• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August C-Link Featured Auction Thread...

241 posts in this topic

New speculation on the first JLA.. Honestly its been undervalued for so long.

I lost out on the #1 by 5.00

I should have set my high bid for more but I planned to watch it and increase my bid.

However, I started watching a movie and FORGOT

Flash 129 9.4 750.00 oh how I overpaid for this book three years ago when there were only two

When I sold the Western Penn copy back at the end of the 2006, I think it was the first 9.4 certified copy that had been publicly put up for sale. Ever since, it seems like between Heritage and Comiclink there's a 9.4 or 9.6 copy in every auction.

And I think everyone of them is a new copy. That is the fear of every Highest Graded Copy buyer--- increased supply.

:applause:

To all the sellers and winning bidders

I came up with the big donut :sorry:

But was psyched to get this in the for sale section (thumbs u

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D4024%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=849436

That is an awesome pick up (worship)

I don't expect the 150k value to be going down, I just expect the PLOD value to be going up.

Agreed, I think this can be said for most High Grade GA and SA keys

If that were true, people would start literally manufacturing these books, i.e. taking lower-graded books and restoring them up...and that's a big part of the reason people don't like them in the first place. They're not found gold, they're crafted gold.

I disagree. You won't see these books manufactured anymore. To get a 9.0 plod you have to start with 7.5-8.5 blue. That is what the crooks did in the 80s when they could get away with. Now there is a sheriff in town and that just is not a value proposition anymore. Who in their right mind is going to put CT and trim an 8.0 book. You can't sell if for anything raw these days for big money so it has to be slabbed. And if it is slabbed you just lost 30-45K. So IMHO the census might change a bit but you won't see the 9.0 and above PLOD population increase much unless something major changes in how we preceive PLODs. So the value of these books could double maybe triple and I they would still be below what their blue value was before the surgery. It just goes to show what a terrible thing the dealer crooks did to our community by destroying high grade books just to make extra money.

I agree with that. Matt Nelson pointed out to me that all of the high grade PLODS came from very nice original books like the 7.5-8.5 range. Now it makes no sense to mess with one of those to bring it up. If there was still a raw market where dealers could push HG books, that would be a reason(for dealers who deceive) to restore a HG copy. But that is no more, anyone should be able to access the large market now.

BTW, the AF15 has 1 restored CGC book for every three CGC'd AF15's. The supply is somewhat large, 31 above the 9.0 level. I asked CGC about that PLOD 9.0 when I was checking on my 6.0 PLOD today. One grader gave it an 8.5, and the slight color touch is a marker, so permanent. It was likely about an 8.0 at best before the trimming etc.

The book I really wished I had tried harder for was the 9.4 ASM 14, that went for right at the GPA.

:applause:

To all the sellers and winning bidders

I came up with the big donut :sorry:

But was psyched to get this in the for sale section (thumbs u

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D4024%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=849436

That is an awesome pick up (worship)

Seriously nice pick up - just incredible presentation for the grade :banana:

Some continuation of recent price implosion trends:

The Duck implosion--9.4 FC #386, with white pages, sold for $10,925, even less than the $13,145 that another 9.4 copy sold for on Heritage just earlier this month.

Part of the further decline was undoubtedly because it's just a bad idea to sell Ducks on Comiclink, but it appears this book is still looking for a bottom.This was consistently a $20K+ book just a few years ago.

The JLA implosion--9.6 JLA #33 sold for $728, and would've sold for less if I hadn't been the underbidder at $678. This is the same copy that I sold on Heritage in February 2009 for $1673.

Some recent uptrends also continued, though. Particularly high grade war continues to be red hot.

9.6 OFF #90 for $513

9.4 OFF #89 for $313

9.4 Showcase #45 for $3700. I knew this one would be in demand, but wow!

Some continuation of recent price implosion trends:

The Duck implosion--9.4 FC #386, with white pages, sold for $10,925, even less than the $13,145 that another 9.4 copy sold for on Heritage just earlier this month.

Part of the further decline was undoubtedly because it's just a bad idea to sell Ducks on Comiclink, but it appears this book is still looking for a bottom.This was consistently a $20K+ book just a few years ago.

The JLA implosion--9.6 JLA #33 sold for $728, and would've sold for less if I hadn't been the underbidder at $678. This is the same copy that I sold on Heritage in February 2009 for $1673.

As a buyer I think ComicLink is a great place for people to sell Ducks as they always seem to close pretty low. I won my first two Ducks today and could not believe I got Uncle Scrooge #2 for only 45% of Overstreet, especially when there are only 10 copies in VF or above. (I do feel sorry for the seller). I was hoping to get Uncle Scrooge 1 cheaper than the $1,550 it closed for but still I think it is a fair price (had I know the 9.4 would close so low I might have gone for it).

Besides the previous 5 books I won I picked these two up in the last part of the auction today at very reasonable prices.

103062.jpg.459e65d1819a9f78ffafe5982488ce29.jpg

103063.jpg.390b6d29f6e4b38e4ed55ef5389cd35d.jpg

9.4 Showcase #45 for $3700.

Stout. Very Stout.

I am sure glad I didn't have that on my want list.