• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magnus Robot Fighter Collecting Thread !! Russ Manning !!

41 posts in this topic

Couldn't find any appreciation thread about this other great title with awesome art by Russ Manning so I decided to start one here. :sumo:

Show us your great Magnus covers. Which issues of the serie would you consider as the top 10 most beautiful covers ?

Let's talk about scarcity of the issues, which issues of the serie would you consider as the top 10 most difficult to find in high grade ?

Or you could also show your Manning art on other issues (Tarzan, Korak, etc).

Russ Manning fans, let's start a thread here as well !! :headbang:

Let's start with some scans :acclaim:

Couldn't find any appreciation thread about this other great title with awesome art by Russ Manning so I decided to start one here. :sumo:

Show us your great Magnus covers. Which issues of the serie would you consider as the top 10 most beautiful covers ?

Let's talk about scarcity of the issues, which issues of the serie would you consider as the top 10 most difficult to find in high grade ?

Let's start with some scans :acclaim:

Awesome idea for a thread!!! A high grade Magnus 1 has always been one of my collecting goals.

The only issue I had with the series was I thought the art was so much nicer on the inside than the covers. They should have let Russ Manning draw the covers.

from DCBS website

MAGNUS, ROBOT FIGHTER VOLUME 1 Russ Manning (W/A), Robert Schaefer (W/A), and Eric Freiwald (W) On sale Dec 22 FC, 216 pages $19.99 TPB, 7' x 10' These beloved tales of science-adventure first ran in 1963 and 1964 and have influenced countless writers and artists throughout the decades. Created by fan-favorite Russ Manning-famous for his spectacular work on the Tarzan newspaper strips of the sixties-Magnus, Robot Fighter was something of his 'Tarzan of the Future,' and Manning's run on the series came to be known as a classic in science-fiction comics. This volume reprints the first seven issues in the original 1960s Magnus, Robot Fighter series, with unparalleled art by the legendary Russ Manning, a foreword by Mike Royer, and retouched interiors scanned from the original comic books! o Contains Magnus, Robot Fighter issues #1-#7 (1963-1964).

btw a huge Original Magnus fan! Manning was Byrne before Byrne was.

My favorite cover of the run is Magnus 19. It has all of the elements of a great cover...

Ghosts - check

Robots - check

Ghost Robots - check

Scooby-Doo villains on funky contraptions - check

Painted - check

Good color palette - check

Great color balance - check

(And a special tip of the hat to the book's designer. The yellow in Gold Key, Magnus, 4000 A.D., and Fear Unlimited are in balance with the original image; as are the white in Robot Fighter and the field of text. Nicely done.)

The only thing that is missing is Leeja Clane in that dishy black dress.

magnus19.jpg

My favorite cover of the run is Magnus 19. It has all of the elements of a great cover...

Ghosts - check

Robots - check

Ghost Robots - check

Scooby-Doo villains on funky contraptions - check

Painted - check

Good color palette - check

Great color balance - check

(And a special tip of the hat to the book's designer. The yellow in Gold Key, Magnus, 4000 A.D., and Fear Unlimited are in balance with the original image; as are the white in Robot Fighter and the field of text. Nicely done.)

The only thing that is missing is Leeja Clane in that dishy black dress.

magnus19.jpg

"Funky contraption" doesn't begin to capture the magic. :grin: