• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck sells RED RAVEN #1 Mile High Copy and more

145 posts in this topic

Don't know which thread to post this in so I'll try both.

If Chuck wasn't able to come up with the capitol to purchase the Church books, or if he decided for whatever reason to NOT follow the lead, or he was away on vacation at the time.

Who would have been next in line to buy the collection? Or would it all have been thrown away?

Anyone know?

I do know that several dealers were contacted by Edgar Church's family before Chuck, and none of them showed any interest in the collection. (Not knowing what was actually there, of course.) And if I remember correctly, Chuck salvaged many pieces of Edgar Church's artwork from the garbage. I do not know how many dealers they contacted before Chuck, or if the family would have continued to try to sell the books if Chuck hadn't jumped on the deal.

Kinda makes a person ill thinking of that collection being thrown in the garbage, doesn't it?

Somewhere in the pieces that Chuck has written about finding this collection I remember him mentioning that he thinks a BIG CHUNK of the collection might have in fact been thrown out before he got there! I forget the details, but I think there was a completely empty closet/shelves/whatever in the basement, and no place else in the house was free of stuff. His speculation was that this could have been where Edgar Church had kept the funny animal and other humor comics titles/runs that were noticably absent and/or under represented in the collection!

If Chuck wasn't able to come up with the capitol to purchase the Church books, or if he decided for whatever reason to NOT follow the lead, or he was away on vacation at the time.

Who would have been next in line to buy the collection? Or would it all have been thrown away?

Anyone know?

I do know that several dealers were contacted by Edgar Church's family before Chuck, and none of them showed any interest in the collection. (Not knowing what was actually there, of course.) And if I remember correctly, Chuck salvaged many pieces of Edgar Church's artwork from the garbage. I do not know how many dealers they contacted before Chuck, or if the family would have continued to try to sell the books if Chuck hadn't jumped on the deal.

Kinda makes a person ill thinking of that collection being thrown in the garbage, doesn't it?

Somewhere in the pieces that Chuck has written about finding this collection I remember him mentioning that he thinks a BIG CHUNK of the collection might have in fact been thrown out before he got there! I forget the details, but I think there was a completely empty closet/shelves/whatever in the basement, and no place else in the house was free of stuff. His speculation was that this could have been where Edgar Church had kept the funny animal and other humor comics titles/runs that were noticably absent and/or under represented in the collection!

Yeah I remember reading something about that... IIRC the estimate was maybe 4500 books possibly thrown out.

Anyone know?

Yeah I remember reading something about that... IIRC the estimate was maybe 4500 books possibly thrown out.

On top of that, there was flooding or mildew from pipes on a few shelves, that ruined many books.

On top of that, there was flooding or mildew from pipes on a few shelves, that ruined many books.

:gossip: I posted the details on the previous page.

Apparently, there was some water damage and some of the books were just ruined. Awful, when you think about it. :(

Did he ever sell these books? He never mentioned them again in his newsletter?

He's holding onto them for right now until he can find the right artist to tattoo the covers on each cheek of his tush for the next newsletter.

The headline will read, "I think at this point I even have to admit I've lost it (or 'How I came to love the wacky weed a little too much')."

Of course, he'll blame it on Ashley's young influence, and how he was clean before she joined the Mile High crew.

:eyeroll:

Did he ever sell these books? He never mentioned them again in his newsletter?

He's holding onto them for right now until he can find the right artist to tattoo the covers on each cheek of his tush for the next newsletter

If Chuckles posts a pic of tats on his azz, I will sell all my comics and hire a hit squad.

he needs more money to buy dollar books for his shows

seriously, i do not understand his set-up at NYCC. he had a space that probably cost him close to $1000 for 3 days (not much space mind you) and literally had a couple of long boxes of dollar books out. the space itself could have probably accomodated 3 tables, but he didn't set it up economically) if he had sold them all he could not recoup his costs. was it simply to have a presence at the show, a place to store krap he bought and a place for his family to hang out?

and if it cost him a chunk less than $1000 then i seriously might consider doing the show next year.

was it simply to have a presence at the show, a place to store krap he bought and a place for his family to hang out?

Having a presence at the show also allows for collectors/dealers to bring their high-value books to him to potentially purchase, which he then would just contact his want list clients and make even more money.

Especially if Chuck is paying 50%-60% of Overstreet, and then selling at his reduced Mile High prices (125%-150% of Overstreet??).