• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC VIRGIN!!!!! any tips, pointers............

53 posts in this topic

The wallet thing is key, no money, no funny. You could even seperate your cash in to different pockets so it isnt all in one place. And take a look around when you pull money out. Sounds like you are going into a third world country hehehe

Tips for SDCC 10....

1. You have two day passes. I don't know if you can get both of them at once, or if you have to line up for each day. I have seen that 'pick up" line take a couple of hours to get through. Because of that, I would line up "at least an hour" before opening to get your tickets.

2. Take the trolley cars if possible. If you drive, plan on getting to the convention center area by 7:30 AM (at the latest) if you want parking. The con website has pre-paid parking, but they don't come out and guarantee you a spot (why???). Wallking around the Gaslamp district is fun.

3. Avoid the convention food, unless you want to get sick or like to feel crappy. There are lots of good restaurants in the Gaslamp district, some cheap and some expensive. My favorites are Cafe 222 for breakfast, and Horton Plaza for lunch. They are reasonably close to the Convention Center. You can also pick up some food at the local Ralphs and carry that around until lunch time. Eat breakfast early, to avoid the crowds. Same for lunch.

4. Wallet always in the front pocket. Bring money, checks and credit cards. Avoid using the ATM at the Convention Center. If you need comic supplies, Bill Cole has a booth, but he usually runs out of stuff by Sunday.

5. Check out the program guide. As stated before, many good panels overlap, so you might miss a few. Give yourself about 15 minutes to get to a panel. Do not hang out at a dealer booth at 1:59 PM and expect to get to a panel that starts at 2:00 PM. This is especially true at the "Hollywood" type of panels located at the bigger halls. Some panels have lines, long lines and you may get shut out. I got shut out of the Science Mystery Theatre panel a couple of years ago, even though I got there 30 minutes before it started.

6. Bring a camera. You never know what you will see (both good and bad). If you want to take a picture of the bad, make sure your camera has a wide angle lens.

7. San Diego has a lot of sights to offer (Midway aircraft carrier, Balboa Park, etc.). If you are tired, hang out at the back of the Convention Center (nice view).

8. The hall is huge! The comics section is small (in comparison). Artist Alley is neat. The costumes are great. The bathrooms are a nightmare on Saturday. If you do use them, don't touch anything (including the floor)! As a hint, use the bathrooms that are further away (located on the second floor, at the back of the Convention Center). Of course, it'll take you 10 minutes to get to them.

9. As a pedestrian, obey the traffic signals and the psuedo cops. It is OK to wait for the next green light.

10. Expect a ton of people in the hall, in each panel, in each bathroom, in front of the convention center and on the sidewalks.

11. The Con does not allow hand carts. Sheesh, I can still hear that lady's voice saying there is no running in the hall, the hall closes in ten minutes...

12. Have a blast!

Also, make sure you pick the biggest bad arse mother trucker in there and shank him in front of everyone. :mad:

Oooops, wrong forum.

:jokealert:

COMFORTABLE SHOES!!

I went to my first SDCC with sandals for 4 days! Ouch doh!

I really had no clue as to how big the convention was. Live and learn I guess.

Elvis

:signofftopic: That has got to be the coolest thing having a name like Elvis,is that your real name.If so that freekin' rocks :headbang:

Tips for SDCC 10....

1. You have two day passes. I don't know if you can get both of them at once, or if you have to line up for each day. I have seen that 'pick up" line take a couple of hours to get through. Because of that, I would line up "at least an hour" before opening to get your tickets.

2. Take the trolley cars if possible. If you drive, plan on getting to the convention center area by 7:30 AM (at the latest) if you want parking. The con website has pre-paid parking, but they don't come out and guarantee you a spot (why???). Wallking around the Gaslamp district is fun.

3. Avoid the convention food, unless you want to get sick or like to feel crappy. There are lots of good restaurants in the Gaslamp district, some cheap and some expensive. My favorites are Cafe 222 for breakfast, and Horton Plaza for lunch. They are reasonably close to the Convention Center. You can also pick up some food at the local Ralphs and carry that around until lunch time. Eat breakfast early, to avoid the crowds. Same for lunch.

4. Wallet always in the front pocket. Bring money, checks and credit cards. Avoid using the ATM at the Convention Center. If you need comic supplies, Bill Cole has a booth, but he usually runs out of stuff by Sunday.

5. Check out the program guide. As stated before, many good panels overlap, so you might miss a few. Give yourself about 15 minutes to get to a panel. Do not hang out at a dealer booth at 1:59 PM and expect to get to a panel that starts at 2:00 PM. This is especially true at the "Hollywood" type of panels located at the bigger halls. Some panels have lines, long lines and you may get shut out. I got shut out of the Science Mystery Theatre panel a couple of years ago, even though I got there 30 minutes before it started.

6. Bring a camera. You never know what you will see (both good and bad). If you want to take a picture of the bad, make sure your camera has a wide angle lens.

7. San Diego has a lot of sights to offer (Midway aircraft carrier, Balboa Park, etc.). If you are tired, hang out at the back of the Convention Center (nice view).

8. The hall is huge! The comics section is small (in comparison). Artist Alley is neat. The costumes are great. The bathrooms are a nightmare on Saturday. If you do use them, don't touch anything (including the floor)! As a hint, use the bathrooms that are further away (located on the second floor, at the back of the Convention Center). Of course, it'll take you 10 minutes to get to them.

9. As a pedestrian, obey the traffic signals and the psuedo cops. It is OK to wait for the next green light.

10. Expect a ton of people in the hall, in each panel, in each bathroom, in front of the convention center and on the sidewalks.

11. The Con does not allow hand carts. Sheesh, I can still hear that lady's voice saying there is no running in the hall, the hall closes in ten minutes...

12. Have a blast!

gold right here!!

many thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't spend ALL you money in the first hour. There will be something new and cool around every corner.....even if you've walked the floor 3 or 4 times