "Covers and Stories" book in 2012.

They each retailed for 50 bucks and sell for $100+ now, both being out of print.

I have a double of "Sketches and Studies" I got back then, but somehow missed "Covers and Stories"

Does anyone have an extra of "Covers and Stories" they'd be willing to trade straight across for "Sketches and Studies"?

There is a lengthy discussion on Dave's work fetching high$$ over in the Copper heating up on Ebay.Here is an example I was watching cause I bought one a few years back for less than $50.I took pics of the screen so it wouldn't vanish in 3 months from a link.Can't believe it sold for that.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

Not to stray from the topic of Dave, but some of the other Dallas Comic-Con programs are highly sought after, too. It's mostly the great art that drives them, but these are also standard comic book-sized which I think add to their desirability. In an unfortunate, for me, inverse to your story, or perhaps a companion to it given that both books have recently multiplied in value, I sold one of these for around $50 five years ago.

Oops.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295925945860?itmmeta=01HPWX7F0DG28X0P2WMM1REX13&hash=item44e68f9604:g:K4QAAOSwsbdk~frT&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4A3dMr%2F0s33HmVq2pCjuWsLz3dIcJO8v1dRNrH1mO%2BMSrgEtXl1o6YDF%2BfmV5kcDZaJom8P%2FnmQx%2Bj6ffELGERjqwZ6tzhxhrbVC8%2FBiBm8qKgyuqejdD6q9xRoOofz36orDSpYZsVhNEMaUwul3O4rO2nSQpbF6K%2Beb6TtQRPSlnSSHBJtZp0u4LjNRbyjDOaHtI%2FQcCCkAwC%2FUmKs--uQXnkXDXlFZOmjRvXQmJqQLYwD%2FfJ30iW2f%2FCetvQ6T5ejfmGOxWnNfl9zSEa605k4qcEVy3zelXSntsOzlQeWg|tkp%3ABk9SR6LwnZ23Yw

Edited by jdandns