• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

These two offerings are beaters but will hold demand and value regardless,,

The first book was from Metropolis about 4 years ago..

The interior back page is interesting,,a piece of paper was glued to the interior back page. On the piece of paper are names and dates of different people..

It seems the book was maybe in a library, school or even a hospital and readers would return the book when they were finished and then logged in for another interested reader.

The book is a return copy so it could have been donated to any number of places where it could be read over and over probably by children or even adults?

File0387.jpg

The second book is a coverless beater won for less than a hundred bucks on ebay about 4 or 5 years ago..

File0264.jpg

I let Vinnie fondle 1 of my 3 Detect #27's at SDCC: (worship)

P7250224.jpg

:o

I knew you once owned a coverless copy but this is an entirely different story.

Do you still own any of the three?

alan is just joking, but it is impressive to see 3 tec 27's at once~! all were metro inventory

yep. might be the same copy as rockman's but I think it is a different one if he has had his copy since 07-08...I think the .5 copy Terry obtained last year was from a local collector (SoCal), so probably a different copy..

I bought most of the run in 07-08. The deal with Yannis was the last one in 09.

Very, VERY impressive!

I'm sure you can't wait to see the #29 when you get it back.

I also really like your #31, reminds me of my #33 due to the solid PQ and the missing the back-cover. Out of curiosity, what do you think the FMV on the #31 would be?

Good question. I'm not sure what is the current FMV for a 31...nor do I follow trends. I guess I'm what you call a value investor, looking to profit from a long term hold. For the entire run (including Bat 1), my upfront costs didn't go above 15K...and most of the books were bought in 2007-2008.

Terry O'Neil offered me a CGC .5 o/w Tec 31 last year before I bought my copy...it was sold to someone in NY and Yannis finally got it...not sure if this is the same copy Rockman, but Terry had offered it to me for $5500...

Was it missing a back-cover as well?

yep. might be the same copy as rockman's but I think it is a different one if he has had his copy since 07-08...I think the .5 copy Terry obtained last year was from a local collector (SoCal), so probably a different copy..

There are two .5's on the census so it's a very likely possibility; the fact that both have the back-cover missing is an interesting coincidence as I doubt it was a re-sub.

$5,500 seems like a strong price but certainly not out of line for a book of Tec #31's magnitude; especially when there are only 27 graded unrestored copies to-date.

I can confirm that there are indeed 2 CGC .5 Tec 31 Blue's both missing the Back Cover.

But it is important to note the one Rockman has is far superior to the "other" copy out there. (thumbs u

Very, VERY impressive!

I also really like your #31, reminds me of my #33 due to the solid PQ and the missing the back-cover. Out of curiosity, what do you think the FMV on the #31 would be?

Good question. I'm not sure what is the current FMV for a 31...nor do I follow trends. I guess I'm what you call a value investor, looking to profit from a long term hold. For the entire run (including Bat 1), my upfront costs didn't go above 15K...and most of the books were bought in 2007-2008.

Terry O'Neil offered me a CGC .5 o/w Tec 31 last year before I bought my copy...it was sold to someone in NY and Yannis finally got it...not sure if this is the same copy Rockman, but Terry had offered it to me for $5500...

There are two .5's on the census so it's a very likely possibility; the fact that both have the back-cover missing is an interesting coincidence as I doubt it was a re-sub.

$5,500 seems like a strong price but certainly not out of line for a book of Tec #31's magnitude; especially when there are only 27 graded unrestored copies to-date.

I can confirm that there are indeed 2 CGC .5 Tec 31 Blue's both missing the Back Cover.

But it is important to note the one Rockman has is far superior to the "other" copy out there. (thumbs u

4 out of 5 rodents recommend my copy.

Very, VERY impressive!

4 out of 5 rodents recommend my copy.

:roflmao:

Very, VERY impressive!

very fair price IMO...a .5 complete that was tattered went for $3300 two years ago on eBay..I'd rather pay the xtra $2k and have no BC but have the all IMPORTANT FC to this Bat gem (thumbs u

That sounds about right. Yannis gave me a great deal, accepting cash plus comics. My records show it was sold by amerweb on eBay (4/21/2008) with a Buy It Now of $4K. The slab went to a buyer on the West Coast who sold it to Terry's Comics. Terry sold it to someone on the East Coast. It fell off the back of a truck. (kidding) Yannis picked it up, bought it, sold it to me. Now it's back on the West Coast again.

If only this slab can talk, there might be a movie: The Brotherhood of the Traveling Comic Book.

excellent record keeping Mr. Wayne. ;)

That sounds about right. Yannis gave me a great deal, accepting cash plus comics. My records show it was sold by amerweb on eBay (4/21/2008) with a Buy It Now of $4K. The slab went to a buyer on the West Coast who sold it to Terry's Comics. Terry sold it to someone on the East Coast. It fell off the back of a truck. (kidding) Yannis picked it up, bought it, sold it to me. Now it's back on the West Coast again.

If only this slab can talk, there might be a movie: The Brotherhood of the Traveling Comic Book.

more like "dizzying" record keeping to me lol

more like "dizzying" record keeping to me lol

:P:ohnoez:

I'm just surprised that the book has had that hard of a time finding a home. There are many collectors out there who would not only love to own a book like that but would make it the centerpiece of their personal collections.

These two offerings are beaters but will hold demand and value regardless,,

The first book was from Metropolis about 4 years ago..

The interior back page is interesting,,a piece of paper was glued to the interior back page. On the piece of paper are names and dates of different people..

It seems the book was maybe in a library, school or even a hospital and readers would return the book when they were finished and then logged in for another interested reader.

The book is a return copy so it could have been donated to any number of places where it could be read over and over probably by children or even adults?

File0387.jpg

The second book is a coverless beater won for less than a hundred bucks on ebay about 4 or 5 years ago..

File0264.jpg

Both books are awesome!

The first one appears as though it might have some good history behind it and the second was simply a "steal of a deal" that many people today would wish they bid on a few years back.

I let Vinnie fondle 1 of my 3 Detect #27's at SDCC: (worship)

P7250224.jpg

:o

I knew you once owned a coverless copy but this is an entirely different story.

Do you still own any of the three?

alan is just joking, but it is impressive to see 3 tec 27's at once~! all were metro inventory

Agreed. (thumbs u

Awesome for Metro to have held three copies at once for sure.

I wonder when the 4.0 on Metro/CC will sell and how much it will eventually sell for. hm

Very, VERY impressive!

Well if the owner of the "other" copy wants to donate their Tec #31 to a worthy cause, I'd be happy to pair it up with its Tec #33 brother. :grin:

Very, VERY impressive!

very fair price IMO...a .5 complete that was tattered went for $3300 two years ago on eBay..I'd rather pay the xtra $2k and have no BC but have the all IMPORTANT FC to this Bat gem (thumbs u

I know the overall conditions vary...but boy doesn't that make me feel fortunate to have landed by Tec #33 when I did. :cloud9:

Since I have two that are complete, I guess I qualify. My holdings are:

27 - Rebuilt from a copy missing the cover, 3 centerfolds, and a page

in the last half of the book. All missing parts replaced and new staples.

The Batman story is complete. There are tear seals.

28 -Missing cover, 5 outer wraps (entire Batman story is gone) and centerfold

is missing. Cost $75.00 about 10 years ago.

29 - A coverless copy with a xerox wraparound cover and restapled. May have

minor restoration (tear seals) inside.

30 - Coverless

31 - Coverless

32 - Coverless and a coupon out a page in the back

33 - Coverless and missing a coupon on the centerfold. Paid $400 at Chicago

sometime in the mid 1990's.

34 - Complete (low grade)

35 - Coverless, last page missing.

36 - Complete

37 - Coverless.

I am not setup for scans, so no pictures. So 8 that need replacing.

Since I have two that are complete, I guess I qualify. My holdings are:

27 - Rebuilt from a copy missing the cover, 3 centerfolds, and a page

in the last half of the book. All missing parts replaced and new staples.

The Batman story is complete. There are tear seals.

28 -Missing cover, 5 outer wraps (entire Batman story is gone) and centerfold

is missing. Cost $75.00 about 10 years ago.

29 - A coverless copy with a xerox wraparound cover and restapled. May have

minor restoration (tear seals) inside.

30 - Coverless

31 - Coverless

32 - Coverless and a coupon out a page in the back

33 - Coverless and missing a coupon on the centerfold. Paid $400 at Chicago

sometime in the mid 1990's.

34 - Complete (low grade)

35 - Coverless, last page missing.

36 - Complete

37 - Coverless.

I am not setup for scans, so no pictures. So 8 that need replacing.

Any chance you could share a digital pic group shot? :wishluck: