• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Soooo...

We know about Albedo #0 Yellow, and Gobbledygook...

And we know that (almost) eveything published by Marvel/DC numbers in the 10s of thousands.....

But what are the genuinely rare books that, either through low print run, or attrition, are simply impossible to find, anywhere, for any price?

And we're off....

The Amethyst price variants (just because it is the same as saying Flying_Donut three times in a mirror. He is guaranteed to show up.)

The '85-86 Charlton books are not super tough, but they are pretty tough in grade.

The last couple issues of the series in the Star line.

Not sure about this one, but I bet the last couple issues of the New Universe line are tougher.

I sometimes think about print runs of some of the 80's b&w stuff. I don't mean the stuff that was hot at one time like The Adventures or the Fish Police for example but the more obscure stuff that never took off. Much of it was pretty bad but the print runs couldn't have been very high.

NIght Drive by Richard Sala - 200 copies signed and numbered. Magazine sized. 1st "Invisible Hands"

I have a copy buried in a box, but I swiped this image from the net.

38124C59-45CF-41B0-8EA2D7ED454AA00F.jpg

If you get into mini-comics, some of the XEX graphics books (which were off-set printed, not photocopied, and frequently had color covers), had print runs of 50.

I sometimes think about print runs of some of the 80's b&w stuff. I don't mean the stuff that was hot at one time like The Adventures or the Fish Police for example but the more obscure stuff that never took off. Much of it was pretty bad but the print runs couldn't have been very high.
You would be surprised. B&W was HOT back then. I have comics that lasted only one issue and were completely amateurish and the editorial on the first page will mention a print run of 20,000-25,000. Mail order stuff is harder. It's extremely aggrivating when something completely undesirable and affordable is in your crosshairs, but it's impossible to find anywhere because only 200 or so copies were printed and nobody is collecting them or selling them.

SDCC Comics #2 = not rare (and not 80's.)

Men In Black = not rare (and not 80's.)

There are a *few* Marvel/DCs that qualify (the aforementioned Amethyst 35s, for example), but they are a tiny handful.

Even the Stars are not terribly rare (and all the NU is downright common.)

Let's ignore issues of grade for the sake of the discussion.

We can include the Whitman 3-Packs, some of which number in the teens for known copies.

What else?

What about San Diego Comic Con Comics #2

(1st Hellboy)

sdcc21stHellboy.jpg

Most of these were ruined by employees stuffing them into the freebie bags they gave out.

not the 1st app of hellboy. :gossip:

hellboy song and dance thread

Please :eyeroll:

Actually, I was showing in that Modern thread SDCC 2 is the 1st true full appearance of Hellboy. So Dave is right.

(thumbs u

And with only 1,500 copies printed for the SDCC, a nice book to have if you can get them in high grade.

The other thread reminded me, fan club kits and newsletters. Oh what to give for some TMNT, Ralph Snart, and Elfquest fanclub materials :cloud9:

I remember getting some Elfquest fan material in the 80s. I know there was a postcard but I can't remember the other items.

The other thread reminded me, fan club kits and newsletters. Oh what to give for some TMNT, Ralph Snart, and Elfquest fanclub materials :cloud9:

I remember getting some Elfquest fan material in the 80s. I know there was a postcard but I can't remember the other items.

I sent away for some but never got anything