• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon

49 posts in this topic

Be careful about buying any black cover books from Dale. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I brought some nice books to the show, although not my best stuff. I didn't know how many high grade collectors there would be this year.

All in all, sales were brisk and I enjoyed meeting collectors I had only corresponded with via email or on the phone.

I did bring some early high grade slabbed Silver. I guess you didn't make it over to our table Steve?

I'll definitely be back next year and will bring more stuff.

First of all, where was your table? Did you have a sign saying Quality Comics? What CGC books were on your wall? I would hate to think I missed you?

Second, thanks for the advice on Dale and the black cover books. I feel pretty comfortable with the three books I bought from him. I looked them over pretty good and they were high-grade bronze Neal Adam's books. Most of his wall books were nice, but slightly below the grade I was looking forward. Plus, even if they were the grade I wanted, my guess is (just like most other dealers there), the unslabbed price was at or above a CGC copy. So why take the risk.

Lastly, did you pick up any good books?

Second, thanks for the advice on Dale and the black cover books. I feel pretty comfortable with the three books I bought from him. I looked them over pretty good and they were high-grade bronze Neal Adam's books.

Dale usually comes to Heroes Con and I've bought books from him on and off over the years. However, I have picked up books and noticed color touch on them without even having to take them out of the bag. Specifically, I recall an otherwise nice-looking HoM 177 (Classic Adams cat/graveyard cover) with definite CT. He does have a nice selection!

Second, thanks for the advice on Dale and the black cover books. I feel pretty comfortable with the three books I bought from him. I looked them over pretty good and they were high-grade bronze Neal Adam's books.

Dale usually comes to Heroes Con and I've bought books from him on and off over the years. However, I have picked up books and noticed color touch on them without even having to take them out of the bag. Specifically, I recall an otherwise nice-looking HoM 177 (Classic Adams cat/graveyard cover) with definite CT. He does have a nice selection!

893whatthe.gif If I bought any restored books, I'm gonna be very PO'd!

If I bought any restored books, I'm gonna be very PO'd!

Did you buy any books from Dale?

Also, if you buy enough unslabbed books, there is a real chance you will buy a restored book sometime.

I'm pretty good spotting color touches, but black cover books are tougher since some non-color breaking stresslines can give the appearance of color touches. But I'm not sure I would be able to spot professional cleaning or even slight glue (tear seal) repair, especially if it was on the inside centerfold.

My rule of thumb, is if I think there is any chance of a color touch, I avoid the book.

That's why I pretty much buy CGC books.

All/most of his black cover books will be color-touched. His other books are usually clean.

I was set up with Bruce Ellsworth and Howard Rockman in front of the restrooms. As you walk in to the Con, turn right and go about 3 aisles down. We were the end booth.

I had JIM #89 CGC 8.0, JIM #110 CGC 9.2, Showcase #11 CGG 8.5, DD #131 CGC 9.4 and others that I can't recall right now.

I had a box of slabbed books, CGC and CGG up front as well as some nice raw material. Howard had a nice original owner collection that he was selling as well, mostly mid to late 60s high grade DC/Marvel. All have white pages.

Are Dale's color touches easy to spot? I will post scans of my purchases and check them again for restoration. He had lots of great books, so it's a shame if he color touches a few books, just make a little bit more money.

Also, I really don't remember your table. I doubt that I missed it, but maybe I did (that would stink).

DId you buy again?

They are generally easy to spot, but it depends on the book, of course. If it's a black cover, there's a 90% chance it's had some work done.

I made the rounds and handed out my wantlist (for JIMs) to a few dealer friends of mine. The keys were generally overpriced and there weren't that many deals to be had for any big books. I did buy some nice bronze from "Read More Comics". A collection came up to our table and I purchased some of those books. None were high grade except for the Moderns. I cherry picked the boxes and came up with about 40 books.

Overall.

Did you see as many good raw books as in years past? Or will it be a trend that every year there will be less and less quality unslabbed books (with CGC books selling for above eBay type prices).

after . . .
foreheadslap.gif

That....will leave a mark! I believe Dale travels far and wide doing shows, he's in FL and NC for sure, he's out of Kentucky(?) so he probably does the midwest shows, and I believe greggy mentioned he does SD as well.

Quality,

I think I remember your table now that you mention the box of CGC and CGG books. Did you have a bunch of Pedigrees from the Pacific Coast collection????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who is this Dale that everyone is talking about and where was his table because I bought books from several dealers?

What's the name of his shop?

Did you see as many good raw books as in years past? Or will it be a trend that every year there will be less and less quality unslabbed books (with CGC books selling for above eBay type prices).

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but for another high grade collector's opinion: the show was better overall then the last two Mega-Cons for high grade stuff (at least books in the $10-$200 range). Last year was absolutely horrid. It seems the quality of dealers was better this year, and that most had a "new collection" or two to showcase.

Still not seeing too many (if any) high grade early Marvels or DCs in the $1K-$10K range.

I think 9.2 and better raw silver is drying up at the cons, at least for reasonable prices. The only way that I've acquired early to mid raw high grade silver lately at shows is if a collector sells directly to me or if I buy from a dealer who just purchased the books from a collector. Otherwise, it's usually in a slab already.

You can still find raw high grade Bronze if you look hard enough.

I plan on bringing high grade raw books to cons for years to come, so maybe I can help reverse that trend. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Seriously though, at the bigger shows, Harley, Motor City, Metropolis, Bob Storms (and others) will still bring nice raw material to sell.

Quality,

I think I remember your table now that you mention the box of CGC and CGG books. Did you have a bunch of Pedigrees from the Pacific Coast collection????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who is this Dale that everyone is talking about and where was his table because I bought books from several dealers?

Dale Robert's Comics, I think.

Yeah, that was me with the PC books and the CGC/CGG books.

Quality,

Dale Robert's Comics, I think.

Yeah, that was me with the PC books and the CGC/CGG books.

You had a nice selection, and I needed some of the ASM's, but the pedigree's were just too darn expensive.

Not talking about your pricing necessarily, since I know Pedigrees sell for a premium, but man it seemed like some of them were 4X would a normal CGC book in that grade would sell for 893whatthe.gif

I think you also had some nice raw bronze books to the left of those boxes around the corner 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'll ask him. He lives in Tampa now.

Don't bother. His brain is probably to fried to even remember Santa Fe. I talked to him for 20 minutes in Vegas and he never remembered me. I guess 15 years and 15 tons of pot just creates to much "smoke" to see through. But at least he eats healthy! 27_laughing.gif

If I bought any restored books, I'm gonna be very PO'd!

Did you buy any books from Dale?

Also, if you buy enough unslabbed books, there is a real chance you will buy a restored book sometime.

I'm pretty good spotting color touches, but black cover books are tougher since some non-color breaking stresslines can give the appearance of color touches. But I'm not sure I would be able to spot professional cleaning or even slight glue (tear seal) repair, especially if it was on the inside centerfold.

My rule of thumb, is if I think there is any chance of a color touch, I avoid the book.

That's why I pretty much buy CGC books.

I bought around a dozen or more books from Dale. I don't recall any black covers but I'll check when I get home. They were mostly in 30-50 dollar range, it would seem unlikely someone would color touch them. The most expensive was the Superman 123 but that has sort of a yellow/orange cover,

I know what you mean, I'd love to always buy CGC books but I don't have that kind of money. I've bought restored before and probably will again. But it really bothers me that a seemingly nice guy would do that to people. And I mean that in the general sense. I'm not condemning Dale unless some of my books are restored.

And I did hit your booth, I remember seeing the box of CGG books. I don;t think I bought anything form you though but you had a nice selection.