• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

Any bets these two pre-Robin 'Tec's would have gone for more money except bidders were holding some money back to nab this one here:  lol

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bsuper%2Dheroes%2B18%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1707644&id=1707644&itemType=0

00061412398000111198705006_TH.jpg

Sold for just a piddly $76K and who said the more recent comic book marketplace was crashing with still no stop in sight.  (:

Although not technically a pre-Robin 'Tec book which it clearly is not, I have always considered issues up to 'Tec 40 as part of the same grouping:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-40-dc-1940-cgc-fr-gd-15-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122341-13070.s

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #40 (DC, 1940) CGC FR/GD 1.5 Cream to off-white pages....

Not sure if it's just me, but what is everybody else's thoughts here on this copy selling for $8,400 in yeaterday's HA Sunday auction as I thought it was a relatively strong result from my own personal POV, given the assigned grade of only CGC 1.5?  hm  (shrug)

On 10/9/2023 at 5:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Although not technically a pre-Robin 'Tec book which it clearly is not, I have always considered issues up to 'Tec 40 as part of the same grouping:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/detective-comics-40-dc-1940-cgc-fr-gd-15-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122341-13070.s

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #40 (DC, 1940) CGC FR/GD 1.5 Cream to off-white pages....

Not sure if it's just me, but what is everybody else's thoughts here on this copy selling for $8,400 in yeaterday's HA Sunday auction as I thought it was a relatively strong result from my own personal POV, given the assigned grade of only CGC 1.5?  hm  (shrug)

I thought about 6 to 7,000. To me the book is overpriced. Why it sells for more than #39 I do not know. Joker cover or not Tec 39 is a much prettier book. 

On 10/9/2023 at 4:28 PM, Professor K said:

I thought about 6 to 7,000. To me the book is overpriced. Why it sells for more than #39 I do not know. Joker cover or not Tec 39 is a much prettier book. 

Well, I imagine that Joker covers and first appearances/origins always tend to bring a premium in the comic book marketplace as compared to surrounding regular issues without these demand driven characeteristics.  hm

Especially when the 'Tec 40 is considered by most in the hobby to be the first Joker cover plus the storyline also features the first full appearance and origin of Clayface.  (thumbsu  

On 10/25/2023 at 1:19 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Comiclink Nov auction

00000040000000094339313001.thumb.jpg.a75b73916e4a41bc2a8cfc22a9e211a0.jpg

Cool. I hadn't seen that. Married back cover hm. Green label hm. I wonder if that will hurt it hm. If it was just the front cover with a Blue PG label it might sell for more, and they would still have the back cover to sell seperately. 

Now that I think of it seems really odd. Cover only, back cover married. This deserves another hm emoji. Does that mean they are physically connected somehow? If the front and back covers are from 2 different books I guess they could also say the front cover is married as well. 

On 7/6/2010 at 12:42 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

I think that it is about time that we began a club devoted to one of the most beloved runs in the history of the Golden Age; the famous "Pre-Robin Tec" run.

Detective Comics #27-37...

*Your copy: how did you get it?

*Where did you get it from?

*Why did you get it?

*What kind of condition is it in?

*Stories behind the book.

*Interested in picking up a copy?

*Interested in picking up another copy?

Pretty much anything that you can think of related to the Pre-Robin Tec run is fair game. (thumbs u

If my new display name hasn't already given it away, allow me to be the first to share...

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy74/Detective33Kid/mine3.jpg

Detective Comics #33: CGC .5 (Back cover missing; WHITE Pages)

This was a book that I had wanted for many years. I learned long ago that Detective Comics #27 would be way out of my price-range and at this point, the same could be said of any copy of Batman #1 that isn't coverless.

I was very fortunate that a fellow board-member, "Bat-Man", was willing to sell me his copy. It was a book that I had wanted ever since he first shared it with me and I feel very fortunate to now be able to call it my own.

Obviously the book has been through a lot. It has some serious mouse-chew and the back-cover is missing. What I found amazing is that despite the obvious defects, what remains of the book is still in fantastic condition. White pages and the classic image of Batman on the front-cover is still 100% in-tact.

If it were not for the defects, this book would have never been anywhere near my price-range and I'd have to settle for a higher graded copy of a much less significant issue. Detective Comics #33 has always been one of my personal favorites because I simply love the cover and feel that the story of Batman's origin is the most important Golden Age story ever told.

And thus...I'm proud to call myself "Detective33Kid". :cloud9:

Hi Detective33kid.

On 10/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, Professor K said:

Cool. I hadn't seen that. Married back cover hm. Green label hm. I wonder if that will hurt it hm. If it was just the front cover with a Blue PG label it might sell for more, and they would still have the back cover to sell seperately. 

Now that I think of it seems really odd. Cover only, back cover married. This deserves another hm emoji. Does that mean they are physically connected somehow? If the front and back covers are from 2 different books I guess they could also say the front cover is married as well. 

105k.  It’s the closet your ever gonna get to owning the most important piece of the book.

somewhat in reach for some. 

On 10/25/2023 at 10:37 PM, action1kid said:

105k.  It’s the closet your ever gonna get to owning the most important piece of the book.

I'm not going to even try to guess this one. I was just thinking that if it was just the front cover in a Blue label holder it might sell for more then in it's current state. 

On 10/25/2023 at 7:37 PM, action1kid said:

I think 105k is a little low but think 130k is what im thinking. I would have been so happy for this if I still had my coverless 27 but those days are long gone.:cry:

On 10/26/2023 at 12:58 PM, Professor K said:

I'm glad you said that. Hi Yorick, is there any way to tell them apart? 

It may have a different department number.  @Primetime, do you know whether the department number is different on the back of Action 12 and Detective 27?