• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

Very, VERY impressive!

I'm sure you can't wait to see the #29 when you get it back.

I also really like your #31, reminds me of my #33 due to the solid PQ and the missing the back-cover. Out of curiosity, what do you think the FMV on the #31 would be?

Good question. I'm not sure what is the current FMV for a 31...nor do I follow trends. I guess I'm what you call a value investor, looking to profit from a long term hold. For the entire run (including Bat 1), my upfront costs didn't go above 15K...and most of the books were bought in 2007-2008.

Imran and Andre and the "new" George and Rick lol

Rick, you and I both know that you have a Pre-Robin Tec or two stashed away in your collection... :popcorn:

what about a tec 27 and a tec 31...would that count (shrug)

Actually we forgot to tell you those are the only 2 books we dont allow in this club sorry (tsk)

Very, VERY impressive!

I also really like your #31, reminds me of my #33 due to the solid PQ and the missing the back-cover. Out of curiosity, what do you think the FMV on the #31 would be?

Good question. I'm not sure what is the current FMV for a 31...nor do I follow trends. I guess I'm what you call a value investor, looking to profit from a long term hold. For the entire run (including Bat 1), my upfront costs didn't go above 15K...and most of the books were bought in 2007-2008.

I'd say that you invested well then. (thumbs u

I'm sure those books will pay off in the long-run.

Very impressive indeed.

It'd be interesting to see census numbers alongside your running tally there.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club list (updated):

Tec #27: 0

Tec #28: 3

Tec #29: 1

Tec #30: 1

Tec #31: 3

Tec #32: 2

Tec #33: 3

Tec #34: 1

Tec #35: 3

Tec #36: 5

Tec #37: 2

It'd be interesting to see census numbers alongside your running tally there.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club list (updated):

Tec #27: 0

Tec #28: 3

Tec #29: 1

Tec #30: 1

Tec #31: 3

Tec #32: 2

Tec #33: 3

Tec #34: 1

Tec #35: 3

Tec #36: 5

Tec #37: 2

I'm sure it's too early to tell after only one day (for instance, we know Tec #28 is far more scarce than Tec #34 even though the list so far wouldn't seem to indicate that).

Still, I think it will prove to be quite interesting to see what issues people have in their collections. 24 total Pre-Robin Tecs in one day is a pretty impressive figure; glad to see the thread is catching on. (thumbs u

Edited by Detective33Kid

My lone entry into the club...Matt Nelson says it has a 50/50 shot at a 5.5 and the CGC graders contemplated it...but I love it as is...

tec31cgc5-1.jpg

5.0, 5.5, who cares, it is a BEAUT...if only I were a rich man, i could have kept it :cry:

That's an incredible copy! You could have kept it, but was too focus on Superman 14 (hella cool book).

:jokealert:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

My lone entry into the club...Matt Nelson says it has a 50/50 shot at a 5.5 and the CGC graders contemplated it...but I love it as is...

tec31cgc5-1.jpg

5.0, 5.5, who cares, it is a BEAUT...if only I were a rich man, i could have kept it :cry:

That's an incredible copy! You could have kept it, but was too focus on Superman 14 (hella cool book).

:jokealert:

I guess that is true...at the time, I had 5 copies of Tec 31 and 7 copies of superman 14... just that tec 31 goes for SO much more money, that I chose to sell them first, but the day of reckoning for supes 14 is coming (out of the 18 copies I have, 4 are already sold, so 13 to go, and one I will keep!)

Very, VERY impressive!

Terry O'Neil offered me a CGC .5 o/w Tec 31 last year before I bought my copy...it was sold to someone in NY and Yannis finally got it...not sure if this is the same copy Rockman, but Terry had offered it to me for $5500...

If my new display name hasn't already given it away, allow me to be the first to share...

mine3.jpg

Detective Comics #33: CGC .5 (Back cover missing; WHITE Pages)

This was a book that I had wanted for many years. I learned long ago that Detective Comics #27 would be way out of my price-range and at this point, the same could be said of any copy of Batman #1 that isn't coverless.

I was very fortunate that a fellow board-member, "Bat-Man", was willing to sell me his copy. It was a book that I had wanted ever since he first shared it with me and I feel very fortunate to now be able to call it my own.

Obviously the book has been through a lot. It has some serious mouse-chew and the back-cover is missing. What I found amazing is that despite the obvious defects, what remains of the book is still in fantastic condition. White pages and the classic image of Batman on the front-cover is still 100% in-tact.

If it were not for the defects, this book would have never been anywhere near my price-range and I'd have to settle for a higher graded copy of a much less significant issue. Detective Comics #33 has always been one of my personal favorites because I simply love the cover and feel that the story of Batman's origin is the most important Golden Age story ever told.

And thus...I'm proud to call myself "Detective33Kid". :cloud9:

Have you checked with CGC that they actually got rid of the mice before sealing the slab ... cause if the mice are still in there in the holder then they probably wont stop chewing the book? :jokealert:

Congrats! Great book - on of a kind copy of a great milestone ...

Might very well have been one of the most valuable meals ever eaten. lol

I tried to do my best to look through the slab to make sure they were gone and thankfully...they were!

Nevertheless, I owe those mice a debt of gratitude. Had it not been for their pricey dinner one evening...this milestone issue would have never been available to me. :cloud9:

Very, VERY impressive!

Terry O'Neil offered me a CGC .5 o/w Tec 31 last year before I bought my copy...it was sold to someone in NY and Yannis finally got it...not sure if this is the same copy Rockman, but Terry had offered it to me for $5500...

Was it missing a back-cover as well?

Very, VERY impressive!

yep. might be the same copy as rockman's but I think it is a different one if he has had his copy since 07-08...I think the .5 copy Terry obtained last year was from a local collector (SoCal), so probably a different copy..

Very, VERY impressive!

yep. might be the same copy as rockman's but I think it is a different one if he has had his copy since 07-08...I think the .5 copy Terry obtained last year was from a local collector (SoCal), so probably a different copy..

There are two .5's on the census so it's a very likely possibility; the fact that both have the back-cover missing is an interesting coincidence as I doubt it was a re-sub.

$5,500 seems like a strong price but certainly not out of line for a book of Tec #31's magnitude; especially when there are only 27 graded unrestored copies to-date.

That sounds about right. Yannis gave me a great deal, accepting cash plus comics. My records show it was sold by amerweb on eBay (4/21/2008) with a Buy It Now of $4K. The slab went to a buyer on the West Coast who sold it to Terry's Comics. Terry sold it to someone on the East Coast. It fell off the back of a truck. (kidding) Yannis picked it up, bought it, sold it to me. Now it's back on the West Coast again.

If only this slab can talk, there might be a movie: The Brotherhood of the Traveling Comic Book.

Edited by rockman2008