• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Friend, Leonard Brown and Collectors Bookstore

28 posts in this topic

My uncle took me to Collectors Bookstore in the early 1980s. I bought my first golden age comic, Young Allies #20, for $20. I wanted a Timely sooo bad and this was the most reasonably priced title. I think it was in VF condition but I accidentally popped the cover off within a week or two. I was heartbroken. I remember the store had showcases filled with multiple early issues of Batman... I'm not sure if they were part of an auction at the time?

I believe my uncle would send Leonard his wantlist and receive books in the mail to inspect. If my uncle liked a book, he would send payment. If he didn't, he would send the book back. They were never expensive books... I remember some Raggedy Ann and Andy, golden age Daredevil, and some Alley Oops. I thought my uncle was so cool to get this kind of treatment and know all the coolest comic guys.

Thanks for all the nice words! I'm glad I was able to bring back some great memories, whether they were at Collectors Bookstore or some other place. I have been pleasantly surprised by how much interest there is in the early days of our hobby and will try to add some other adventures from time to time.

Rich

Hi Rich, I haven't bought an OPG in years, but I think I may have to break down and get one this year, if only to read your article. I love learning about the early days of fandom. I also wasn't aware of the Schelly, but I just ordered it. Thanks for the tip! (thumbs u

I'm not sure if they were part of an auction at the time?

Collectors ran regular auctions with quality material - wish I had saved those old auction catalogs, but unfortunately they all got tossed when I moved.

I met Howard Lowrey at Collectors - I believe he worked for Leonard. Howard was a heck of a nice guy, and he later opened up his own Disney collectibles business locally. I last saw him and his wife at the grocery store years ago, and have no idea what he is up to now.

Thanks for the OSPG article Richard; early fandom history is both entertaining and nostalgic.

Steve

Collectors Bookstore ran a monthly auction that did have great stuff. I think I have one of the only remaining complete sets of catalogs and prices realized, and I cry when I see what I didn't buy for next to nothing! Howard and his brother both started at CB, Howard eventually took over the auction and the original art, and finally went out on his own.

The first page of each catalog always had original art, but the second page had the best of the Golden Age books for that auction. When they were just planning the auction, Leonard told me he was going to really load the first issue to get people interested in it--he did, and it worked! Without checking my refcords, I am pretty sure the auction was monthly for over ten years. One of the great things about the auction is that it was totally honest. No one appreciated honesty more than Leonard. If anyone ever game him cause to not trust them, that person never bought anything else from Leonard. At the same time, he made some life-long friends who were totally honest and shared his love for the material. People like Ray Funk and Chuck McLeary were good friends until the end--and, of course, I like to count myself in that number.

Rich.

People like Ray Funk and Chuck McLeary were good friends until the end--and, of course, I like to count myself in that number.

Rich.

I've enjoyed meeting Ray Funk and Chuck has been a longtime friend (just saw him in San Diego this past weekend).

A complete set of Collectors auction catalogs? Wow, now THAT'S a trip down memory lane. :cloud9:

Ray Funk is a great guy and the consummate collector! He collects what he likes in several different areas. He used to write the chapter on Farm Toys when Richard O'Brien was doing his toy books. He is one of the most knowledgable Buck Rogers collectors around. I doubt if anyone knows more about model trains. And the list goes on and on. But what really makes him special is that he is such a nice guy and willing to share what he knows.

Chuck McLeary is another great guy whose interests were a little more focused on comics and movies. Leonard and I actually brokered his nearly complete collection of Golden Age comics to a group headed by Ciorac (Bill Ponseti). The story of that transaction could be a book in itself. Chuck has been to most SDCC's and I'm looking forward to hearing his report of this year's event.

Two really wonderful guys from the early days of the hobby!

Rich

Richard O'Brien was doing his toy books

I was just speaking with a collector at SDCC and like me, he was inspired by O'Brien's wonderful book on the Golden Age of Comics.

At one point, I had a goal of obtaining copies of all the comics scanned (full page) scanned in the book, but eventually gave up on that quest!