• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August C-Link Featured Auction Thread...

241 posts in this topic

Agree.

If one cared about such things, could it be sent in with a blue label request? Along with a lowered grade, would CGC bother to note the whole punch? Just curious. I don't know if I would personally want to put it in a blue holder or not.

Either way, great book and congrats.

That's very odd they would put hole a punch there hm

Some kid, decades ago, cost himself thousands. :P

Yeah, very weird placement to be sure Andrew. But its probably in the least obtrusive area of the cover visually (really, who cares about the Comic Code Stamp?) The rest of the book presents just beautifully.

To think that punch hole is the difference between this being a $2,500 or a $15,000 book.

On a side note, I'm glad this auction is almost over. My consignments for the Featured Auction just about broke even in the end, but overall, I'm still in the red and nothing I have left in my overall consignment is going to change that now.

Certainly a great time to be a buyer.

I agree, it's a great book as it is, minor deal for the collector. If a person wanted to sell it, with the CGC system, they'd manually cut that hole larger(slightly), then it's not a "hole punch" but a normal defect. The quirky methods of CGC often make no sense, real common sense. It's simply a beautiful book in any view, CGC should grade it with a blue label as it is, not qualified as they think it would be.

Congrats, I did the same thing for the PLOD 9.0, I wanted the book for me.

I agree, it's a great book as it is, minor deal for the collector. If a person wanted to sell it, with the CGC system, they'd manually cut that hole larger(slightly), then it's not a "hole punch" but a normal defect. The quirky methods of CGC often make no sense, real common sense. It's simply a beautiful book in any view, CGC should grade it with a blue label as it is, not qualified as they think it would be.

Congrats, I did the same thing for the PLOD 9.0, I wanted the book for me.

If memory serves, in some instances with GLODs, you can chose to have it graded as a universal "with the defect" that gives it a qualified grade.

Its why you have 9.4 GLOD Hulk # 181s with the Marvel stamp missing....what does the book grade otherwise? Somewhere in the 3.0/3.5/4.0 range?

In this case, I don't think the drop in grade would anywhere near that far.

I am absolutely THRILLED to have won the following book for the price I did:

RAD09B1B2010722_10258.jpg

The Qualified label states that there is a hole punched in the front cover (look at the Comics Code stamp). To me, if this is a 8.5 without the whole punch, it can't be any worse then a 7.0/6.5 with it. Really, would the book grade any lower if it was an identical size piece out of the edge, ala Marvel chipping?

Thank you to all you Green label haters who never even bothered to give such a sweet looking copy a chance. And for less then the going price of a Fine 6.0 to boot.

(worship)

Congrats George! Awesome looking TOS 39! That book presents so well. And I totally agree about the punch = to a Marvel "chip".

Swampies as a whole are in the toilet for some reason.

:wishluck:

Just until I get a House of Secrets 92, 9.2-9.4

Swamp Thing Wrightstons have sunk as well. I constantly watch these books on Ebay and even 9.6s are selling for $75.00 or less (not counting #1). I saw a 9 in 9.6 sell for $45.00 or so, I didnt get a bid placed in time. Great time to buy though. (thumbs u

Two more wins for me. Again the books I went after not very strongly I won but the ones I went strong on I didn't (shrug)

The X-men #4 completes my first title in my 1961-1965 CGC 8.0+ Marvel project (87 books of 366 left)

103128.jpg.1c2ab56a616acc339d21029da0233d55.jpg

103129.jpg.f83771dffccb9b47bab3d5162cb42467.jpg

The Qualified label states that there is a hole punched in the front cover (look at the Comics Code stamp). To me, if this is a 8.5 without the whole punch, it can't be any worse then a 7.0/6.5 with it. Really, would the book grade any lower if it was an identical size piece out of the edge, ala Marvel chipping?

Thank you to all you Green label haters who never even bothered to give such a sweet looking copy a chance. And for less then the going price of a Fine 6.0 to boot.

(worship)

Congrats George! Awesome looking TOS 39! That book presents so well. And I totally agree about the punch = to a Marvel "chip".

Thanks Christian, I'm pretty stoked. Haven't purchased a 1st tier SA Marvel key for my own collection in about six years....been too long.

(worship)

Nice book George. Can't go wrong with a nice book like that. congrats

Very nice.

I was looking at that group of Uncle Scrooge books(28 I think) just before they went off. I'd love to collect those, to read of course.

BTW, on the GLOD books, an ASM 238 9.6 went for $35 or so on CLink a while ago. I would have wanted that if I'd seen it coming. That one was missing the Tatooz inside. The Marvel Value Stamps were a big bad thing back in the 70's, boy they/we ruined a bunch of books.

(worship)

Thanks Christian, I'm pretty stoked. Haven't purchased a 1st tier SA Marvel key for my own collection in about six years....been too long.

You really have to look to find the hole punch. That comic was made for people that want the good stuff without paying for it. Awesome pick up.

(worship)

Thank you sir. You know, we were two booths away from one another at one of the impromptu dinners at this year's Heroes, and I don't think we even said "Hello" Andre. Next year, the first beer is on me. (thumbs u

(worship)

Thank you sir. You know, we were two booths away from one another at one of the impromptu dinners at this year's Heroes, and I don't think we even said "Hello" Andre. Next year, the first beer is on me. (thumbs u

Thanks, I think we met at Richard's booth then again at Gator's. I could be wrong cause I was on painkillers and loopy all weekend. Look forward to it

If that were my book, I'd reslab it as unqualified, no doubt about it. NICE PICKUP! :applause: And I agree that this isn't a worse defect than chipping, yet I'm sure CGC will hammer it as if it were...I find it to be a FAR lesser defect given that it's a perfect circle well-hidden in the code symbol. Chipping is irregular and very distracting, but that hole punch is about as non-distracting as it possibly could be due to the placement.