• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

there are a ton of reasons some ext can only get to 3.5 and others 8.5...

Money limitations during time of repair, interior stains, etc, etc.

Some people don't restore their books to attempt to get them into a specific CGC holder. Some people just restore their books to keep them readable and look nicer.

For all we know this book was restored before CGC existed.

well you can add me to the "club" as a temporary member...i have this 35 for now,but it will be moved on to the new owner once i get a couple other pre-robin tecs,and 69,73 pulled together.

But i get to enjoy the moment!

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

:o

What about

You can add this 35 to the list of books that won't be seen again for sale,most likely for about 30 years.

So that's 1 less,even tho its a Plod.

Tec35-1.jpg

????

This beatyful Tec 35 with extensive work reaches an apparent grade of 3.5.

But I have seen extensively restored GA books reach an apparent grade of 8.0 and as high as 8.5 !

But does this indicate that between two extensive plods such as those mentioned there can be 8-10 grade ticks (3.5 to 8.5) between the books *before* they were worked on?

This is what puzzles me: If you choose to go extensive on a book why stop at a 3.5ish apparent grade when you (perhaps?!?) can have an apparent grade of 8.5 or 9.0? Or is it only *some* Ext. restored books that can go that high, while others can 'only' make it to 3.0-4.0 with ext restoe?

And how big should the price difference be between an Ext 3.0 and an extensive 8.0 for instance ? Is there any price difference? Or is it just Extensive = one price for all copies no matter if their apparent are 3.0 or 8.0??

Sorry if I have derailed - I just keep on trying to understand this foggy restoe-theme in comics whenever I bump into something hard to understand. And restoe on the Classic Tecs will always be discussed I think.

there are a ton of reasons some ext can only get to 3.5 and others 8.5...

maybe the cover is so wrinkled and creased, that it is not visually apparent from the ouside (due to color touch, etc) but from the inside, looks really bad?

maybe there is a huge piece replacement vs several small piece replacements...

maybe it is quality of work, etc

tons of reasons, but absolutely the condition of the book BEFORE resto leads itself to the main reason...

so, a 3.5 ext vs a 8.5ext will have a huge price diff, just as a 3.5 vs a 8.5 will

this is my rule of thumb, though it by no means applies to all books

slight is generally 35-100%+ of unrestored FMV (depending on book)

mod is generally 25-35% (though some books, even ext restored sell for more than unrestored, just depends on rarity)

Ext is generally 15-25% (15% for lower grade ext and upto 25% of high grade ext)

Thanks Rick for the answer -

It surprises me

(i) that that some moderately restored books can go higher than unrestored?

(ii) That high grade extensive can reach 25%of blue label value.

In that case plod is becomming the 'Purple Label Of Delirium' ... lol

Thanks Rick for the answer -

It surprises me

(i) that that some moderately restored books can go higher than unrestored?

(ii) That high grade extensive can reach 25%of blue label value.

In that case plod is becomming the 'Purple Label Of Delirium' ... lol

1-actually, I have paid more for certain Extensively restored books, than guide value of the book in same unrestored grade (MMC46, Captain America 46 are a few examples)...

so, it is not just slight and mod that can sell for more than unrestored, ext can too...just depends on the rarity of the book...

heck, that ext restored pep 22 probably just sold for more than "unrestored" guide value...

2-as mentioned, some ext (high grade or not), will go well beyond 25%, but as a general rule, 25% is about right...

the reasoning behind that can be seen in this example...

let's say book A is a g/vg, restored a VF...

in g/vg the book is worth $200, in VF, the book is worth $1000

as an ext VF, if someone pays $250 (25%) that is "about" what the pre resto price would have been+ some value of the restoration...

now, this is a non specific generic example, but you get the point...

20 years ago, the example would have looked like this

pre resto g/vg=200

restored to VF

unrestored VF =1000

restored VF=600...it was a function of adding pre and post value and dividing by 2!

I had always heard that a good rule of thumb for deciding to have restoration done is that the book should have a minimum value of 1,000 before any work is done. Does that still hold true.

In your example the dude obviously would have lost money on the restoration.

There were two recent sales of books with resto that went for way more than 50% of blue label value.

The Denver copy of Batman 1 which I don't remember the specifics. And there was a AF15 9.0 with Sp with a small dab of color touch to repair a tape pull. I think in both cases the history was known and the books were basically killer copies before the resto.

I am still kicking myself for not buying the denver bat 1...I made a 55K offer post auction, thought for sure I would "get it" given that no one bought at 59K during the auction, and a day later someone did :cry:

well you can add me to the "club" as a temporary member...i have this 35 for now,but it will be moved on to the new owner once i get a couple other pre-robin tecs,and 69,73 pulled together.

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

What about

You can add this 35 to the list of books that won't be seen again for sale,most likely for about 30 years.

Tec35-1.jpg

????

What about it?Book was bought along with a 135,and now a 33 for the same person.

Looking for a 36,69 and 73 to finish off his list of books that i'm getting for him.

That 35 will not be back out on the market,nor will the 33 i just bought,and i will hold all of them until i complete the list of books for him...3 down,3 to go.Hope that clears it up.

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

What about

Tec35-1.jpg

????

What about it?Book was bought along with a 135,and now a 33 for the same person.

Looking for a 36,69 and 73 to finish off his list of books that i'm getting for him.

That 35 will not be back out on the market,nor will the 33 i just bought,and i will hold all of them until i complete the list of books for him...3 down,3 to go.Hope that clears it up.

Can you share the Tec #33? :wishluck:

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

What about

Tec35-1.jpg

????

I will have it in hand next week,and will post the picture. (thumbs u

IMGP1270-2-2.jpg

What about

Tec35-1.jpg

????

I will have it in hand next week,and will post the picture. (thumbs u

Sounds great!

Good issue to have methinks. hm

I know this thread is about the pre Robin's, but that's a pretty 'Tec #135. That one is a toughie in nice shape.

Here is my Tec 31 CGC 2.5 - The "Grail" of my collection :cloud9:

(Already posted in the previous page during Showcase's Action 13 and my Tec 31 "mind explosion")

IMG_1264-3.jpg

DET1_7966b.jpg

It just never gets old looking at this. :applause:

Always seems to remind me about how another 2.5 Tec #31 sold for more than an unrestored 3.5 Captain America Comics #1!

Greatest cover of all-time?

Probably.

I think this is the first time I got to see the back-cover!

Beautiful grail Alex; one any collector would be proud to call their own. :cloud9:

(Already posted in the previous page during Showcase's Action 13 and my Tec 31 "mind explosion")

IMG_1264-3.jpg

DET1_7966b.jpg

Always seems to remind me about how another 2.5 Tec #31 sold for more than an unrestored 3.5 Captain America Comics #1!

Probably.

Beautiful grail Alex; one any collector would be proud to call their own. :cloud9:

Thanks!

I really treasure it! Wanted one since I was a young lad. :grin:

Greatest cover of all? I think so! :applause:

IMG_1264-3.jpg

DET1_7966b.jpg

Probably.

Thanks!

I really treasure it! Wanted one since I was a young lad. :grin:

Greatest cover of all? I think so! :applause:

Unless of course, you want to compare the cover to Tec #33...then you'd be in for some stiff competition. :baiting:

Perhaps a little bit of bias is starting to go to my head but...I really am quite fond of Tec #33 for some reason. hm