• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age and stamps

7 posts in this topic

I found a sweet golden age book that would probably grade about a 9.0. However, it has a very large stamp across the front cover (about 4 inches long!) Everything else is beautiful about the book, but the stamp is very annoying! What type of a deduction would CGC give such a stamp?... I saw a nice golden age book with a huge arrival date written in grease pencil receive a 9.4! (and no remarks). I would imagine a stamp is less distracting than a grease pencil! It is frusterating for golden age collectors when dealing with arrival dates and stamps!

Maybe .4-.5 deduction for such a large stamp??? What do you all think?

With a cvr stamp that big, u may be able to designate it as a pedigree: fr the collection of Clark Kent. Big stamp also on other goldenage like Action 1 used for court case against Eisner's superhero. Maybe no deduction at all by Cgc, as all the cvr writing on the Pay copy of Marvel 1 was done for a purpose so 9.0 blue label.

I don't see how a giant (name) stamp or a grease pencil can't NOT affect the grade! I have a few Bethlemehm copies with large store stamps that may or may not have affected the grade. Any stamp (whether it's a date/store/name) should definetly affect the grade...especially when it is placed on about 10% of the front cover!

i'm not sure that cgc downgrades for date stamps at all on gold and silver books. i have personally seen a few silver age books with very obvious date stamps on the front cover that got a cgc 9.6.

in fact in the current heritage auction there is an ASM #29 with a VERY prominent red date stamp on the cover that has a cgc 9.6 grade.

I wouldn't make judgements based on that grade.. It's a Green River ASM, and thus may have gotten the "lighter" treatment that some people claim pedigrees get. Personally, I don't know if they do or not..but in order to be fair you should probably use a non-pedigree for comparison.

Brian