• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August C-Link Featured Auction Thread...

241 posts in this topic

A nearly identical price drop for the CONAN #1's over the same time frame... seems 9.8 bronze is getting hammered back down to Earth,,,

Not hammered... just... gently squeezed :gossip:

Why do you find this distasteful? People buy to flip all the time, including what I believe a majority of people on these boards. In this case, they were just going to relist on ComicLink, so instead of having Josh ship the book to him and then him ship it right back, I'm assuming he paid, told Josh to hold it, and then just listed the book.

The auction just ended the other night and the book is already back up for sale, yet the results of the first sale are not even appearing yet from the CL focused auction. You have to click at the top of the search to even find it.

Otherwise, potential buyers would see what it sold for and how it is already relisted, and have the first sale as a baseline.

So the picture is not adding up of a real sale taking place. Not yet, anyway.

Vegas baby. Gamble or stay home!

While the cover wrap for the first copy isn't great, it's still far superior to that of the second copy. With ultrahighgrade picture frames, I think this makes a huge difference in value, and it's dangerous to attempt to draw conclusions about the current market without looking at the copies in question.

Also, the 9.6 copy in this month's auction hit the 12 month GPA average, suggesting the market for this book continues to be solid.

I am absolutely THRILLED to have won the following book for the price I did:

RAD09B1B2010722_10258.jpg

The Qualified label states that there is a hole punched in the front cover (look at the Comics Code stamp). To me, if this is a 8.5 without the whole punch, it can't be any worse then a 7.0/6.5 with it. Really, would the book grade any lower if it was an identical size piece out of the edge, ala Marvel chipping?

Thank you to all you Green label haters who never even bothered to give such a sweet looking copy a chance. And for less then the going price of a Fine 6.0 to boot.

(worship)

Congrats George! Awesome looking TOS 39! That book presents so well. And I totally agree about the punch = to a Marvel "chip".

Thanks Christian, I'm pretty stoked. Haven't purchased a 1st tier SA Marvel key for my own collection in about six years....been too long.

You sir have a great eye for picking out books! :golfclap:

Anybody here win the AF 15 9.0 PLOD at $9101? I'm thinking if I could've negotiated that going in I definitely would've pulled the trigger...

:headbang:

RAD6BC4A201083_165758.jpg

A TRIMMED and restored copy going for $9k?? :o What's this world coming to???????!!???? doh!

here's some GPA info on unrestored 9.0:

9.0 Jul-2010

2010 (1) $150,000Hi

2004 (1) $48,000Hi

2002 (1) $36,800Hi

so, this resto'd 9.0 went for 6% of recent unresto'd. pretty harsh considering the book it is and the grade. jus' my 2c

It's a bit beyond harsh; but it is the market.

To me, it sends a kind of message that I predict might soften as time goes on.

When I see someone pay 150k for an unrestored 9.0 but under 10k for a trimmed copy w/color touch, it's almost as though the market is saying the degree of preservation is almost insignificant as some will pay 140k more to get the copy without the trim and color touch.

Now if this 9.0 PLOD was never trimmed and never color touched, would it be a 9.0, an 8.5, an 8.0, etc? It would still be a HG most likely, well preserved albeit not perfect.

But collectors in todays market are so turned off by trimming (especially) and color touch because of the stigma created by people trying to deceive by means of restoring a book.

It would bother me beyond words if I bought a book raw that was advertised as unrestored only to have it come back with a purple label. But once it's slabbed, you know what you're getting and for me personally, I'm not nearly as turned off so long as I know what I'm getting and the book comes with a discount.

A 94% discount is pretty generous; but that's the market.

As time goes on and if both an unrestored and restored 9.0 (w/trim & ct) come up for auction at the same time, I tend to think that eventually collectors will find it hard to justify paying 140k more just to be without that degree of restoration.

The message that I'm getting is that collectors are hating restoration more than they're loving a well preserved super-grail.

I don't expect the 150k value to be going down, I just expect the PLOD value to be going up.

It`s probally good for the unrestored market that it only went for $9000 because if these start to go higher then the unrestoreds will go down. The reason the other went for the higher price is because it`s unrestored, if the plods ever become meaningful it will lessen the blue labels value. 2c

so in layman terms if the value of plods go up than blue labels values will decrease as blue labels won`t be considered special anymore.

Earlier I doubted with all due respect Flash105's idea that this book would be a 20K book without the trim-job. With this one going for the price it did. He might be right actually.!!

I think that there is a rather decent pot of gold waiting for those who chooses to travel deep into frankenberry. That is if you know which plods to snag. If you dont have that knowledge or is an investor one should just remain seated within the blue label haven. But to get things straight (as I have heard them):

Slight Restoe can raise a book 0-1 grade

Moderate Restoe can raise a book up till 3 grades.

Extensive is more problematic since it can raise up till 5 grades.

An Extensive restored book can be anwhere between 85% original and 10% original. But I dont think slight and moderate plods can be deemed a completely unknown quantity (as claimed bt many boardies). Especially in hand its possible to make an experience based judgement as to how nice the book was *before* restoe. On one side Plod is a category that encompasses almost completely untouched HG gems as well as completely reconstructed books (frankenbooks). But the franken category as cgc has defined it, is so broad that it encompasses books of *very* different quality: An Ext book can be a 85% original or be completely rebuild (thumbs u

Edit:

and the claim 'that if plods go up then blue labels will fall' I find unfounded. There is a rather large "price space" for plods to grow in without getting anywhere near their blue label twins - pricewise.

Why do you find this distasteful? People buy to flip all the time, including what I believe a majority of people on these boards. In this case, they were just going to relist on ComicLink, so instead of having Josh ship the book to him and then him ship it right back, I'm assuming he paid, told Josh to hold it, and then just listed the book.

The auction just ended the other night and the book is already back up for sale, yet the results of the first sale are not even appearing yet from the CL focused auction. You have to click at the top of the search to even find it.

Otherwise, potential buyers would see what it sold for and how it is already relisted, and have the first sale as a baseline.

So the picture is not adding up of a real sale taking place. Not yet, anyway.

The results of the last Focused Auction are now posted as final sales, and it does appear that House of Secrets 92 CGC 9.0 which sold for $430 and was relisted at $675 is not coming up as a final sale. Interesting!

hm

Swampies as a whole are in the toilet for some reason.

:wishluck:

Just until I get a House of Secrets 92, 9.2-9.4

Swamp Thing Wrightstons have sunk as well. I constantly watch these books on Ebay and even 9.6s are selling for $75.00 or less (not counting #1). I saw a 9 in 9.6 sell for $45.00 or so, I didnt get a bid placed in time. Great time to buy though. (thumbs u

Well, now we know what happened with the House of Secrets 92 CGC 9.4 that sold for just $1,400.

House of Secrets #92 CGC 9.4

Either Charlie/Comicsmylar didn't like the final auction results, or he is doing this regular thing and buying up all the high-grade copies he can get his hands on.

The Qualified label states that there is a hole punched in the front cover (look at the Comics Code stamp). To me, if this is a 8.5 without the whole punch, it can't be any worse then a 7.0/6.5 with it. Really, would the book grade any lower if it was an identical size piece out of the edge, ala Marvel chipping?

Thank you to all you Green label haters who never even bothered to give such a sweet looking copy a chance. And for less then the going price of a Fine 6.0 to boot.

(worship)

Congrats George! Awesome looking TOS 39! That book presents so well. And I totally agree about the punch = to a Marvel "chip".

Thanks Christian, I'm pretty stoked. Haven't purchased a 1st tier SA Marvel key for my own collection in about six years....been too long.

Somebody asked me to clarify the Green Label for them and I told them to imagine two copies of Fantastic Four #1 that both appear virtually the same.

If one of them looked perfect but had an ad page missing, it would get a green label.

If the other looked perfect but the ad page was signed by Jack Kirby, it would also get a green label.

(worship)

Somebody asked me to clarify the Green Label for them and I told them to imagine two copies of Fantastic Four #1 that both appear virtually the same.

If one of them looked perfect but had an ad page missing, it would get a green label.

If the other looked perfect but the ad page was signed by Jack Kirby, it would also get a green label.

I don't believe that's true. If Kirby signed the ad page, it would get a blue label with a note on the label regarding the signature... something like "name written on ad page", or "Jack Kirby written on ad page", or something like that; I can't remember for sure what the note would be, or if CGC varies in what is noted depending on whether it "looks" like the real deal or not, but it would definitely get a blue label as opposed to a green. If it was signed on the front cover, you might be able to request CGC grade it green or blue, with the grade assigned accordingly. 2c

(worship)

I don't believe that's not true. If Kirby signed the ad page, it would get a blue label with a note on the label regarding the signature... something like "name written on ad page", or "Jack Kirby written on ad page", or something like that; I can't remember for sure what the note would be, or if CGC varies in what is noted depending on whether it "looks" like the real deal or not, but it would definitely get a blue label as opposed to a green. If it was signed on the front cover, you might be able to request CGC grade it green or blue, with the grade assigned accordingly. 2c

(thumbs u

I don't believe that's true. If Kirby signed the ad page, it would get a blue label with a note on the label regarding the signature... something like "name written on ad page", or "Jack Kirby written on ad page", or something like that; I can't remember for sure what the note would be, or if CGC varies in what is noted depending on whether it "looks" like the real deal or not, but it would definitely get a blue label as opposed to a green.

It looks like this:

Spidey42.jpg

I don't believe that's true. If Kirby signed the ad page, it would get a blue label with a note on the label regarding the signature... something like "name written on ad page", or "Jack Kirby written on ad page", or something like that; I can't remember for sure what the note would be, or if CGC varies in what is noted depending on whether it "looks" like the real deal or not, but it would definitely get a blue label as opposed to a green.

It looks like this:

Spidey42.jpg

I stand corrected. I have some books in slabs with green labels, but either CGC has changed its policy since then or it's different when the signs are on the cover.

it's different when the signs are on the cover.

It is different when they're on the front, that's when they give it a green label, although I think they'll give it a blue label and downgrade for the sig if you ask them to.

(worship)

I don't believe that's not true. If Kirby signed the ad page, it would get a blue label with a note on the label regarding the signature... something like "name written on ad page", or "Jack Kirby written on ad page", or something like that; I can't remember for sure what the note would be, or if CGC varies in what is noted depending on whether it "looks" like the real deal or not, but it would definitely get a blue label as opposed to a green. If it was signed on the front cover, you might be able to request CGC grade it green or blue, with the grade assigned accordingly. 2c

(thumbs u

I am in concurrence! (thumbs u

It is different when they're on the front, that's when they give it a green label, although I think they'll give it a blue label and downgrade for the sig if you ask them to.

No, my JIM 83 had a blue label and it said "Stan Lee written on front cover".

You mean it's not different on all books.

';cause I have books signed on the cover that got green labels because of it, and I have seen others that received the same treatment

Are you agreeing or refuting? Your description agrees, but the "no" refutes. ???

Are you agreeing or refuting? Your description agrees, but the "no" refutes. ???

Neither agreeing or disagreeing, just presenting a fact. My JIM 83 got a blue label even though it had a signature on the cover even though I never asked them to make it blue, and I don`t think they downgraded it for the writing because I thought the grade was fair (if anything, I thought it was actually generous).

Neither agreeing or disagreeing, just presenting a fact. My JIM 83 got a blue label even though it had a signature on the cover even though I never asked them to make it blue, and I don`t think they downgraded it for the writing because I thought the grade was fair (if anything, I thought it was actually generous).

Was it a 9.4 or higher? I suspect they don't downgrade for sigs much at 9.2 and below unless it's significantly large and distracting. The highest "Dennis Kjolso"-signed Winnipeg book I've seen was a 9.4, I believe it was a Spidey #27.

They may not give Qualified grades to books with front-cover sigs at all after they introduced the Signature Series. It never made much sense to attach the GLOD stigma to a book given that they barely downgrade for most signatures anyway.