• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warning Potentially Shilled Auction Stars Wars #1 35 cent variant

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to bring this book to everyone's attention.

Star Wars #1 35 Cent Variant

The seller is a new forum member (screen name: TheChick) and listed a link to the auction in the Dealers Ebay sales thread section.

One forum member questioned the new member for references because the new member/ebay seller had some questionable negative feedback recently.

Then I noticed that one of the bidders had more than 50% of his bids with this seller and had recently withdrawn 4 bids, and that those were two potential signs that someone was running the auction price up without the intent to follow through if they won.

When I called this potential thrill bid/shill bid to the original poster's attention, they responded by closing the thread and deleting the links to the auction item and their explanation of the feedback issue.

I would not have linked the bidding to a potential problem with the seller until I saw the deletion of the thread and the link to the auction item. To me, in my opinion, that is a highly questionable action to take when a simple explanation would have clarified what was happening.

At this point I think the rest of the forum needs to take heed and take notice as to what has occurred if they were planning on bidding.

Thanks for the heads up.

To be fair, bidder d***r(5) has only bid on two items (that weren't withdrawn) in the last 30 days and one was from this seller so I'm not sure the 50% number is meaningful. I would love to know which sellers d***r(5) bid on and retracted from.

True, and I would have thought the number of bids less than conclusive as well had the original poster not immediately deleted the posts in the thread.

4 bid retractions is a huge amount for someone with 5 total feedback though.

Thanks for the heads up.

To be fair, bidder d***r(5) has only bid on two items (that weren't withdrawn) in the last 30 days and one was from this seller so I'm not sure the 50% number is meaningful. I would love to know which sellers d***r(5) bid on and retracted from.

True, and I would have thought the number of bids less than conclusive as well had the original poster not immediately deleted the posts in the thread.

The deletion seems suspicious.

If you could prove that d***r withdrew from TheChick's ebay auctions that would be gold.

Thanks for the heads up.

The deletion seems suspicious.

If you could prove that d***r withdrew from TheChick's ebay auctions that would be gold.

I agree.

The new Ebay system makes that pretty tough to do.

So that's why I used "potentially" and "allegedly", ebay blocks access to most of the information what would prevent shilling from happening.